| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Other Video Games > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Super Street Fighter IV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Street Fighter IV
    Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:06pm
I was wondering, does anyone here play this game? Sure, there's people at shoryuken.com, but this site is the s**t! Haha, well, if you're interested, add me on PSN. My ID is same as this one, Zoltrekun. Oh and by the way, there's SSF4 Arcade Edition coming soon, both as DLC and game disk (you can choose). Cya!
gr01n5h07 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gr01n5h07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 7:49pm
I think a lot of us have it, like me, but don't play it.  I'm sure I would play it more if I had a clue what the combos were, and could put down the 5 other games I am currently playing.
Bots > Me > valjohn > Syzygy
PSN/XBL: gr01n5h07, MLP_gr01n5h07, sHoCkD_ThE_wOrLd, JFF_DuCkTaPe
Zoltrekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:43pm
I can give you some tips;
 Don't switch characters if you're new to the game. Pick your favorite and play with him/her all the time.
 Focus rather on your tactic than combos. You'll be learning combos as you move up. And there are many tactics you can focus on(offense, defense, mind games, mixups...). Keep in mind that Street Fighter is all about footsies. Term ''footsies'' essentially means - controlling spacing. There are two types: Spacing between you and your opponent, and spacing between any of you and the corners. First of, every character has his own distance priorities. Let's compare, say, Ryu and Ken. With Ryu, you will be most efficient while standing not too close, neither too far from opponent. This way, you can really play some quality mind games. What makes Ryu strong character is that he is well balanced all-rounder. He has good special moves, solid normal moves, not too fast, but not slow either. Simply put, he's an excellent ''poke'' character.
Ken, on the other hand, doesn't have that kind of a balance. His moves are faster, but because they are not very solid, Ken lacks some defense qualities compared to Ryu. But because of his speed, better startup invincibility frames on specials, call it priority if you like, he is considered rush down character.
 Now, controlling space means advantage. Corners are places you want to keep out of, but at the same time, push your enemy into it. Not being able to move backwards keeps your options limited, and thus you become much more predictable to read, control and manipulate. Stay out of it.
 Speaking of controlling space and predictability, think about -what a fireball does? It controls space to your advantage. Opponent will be forced to make an action out of few choices. If you can predict what his next move will be, you already 1/2 hit him. Second 1/2 is reaction, and that comes with time.

Watch this fight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y15txcersc

Learning curve isn't walk in a park, but I tell you, it's worth every second of it. Epic legendary game.
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Zoltrekun

Don't switch characters if you're new to the game. Pick your favorite and play with him/her all the time.
 Focus rather on your tactic than combos. You'll be learning combos as you move up. And there are many tactics you can focus on(offense, defense, mind games, mixups...). Keep in mind that Street Fighter is all about footsies. Term ''footsies'' essentially means - controlling spacing. There are two types: Spacing between you and your opponent, and spacing between any of you and the corners. First of, every character has his own distance priorities. Let's compare, say, Ryu and Ken. With Ryu, you will be most efficient while standing not too close, neither too far from opponent. This way, you can really play some quality mind games. What makes Ryu strong character is that he is well balanced all-rounder. He has good special moves, solid normal moves, not too fast, but not slow either. Simply put, he's an excellent ''poke'' character.
Ken, on the other hand, doesn't have that kind of a balance. His moves are faster, but because they are not very solid, Ken lacks some defense qualities compared to Ryu. But because of his speed, better startup invincibility frames on specials, call it priority if you like, he is considered rush down character.
 Now, controlling space means advantage. Corners are places you want to keep out of, but at the same time, push your enemy into it. Not being able to move backwards keeps your options limited, and thus you become much more predictable to read, control and manipulate. Stay out of it.
 Speaking of controlling space and predictability, think about -what a fireball does? It controls space to your advantage. Opponent will be forced to make an action out of few choices. If you can predict what his next move will be, you already 1/2 hit him. Second 1/2 is reaction, and that comes with time.

Watch this fight

Learning curve isn't walk in a park, but I tell you, it's worth every second of it. Epic legendary game.

There are lots of things to learn if you are new, but if someone was serious the first thing you should do is pick a character you would like to learn and go to the training stage, In that stage with the squares you will see how spacing works, how to zone and more importantly what whiffs (misses). One example is that if you are ryu and you throw a fireball with the jab button you can recover in time to input a dragon punch to punish an opponent jumping over that fireball this does not work with medium or fierce fireball or EX. 

Zoltrekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:11pm
YINYANG would you like to play some matches sometimes?
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:21pm

YINYANG would you like to play some matches sometimes?

Im not into street fighter anymore, but to be honest the netcode is garbage and  I dont even think its worth playing since im from Canada and use Akuma. He has many mixups but with lag its very frustrating for online play.

Edit: Offline with friends is still fun , but we always end up playing madden since none of them are good at the game.

gr01n5h07 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gr01n5h07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:13pm

Watch this fight

All of that I do understand.  I used to play the older SF games a lot and even had a 4 year winning streak going sometime in the mid 1990's.   The thing about SF is that when 2 good players fight it is all about about maximizing damage when someone makes a mistake, and this is where knowledge of the combos will lead to victory and not knowing them will lead to defeat.   I watched that video and both guys have good tactics but the guy who uses Akuma won because of his combos ;)
Zoltrekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:53pm
YIN, netcode isn't garbage. I play just fine.
gr01n, you're wrong. Ok, you're partially right, combos do matter, but they do not decide the winner. Tekken and its juggling system does that. SF is a different story.
gr01n5h07 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote gr01n5h07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 1:37pm

YIN, netcode isn't garbage. I play just fine.
gr01n, you're wrong. Ok, you're partially right, combos do matter, but they do not decide the winner. Tekken and its juggling system does that. SF is a different story.
Combos just take away way too much life / health not to use them.  In the video, I like the way Ryu is played, kind of like the way Ryu is used in the older games which have shorter and less damaging combos.   On the other hand the guy using Akuma needs those combos to win.  Akuma would not have won if he did not use that long punishing combo in round 2 :)

Hmmm... you got me interested again... I'll put down MK for now and try SSFIV again...
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 2:05pm
SF4 plays better online than Tekken.  Also, Akuma has second lowest Hit points in SF4. 
Street Fighter is MW2, and Tekken is UT3.   ;)
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
Zoltrekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 3:41pm
gr01n5h07, I'm glad i did it :)

Look at this one, Daigo VS Lamerboi, evo 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xYLVD379aI

An interesting match, and I really like how commentators are describing what's going on.
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 4:02pm

gr01n5h07, I'm glad i did it :)

Look at this one, Daigo VS Lamerboi, evo 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xYLVD379aI

An interesting match, and I really like how commentators are describing what's going on.
That video was gay as hell.
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
chisox666 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote chisox666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by gr01n5h07

I think a lot of us have it, like me, but don't play it.  I'm sure I would play it more if I had a clue what the combos were, and could put down the 5 other games I am currently playing.

LOL, this^! popped it in for 5 mins once PSN initially went down, then it got replaced by AC Brotherhood pretty damn quick!
get fragged

Misery Index - Heirs To Thievery
Zoltrekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:46pm
newbs :p
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 1:35am
Hey Zolt, I still play if you're interested in a few matches. I main Rog and Dudley, and i mainly just mess around with the other characters.
Zoltrekun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zoltrekun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 8:04am
Of course, add me on PSN, ID - Zoltrekun

Sorry for late reply, I wasn't on this forum for a while.
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 11:40pm
It's all good, but I kinda ditched that game now. It's too foul for me, and arcade edition just made things worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply