Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > Fists of Fury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Science v Religion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Science v Religion
    Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:04pm

To All: Read the book, "The Man Nobody Knows" by Bruce Barton. This book will add some serious perspective to this grand 'ol debate.

Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by THE_KING_ETERNAL

Originally posted by Iuckshot

There's no point arguing with the religion people, they will continue to go on on and on about this religion thing like they did in the last 100 science religion threads. "What a fool believes no wise man can reason"

whee internet argument

Try again

There's no point arguing with the religion people, they will continue to go on on and on about this religion thing like they did in the last 100 science religion threads. "What a fool believes no wise man can reason"

whee internet argument
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Helscream

I just wanted to add this and I hope people who take part in this discussion have the patience to check out this short 10 minute video. All I wanted to do is clarify the true identity of what a follower of Jesus Christ, Yeshua the Mashiach Nagid. And help you distinguish the difference. I don't have a problem with people challenging Christianity.  The only problem I do have is people who argue/debate about what is in the Bible, but want to take the Bible out of the context of what it is.

I'm not hoping you think this man is sane or right or wrong. But I think he does a good job separating what real Christianity is compared the other watered down/waned/twisted/manipulated version's or it.
Agreed! Much of what christianity is criticised for can be explained as man's quest for power! The early history of the roman catholic church and the influence of babylonian sun worshippers are known to those who encounter christianity in its open form. These very issues are used to attack christianity in an attempt to denounce it as a fairy tale.
I listened to the great atheist Richard Dawkins not so long ago telling an audience that God was indeed a vain, jealous creator who demanded that man must worship him and no other else they will feel his wrath. I was left thinking;
1 how can you criticise the behaviour of someone you dont even believe in - unless you are playing the audience for cheap points.
2 I dont actually recall God instructing authors of the old or new testament to write down his words or obey specific instructions to the letter. The only thing I recall is the Ten Commandments given to Moses.
What atheists fail to acknowledge is that the Bible isn't an instruction manual telling you exactly what you should do. So playing on the contradictions and imperfections doesn't exactly bring the faith crumbling to the ground.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Pinnacle

To All: Read the book, "The Man Nobody Knows" by Bruce Barton. This book will add some serious perspective to this grand 'ol debate.

Waddaya mean I already ave a serious perspective lol. And I'm already reading 4 books on this topic over the summer so short-cut it for me plz.
In all seriousness tho I will say that non-believers are critical of believers for investing so much faith in 'a fairy tale' as lunchy so eloquently puts it. Yes many do believe in a self-generating being with the power to create a universe and all things in it. But is it actually any less increadible than a self-generating universe with the power to create life? You believe in the 'fairy tale' that makes most sense to you but please don't try to claim your 'fairy tale' as the truth. The only truth is that your explanation is no more credible than ours! This isn't an atttack on lunchy or anyone else but its a point that I am willing to debate and if you prove me wrong then I will have seen something that previously was hidden to me.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:05pm
In addition, what form of Christianity was Muhammad familiar with when he started Islam? Gnosticism -_____-
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 12:14pm
Muhammad was a prophet just like Jesus so he didn't start Islam just like Jesus didn't start Christianity it was the people who interpreted what he said and tried to follow in his foot steps who started it. Didn't Muhammad live in a cave or something without water or food until God spoke to him? That was a common thing back then
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 12:34pm
Yeah but Muhammad was influenced my Gnosticism where Jesus isnt the son of God.
In Islam is Jesus the Son of God? No.

And technically Jesus told people to follow Him.
TX2k7 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Requiescat In Pace

Post Options Post Options   Quote TX2k7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:21pm
jesus is a part of islam tho, just as muhammed is

i couldn't help remembering this lol
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 2:32pm
Yeah but Jesus being the Son of God is a game changer. If Jesus is the Son of Go, Muhammad was deceived. If Jesus wasn't ... well Paul said it best, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 3:40pm

whee internet argument
Damn you I was about to do the same thing.

King it's just pointing out that your post was absolutely useless.
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
Cruel IntentionZ View Drop Down
Team AA
Team AA
Val and I share Mikey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruel IntentionZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 4:18pm
as an alternative to this thread may i suggest a circle to run around in. 

