| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Upload speeds/online gaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Crypto-_-421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upload speeds/online gaming
    Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:48am
Been wondering how critical upload speed is and what is a decent speed for multiplayer online? One Meg, two Meg? About to get a package that is 25/25 Dwn & up. Been running 10/1. I think upload speed is just as crucial as download!! Any thoughts?
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:27am
25 up seems a bit excessive. I get by fine with 2 - 3 up.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:33am
Decent speed is about:

Download: 1448 kb/s
Upload: 324 kb/s

Ping: Around 56ms 
Distance: 50 mi

This is my own actually and its running great. Hardly any lag at all.
I think you could run at a download 1000 kb/s min. 
But below that you could experience some frame loss and lag issues.

Upload speed is just as important as download speed tho. Upload speed is the rate at which you can send data to the host and the players of your game.

Hope that answers your question.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
Crucial Sport 16GB 1866 RAM
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Kit 1M
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
RpZ-Xot1Cz View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote RpZ-Xot1Cz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:37am
Mine-=

Download-2784kb/s
Upload-454kb/s

Very laggy i got to admit
im tired.
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:40am
try to get alteast 1MB for your upload speed.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:19am
All the packets you send and receive in online gaming is limited by 1)Ping  2)data rate

Think of it this way; if a guy shoots your character, all of that information has to come downstream to your device (PS3 in this case) and then needs to be sent back round trip to his device so the guy that shot your character sees it fall.  Your overall experience will be reflective of the lowest common denominator in your connection speed and Ping rate.

Ping rate is just how clean and direct your connection is to the host.  The more "hops" your machine makes to the host, the more likely you are to run in to a slow connection, bogged down router, etc.  This is outside of your control.

It's really a combination of both User's speed that affects overall game play.  This is best seen when a player with "2 bars" joins your team in a game like Black Ops.  His data rate pulls down the entire team.  The same is true for games like BF3, where everyone can have a great data rate, but the load and activity from flying vehicles, ground vehicles and foot players is sending so much data concurrently, there is obvious frame drop and lag.

Long story short, get 1.5Mb to 5Mb up speed for the best available experience.  The download speeds seem to take care of themselves (unless your on a budget connection) and many ISPs use "Burstable" downstream data rates to accomodate video and online gaming activity.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Crypto-_-421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Crypto-_-421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 12:25pm
Thanks knot, bain and others! Feedback was helpful!! Probably run with 20/2!! Had 10/1 and had virtually no lag in resistance 3 unlike ut/3 laggy as hell at times. Moh runs smooth.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 12:29pm
Just remember that most ISPs do not guarantee you the top speed, just "up to" that top speed. I have 25 down and have seen it vary from 37 to 17. It's cable so alot has to do with how many other people in the vicinity are online downloading.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 12:34pm
Just out of curiousity, what is a good ping number?
RpZ-Xot1Cz View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote RpZ-Xot1Cz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:01pm
i think 25-- or less than 45..
im tired.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by BAIN

Just out of curiousity, what is a good ping number?

<50 = excellent
<100 = good/ok

These are in milliseconds.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:08pm
SWEET!!! When I run SpeedTest it's usally around 15.
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:13pm

That's the ping for the server running the speed test. Your computer is usually sending a tiny packet to get the quickest response. Not what you'll get in game. Each server will have a different ping based on your connection to that particular server and the type of information that is being sent/processed/responded to. The lower the ping means two things, you're close to the server your are connecting to and the server and your bandwidth are minimally restricted when communicating.

You can have a .5MB download bandwidth and still achieve those ping rates.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Pinnacle

That's the ping for the server running the speed test. Not what you'll get in game. Each server will have a different ping based on your connection to that particular server. The lower the ping means two things, you're close to the server your are connecting to and the server and your bandwidth are minimally restricted when communicating.

You can have a .5MB download bandwidth and still achieve those ping levels.
thanks. way to burst my bubble, lol.
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 1:23pm

That's the ping for the server running the speed test. Not what you'll get in game. Each server will have a different ping based on your connection to that particular server. The lower the ping means two things, you're close to the server your are connecting to and the server and your bandwidth are minimally restricted when communicating.

Not trying to burst your bubble. The servers that are used for gaming are usually junk. That is why people have ping rate issues. Not to mention that they are usually running 100s of servers from a single T-3 connection which screws the user connections. The gaming industry wants to sell disks with minimal post-sale support. That is why dedicated servers are usually not that great. They are usually cheap computers, not real servers. Your connection sounds awesome, but uping the Bandwidth won't see ping rate improvement at those levels.
lDEATHl-MACHINE View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:10pm

ISP's do not ever give you equil up load as down load, it doesnt work that way.  its generaly around 1/5 to  1/3rd but your upload is not the matter of connecting to a server, upload is what determines your host or abililtly to send not recieve so for gaming it doesnt matter.  the equipment matters most imo cause if you have fast net but sh!t gear you will have sh!t net.

my internet is
25mb download
4.5mb upload
and i use a $300 netgear dual band router with bandwidth priority.
it can be set to only give bandwidth based on how you set it so you can prioritize what equipment get how much of you net. 

you would have to have a 100mb download to get 25mb upload
it probably is 2.5 up load which would make sense.
I am an Exit!psn KuPcAKeDESTR0YER.NoTh1nG__FaCe.Y1NsSeVeRiTy.SuM_RANDOMN008. Portal sits deep within the eye. The eye of Y1NsSeVeRiTy rewards understanding.XBLgametag lDEATHl MACHINE
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:15pm

Not trying to burst your bubble. The servers that are used for gaming are usually junk. That is why people have ping rate issues. Not to mention that they are usually running 100s of servers from a single T-3 connection which screws the user connections. The gaming industry wants to sell disks with minimal post-sale support. That is why dedicated servers are usually not that great. They are usually cheap computers, not real servers. Your connection sounds awesome, but uping the Bandwidth won't see ping rate improvement at those levels.
again wifi and your gear will make a big difference in your ping as well.
with a cheap belkin surf n go router and my ps3 on wifi i would ping 56 to chicago
with my netgear with hardline connection i ping anywhere from 16 to 32 and thats at least 240miles from my house, hell i even ping average 56 from minnesota to newyork and im not sure how many miles that is but im sure in 1000plus
I am an Exit!psn KuPcAKeDESTR0YER.NoTh1nG__FaCe.Y1NsSeVeRiTy.SuM_RANDOMN008. Portal sits deep within the eye. The eye of Y1NsSeVeRiTy rewards understanding.XBLgametag lDEATHl MACHINE
iTz-He4DSh0T View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote iTz-He4DSh0T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:34pm
16Mb Download 1Mb Upload + Fastpath Enabled for Better Ping Smile

Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:46pm
Open a DOS Prompt (windows) and do a Trace Route to a known server (any server will do).  You'll see a list of hops and the speed between the hops.  It will look like this:

c:\tracert iamgaming.com

I'm on wireless so the first hop is to my router, which from where I'm sitting is 13Ms.  Next hop is to my cable modem, then I jump around in my ISP for 3 hops, then to the ISP for my ISP (none of them own the their own cable), then to the ISP for the server host, then to the server host, then to the router/switch rack the server is on and then finally to the server itself.

There can be and usually are; firewalls, load balancing servers, switches and routers that you jump through on one given test, which will not show up the next time you test it.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by XxXDEATHXxX101

with a cheap belkin surf n go router and my ps3 on wifi i would ping 56 to chicago
with my netgear with hardline connection i ping anywhere from 16 to 32 and thats at least 240miles from my house, hell i even ping average 56 from minnesota to newyork and im not sure how many miles that is but im sure in 1000plus
WiFi and your gear effect ping, not because of your bandwidth, but because they are restrictive appliances. The point of a router is to make multiple devices share a single connection. Therefore, a router that is less restrictive would lead to lowered ping. This has nothing to do with the effect caused by bandwidth (your internet connection). If you want to know what your true ping is to a specific server, plug your PS3 directly into the cable moden and check that way. That is the least restrictive check.

Also the recieving server has a play in this equation. So distance is not the greatest factor in ping. s h i t recieving server = s h i t response time.

Also Aqua's post is even moe money in explaining the factors invovled.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 4:54pm
A note on wireless...

At one point I ran 4 UT3 servers wirelessly from my garage - all on the same box.  ISP bandwidth was 20/5.  Nobody had any idea they were wireless.  The box was set up for a 300Mb data stream at 5.8MHz, used QUAD Core P4 at 2.3GHz, 7,200 RPM WD Scorpio Blue Drives in RAID 10 configuration, 750W power supply and had 16 Gb RAM.  IF SSD was available, I would have used them.  That would have been sweet.

I just broke this machine down and junked it last week.  I did keep the power supply and vid card though.
-- Thomas Jefferson
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 8:14pm
I live just outside of Dallas. My UT3 server was based in Dallas. 14 hops!!!!! LOL. I only had 21 hops to the server I leased in Atlanta. Damn ISPs.
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:46pm

Originally posted by XxXDEATHXxX101

WiFi and your gear effect ping, not because of your bandwidth, but because they are restrictive appliances. The point of a router is to make multiple devices share a single connection. Therefore, a router that is less restrictive would lead to lowered ping. This has nothing to do with the effect caused by bandwidth (your internet connection). If you want to know what your true ping is to a specific server, plug your PS3 directly into the cable moden and check that way. That is the least restrictive check.

Also the recieving server has a play in this equation. So distance is not the greatest factor in ping. s h i t recieving server = s h i t response time.

Also Aqua's post is even moe money in explaining the factors invovled.
uh i didnt say that wifi and your gear effect your ping because of bandwidth so?  i said sh!t gear will produce sh!tter results in speed and connection. 
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:35pm
For you guys stuck playing wirelessly, I've had great results with these:

You'll get far better performance with this than you will wirelessly.  PS3 max connection is wireless "G".  There is no benefit from "N".  If you can find a reasonably old router with MIMO, that will give you the best "G" speeds.

The only issue I found was a room far from the router that was behind a GFCI device.  Apparently current building codes require all bedrooms to have Ground Fault protectors.  I solved that by wiring the entire house for network... post condtruction Dead
-- Thomas Jefferson
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 11:36pm
and actually bandwidth does affect your ping Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>