| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Is you PS3 or Comp Vertical or Horizontal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team KmA
Team KmA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is you PS3 or Comp Vertical or Horizontal?
    Posted: 08 May 2009 at 5:54pm
Just wondering if you guys keep your PS3 or Comp Vertical or Horizontal?

My PS3 is vertical.  Also, It's cool that the little PS logo rotates 90 degrees.

One of my friends said, "having a vertical PlayStation shortens the disk motor's life."  However, I think her claims are unfounded...

ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 6:24pm
horizontal
PcX_Potorikan View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 7:44pm
horizontal. although they claim one can do vertical there's no accounting for thermal changes within the frame of the PS3 which cause minute changes in the metal components size and shape.  Couple this with gravity over time and there's bound to be a shift of sorts.  You might end up with something like my sons PS3 where putting it on vertical causes the HD to make a noise like a piece of paper on the rim of a fan. I suggest everyone that doesn't have horizontal to change to it asap.
Zellot View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Zellraiser

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zellot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by HanFei

Just wondering if you guys keep your PS3 or Comp Vertical or Horizontal?

My PS3 is vertical.  Also, It's cool that the little PS logo rotates 90 degrees.

One of my friends said, "having a vertical PlayStation shortens the disk motor's life."  However, I think her claims are unfounded...

dude i always thought my ps3 logo was broken when it spinned like that
Deths Right Hand Stalks Me
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Zellot

dude i always thought my ps3 logo was broken when it spinned like that

I thought the same thing about my PS2.  haha

Regarding the heat,
Since desktop motherboards are mounted all of the time, I don't think the heat dissipation is an issue.  Also, the fans move the same amount of air through the PS3, regardless of whether it's vertical or horizontal.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:25pm
I have mine vertical, I need as much space as I can in my 1 bedroom apt :(
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:54pm
I used to have my PS2 vertical. Thought it looked cooler. But I don't have enough room on the shelf under my TV to do that with my PS3 or I would.
SRC_Lock123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_Lock123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 12:43am
TX2k7 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Requiescat In Pace

Post Options Post Options   Quote TX2k7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 1:58am
vert all the way lol space is limited!
TyroneJester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TyroneJester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 10:29am
i have it horizontal but it looks better vertical
You Have To Look Good!
Too Kill Good!
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 10:49am
vertical      
INCReMENTAL View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 11:12am
Horizontal, also I work in a metal shop and if there is any metal in the PS3 that is holding most of the structure like Potorikan was talking about. I don't see it to cause a problem. I run CNC machines for a living, some of the finest machines in the world with very tite tolerances when needed. Temp change by a few degrees can make metal grow or shrink depending which way the temp dropped. So Potorikan has a good example but I don't believe any of that will ever cause an issue. If u had something more complex and vital it might make the biggest difference between life and death.
Currently playing MAG nightly with Wopr, we be owning on SVER n the EF CLAN. UT3 got boring, no competition, nothing else to prove, qM got dat **** on lock.
 Post Reply Post Reply