Some people are alive simply because it’s against the law to kill them.
FehtalaTee View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
FehtalaTee

Post Options Post Options   Quote FehtalaTee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Cruel IntentionZ

as an alternative to this thread may i suggest a circle to run around in. 

is...is that Luci?? the girl with sexy british lips? O_O

licks finger and whipes his finger across his eyebrows* puts on sunglasses* cough twice*...whats sup LuciCool
Me and Penguins about to go HAAAAAM!!
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:46am
Know the difference between Messiah and prophet? Savior of all that acccept him = Messiah / Fortelling the future = prophet

Jesus is the Messiah, and his words are Christianity.. Only his words matter.. Its for each individual to decide for him or her self weather to accept Jesus Christ as their savior. There is no collective salvation in Christianity. Eveyone has a choice. Believe and accept Jesus as your savior, and be a Christian.. Or believe what you will. Its your choice.

sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 12:00pm
^lol
- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ax412

Yeah but Jesus being the Son of God is a game changer. If Jesus is the Son of Go, Muhammad was deceived. If Jesus wasn't ... well Paul said it best, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."

jesus wasnt considered the son of god until like 300 years after his death. that's a game changer too. how do you know what jesus said? gospels were written decades after he died
- Best Coast

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 12:08pm
Tuna have you heard anything about a large Comet passing very close to the earth next month? i think its your ticket out of here my man... just hop on as it passes     

jk   
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by SIZZLE

Tuna have you heard anything about a large Comet passing very close to the earth next month? i think its your ticket out of here my man... just hop on as it passes     

jk   

How come I have not heard about this from my usual sources of news, people raving about the end of the world? I won't call it reliable until then.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 1:03pm

Originally posted by SIZZLE

Tuna have you heard anything about a large Comet passing very close to the earth next month? i think its your ticket out of here my man... just hop on as it passes     jk   
How come I have not heard about this from my usual sources of news, people raving about the end of the world? I won't call it reliable until then.

end of the world? thats what you got out of that? lol
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 2:59pm
Nah, I've heard something like that over a year ago easily, but it just seems like something people would scream the end of the world over
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by TuNA FISh

jesus wasnt considered the son of god until like 300 years after his death. that's a game changer too. how do you know what jesus said? gospels were written decades after he died

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

you mean the council of something starting with a N?
where they decided on the canon of scripture?
where EVERYONE in attending attested to Jesus being the Son of God except for 1-2 people under the influence of Gnosticism?
QwEsT View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote QwEsT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:32pm
What's the point of arguing here, if they don't believe, & aren't willing to listen to the truth they're screwed when they die.
I believe, in Jesus being the Son of God. Btw the gospels, Matthew Mark Luke & John, were written by ppl who lived while Jesus lived, & they also had a close relationship with him.
PSN: qwest4victory    A-R_l2eQwEsT
XBL: ViTuHMiN C
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
then somebody is gonna say well how do you know the apostles wrote the Gospels.
like qwest said it will never end if we try to debate it.
one of us just has to die eventually and bring a cell phoneWink
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by QwEsT

What's the point of arguing here, if they don't believe, & aren't willing to listen to the truth they're screwed when they die.
I believe, in Jesus being the Son of God. Btw the gospels, Matthew Mark Luke & John, were written by ppl who lived while Jesus lived, & they also had a close relationship with him.

Qwesty, there is much debate regarding the canonical gospels. For instance, the gospel of John has been deeply debated. It's authoriship is still unknown. However, it's universally accepted that John the Apostle wasn't the author. That is why it is the most comprehensive gospel. It's been revised multiple times over the years. It takes from all of the gospels and ties the stories together. Without the Gospel of John, the 3 other gospels contradict each other to some degree.

Also, the original Bible on had 3 Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke). In the 2nd Century, the Book of John was added in an attempt to create "Gospel Harmony". That's when the discepancies started to emerge. It's the equivilent of you and I tring to tell the same story, but they sound different. The stories should be the same, yet perspective is different.

Phenethylamine View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phenethylamine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:27am
When you die it's the same as before you were born    :3
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:27am

then somebody is gonna say well how do you know the apostles wrote the Gospels.
like qwest said it will never end if we try to debate it.
one of us just has to die eventually and bring a cell phoneWink

Very true. I wouldn't call it debating, but rather enlightenment. There are a lot of people in this world that are Christian, but do not know or understand the origins and history of Christianity. It is very complex to digest. Furhtermore, there are many working peices. Doesn't make it wrong. However, most people that speak against Christianity are looking for something simple. Christianity is anything but simple. However, it Christianity's complexity that makes it a powerful religion.

The issues are that there are dozens of authors to the Bible. Therefore, there are multiple acounts of what actually occurred. Also, the Church of England screwed things up when the royalty thought they were decendants of Jesus and thus they can come up with their own interpretation of the Bible (i.e. King James Bible). Furthermore, the Counsil of Trent, in 1546, canonized the current version of the Catholic Bible. A lot was added to the Bible at this time. Of course, this is an oversimplification to the reason why Christianity is heavily debated, but these type of actions have added to the debate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>