Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How to make a montage.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to make a montage.
    Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 7:10pm
I guess a few of you have seen Pawweezy, Phantaci and Chris making montages... Just thought it might be a good idea to put a thread together with the problems and maybe a few tips for making a montage.

For all the UK guys here is a good one.

This guy reckons the dazzle doesn't work with Vista... although the actual pinnacle (dazzle) site says it will work with vista.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm

I want to make a montage and I would have bought the stuff already if I could guarantee I wasn't wasting my time and money.

krzys773 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Massacre Monster

Post Options Post Options   Quote krzys773 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 7:27pm
That looks like exactly everything i have,Except the splitters,I have a Amplifier so i can have 2 dazzles Running,
One for recording and then another one if i decide to livestream some really epic Match or something
If you guys didnt know,You can live stream with cap cards
Nissan SiLViA
Nissan 300zx
Yamaha Yzf R6
    <3
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 8:10pm
I wanna get all this stuff set up.. Its really good to have it all in place.

Do you have vista or windows XP? The guy in that video seems pretty adamant that it doesn't work with Vista.

EDIT: OK I think I am slowly getting the hand of this... the dazzle will not work with the windows movie maker so the guys and gals out there who have made a montage could you please comment on this thread as to which programs can effectively produce a nice montage.

ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 8:50pm
you can also use www.Justin.tv to livestream ur gamepay after everything is hooked up
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 1:24am
How to make a montage?

No.1 - Make sure the kills are sick, and intense. Missing 16x with your rocket launcher then finally killing the guy because he paniced and jumped off and fell to his death. That is NOT montage material.

No.2 Don't slow everything down. I find it pathetic when the so called ''good'' players turn a 1 1/2 minute video to 7 minutes because EVERYTHING IS AT 1/4 speed. UT3 isn't enter the ****ing matrix, and it isn't MAX PAYNE with bullet time. Speed/Slow the action according to the rythym of the song. You want everything to flow well. Try to spread out your best kills. Progress from least to greatest till the end of the montage. Or (something i would have done). Have the sickest kill que up with the begining of a high note or solo (sorry kids, only works with heavy metal)

No.3 STOP WITH THE CRAPPY MUSIC. It gets old having to mute every video is out there. Linkin Park, Godsmack, Disturbed, Drowning Pool all that **** is way overplayed.

No.4 Flash special effects isn't really all that necessary. As long as the crowd can see the can you pulled off. Thats all that matters. It gets really obnoxious when all these queers like to add sprinkled fairy dust with victoria's secret forever young glitter all over the ****ing screen after every ****ing kill that make.

No.5 At the end of EVERY montage. BE SURE to give credits out to all of those who helped you in the process of making the montage. Also be sure to put ''Reverendcrow likes ICP'' and big bold letters at the end of the video.
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 2:21am
lmfao nice tut on how ot make a frag video u forgot to put volcanic rocks do float
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Helscream

Also be sure to put ''Reverendcrow likes ICP'' and big bold letters at the end of the video.
Too late to get that into my video :(
I suck at editing
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 3:31pm
I've always been interested in making a montage, just for personal use... I think it would be sick just being able to watch it back... I'm not the kinda guy to sprinkle fairy dust over my kills... however there might be the odd 17th rocket hits situation although I'll try and keep those kinda kills out..

I got a multi kill on Chris_C, Do_Or_Die and Bum yesterday... now that would have made it even tho it was with the link gun.
Xerxes View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xerxes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 4:10pm
I would say:

1) Make sure your music doesn't have words, I always find it annoying when I'm watching a montage and I have to listen to some awful song at the same time. I find they work a lot better if the music you're using has no words and you can focus on making your footage match the music.

2) Timing - If your music has lots of heavier beats in it, try and match your kills, or perhaps direct rocket hits/headshots with those beats, it makes the montage much more enjoyable to watch.

3) Make sure the kills you are presenting are consistent. It's no good having a truly epic kill followed by something done all the time. As helscream said, building up the quality of the kills as you go through is a good idea, that way, people don't see something amazing, then find the rest mediocre because nothing else stands up to that kill.

4) Creating a montage with one night of play, or one week even, isn't impressive. it just shows that you're is too lazy to work on it and want to produce one quickly for the inevitable "great montage" comments you recieve. If you put in a good amount of time, building up a lot of high quality kills and then spend time editing it properly as well it will show and make your montage a much more enjoyable thing to watch. Also, make sure the footage is your own, and you havn't filled up time with other peoples.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 4:25pm
Yeah I'm gonna take my time, I may well show my friends a copy of footage I have just to try and find out which kills they really thought were sick... Sometimes I get some sick headshots when the ping is decent, I have plenty of nice combo's denying orb carriers... and I have a few mid air flaks that I would put in...

If someone watched it and bitched on it then whatever... I am just interested in watching back through some epic games... also the more montages available the more likely someone is to pick up the game.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 5:07pm
Right I uploaded a vid to youtube...

I recorded it in best quality on the dazzle platinum but when I uploaded it to youtube it came out in this crappy quality... Any tips anyone? Just about how to get quality vids.... the content itself is irrelevant.

Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 5:41pm
Don't use youtube is my tip :P
Wegame.com seems to have somewhat better quality

Youtube does specify what settings it likes for best possible quality there though
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 5:58pm
Ahhhh thats cool... When I'm recording it I get really high quality onto my pc... but the transition to youtube seemed to lose it a lot... wegame it is :)

Thanks Drokun...

Again if anyone can offer any tips they would be greatly appreciated.
krzys773 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Massacre Monster

Post Options Post Options   Quote krzys773 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 9:04pm
Why do people write so much about how to make a montage.If you take the time to edit,& Buy the equipment,You should be able to pick the song you want,and kills you want..If you watch a montage for the first time,and it sucks,don't watch other ones by the same person.
Also the game room on Mlgpro.com seems to have the best quality for me
Nissan SiLViA
Nissan 300zx
Yamaha Yzf R6
    <3
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by xXchris_cXx

Why do people write so much about how to make a montage.If you take the time to edit,& Buy the equipment,You should be able to pick the song you want,and kills you want..If you watch a montage for the first time,and it sucks,don't watch other ones by the same person.
Also the game room on Mlgpro.com seems to have the best quality for me
 i agree but when ur trying to "show off bad ass kills" dont use kills that take 2346732094732094732947329048797 rockets to kill someone or some lame ass predictable shot use something spectacular
RTO_megafreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RTO_megafreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 10:31pm
lol yea I have to figure out most about these so I can make  a sick ****ing ass montage thanxs for the info
holy_diver45
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 4:00am
I got most of this stuff sorted now... I also agree with Chris on the subject of being able to pick your own song and kills...

My montage will most likely suck, I can't do moving combo's that well and headshots are few and far between... so I'm probably have a lot more rocket and alt flak and link kills than other montages...

Its not about how much I can kill someone its more about me having something fun to do and learning a new skill at the same time... Hell I might even make a montage of people killing me... got enough footage already for that one!
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 5:12am
as long as your not in the darkwalker the whole game i'll watch it and most likely like it. i dont think i've been in anyone's montage ;)
add me in it hehe
(i've seen a darkwalker only video was gay)
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 11:01am
LOL I wouldn't put a darkwalker kill in... stuff I would probably use are:

• ultra/monster kills in the tank...
  • combos
  • headshots
  • predicted rocket or flak shots
  • alt link
  • IH :)
I guess when you watch back though the footage you kinda either think that was cool or that was crap...

As for adding you phantaci... well I don't think I have ever killed you... think you might be the only player I have never killed lol so I won't get my hope up too much on that one.
GOW_KillinUGood View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by ICN_Danjel8

Right I uploaded a vid to youtube...

I recorded it in best quality on the dazzle platinum but when I uploaded it to youtube it came out in this crappy quality... Any tips anyone? Just about how to get quality vids.... the content itself is irrelevant.

I just watched the vid, and the quality looks a lot better when you click on the "watch in high quality" tab at the bottom right of the window.   Sometimes this option isn't available for you immediately after you upload the video, but is available shortly after

You can also upload HD 720P resolution videos to youtube for even better quality.  When you use Windows Movie Maker and publish the video, choose the "Windows Media HD 720p" format.  When you upload to youtube you have HD quality, the best possible youtube resolution.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2009 at 8:10pm
Wow killingugood... the quality is much better now! thanks!
ColossusSlayer View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColossusSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2009 at 9:31am
the fact that u have to record in SD makes me not want to bother doin it, i love HD way to much to switch bak
GOW_KillinUGood View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote GOW_KillinUGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 9:12pm
I've been getting many questions about recording game play, and made this post to hopefully fill you in on many different options to consider for recording footage. 

Do you currently play in High Def, or Standard Def? 

It would be a shame to sacrifice your HD gaming quality by downgrading to standard def for recording.  If HD, then some devices will allow component video - rarely HDMI, but these are more expensive than SD devices.  The Dazzle devices, or a USB video capture stick from blackmagic design, seem pretty cool for standard def.   Both look like a good deal.

Do you have a computer close by the PS3, or in other room?
I bought a HAVA wireless HD since my computer is far away from my living room.  Very neat device which wirelessly, or wired will send the input signal to your computer in 740X480 resolution over ethernet wiring or your home wireless network.  It comes with software for playback and recording.   All or most other devices I have researched require you to plug it in directly to USB jack on computer, thus you need your PC with your PS3, or a really long USB extender.

-another option would be to get a capture card for your pc.  Blackmagic Design makes some  different types.

How new is your computer and how much room do you have on it?
USB 2.0 is a must for most video capture devices.   USB 2.0 devices require a lot of room on your hard drive to store the media.  Depending on the compression methods (MPEG 4 or H.264, plus what resolution quality chosen) 1 hour of footage could be from 2 to 10 gigs.  And when you stockpile footage, it adds up quickly as I've found.

Do you already own a DVD recorder?
If so, then you could use it to make recordings onto DVD and transfer them to PC for editing.  Not many DVD recorders have component video inputs, so it would most likely have to be composite video or super video.  This should result in very nice quality, since it won't be compressed at all.  Or if you have a vcr, you could use that for recording, but you would still need to somehow transfer that content on to your pc for editing.

Many different options as you can see.  Any questions?? lol.  I hurt my head. Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply