Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ladder/Tournament Features

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ladder/Tournament Features
    Posted: 11 May 2009 at 4:35pm
As some of you know I'm looking at hosting ladder/tourney software from this site.  In another thread a week or so ago I saw people bringing up game battles and how it would be so cool to get a ladder back up there as opposed to using fragged nation.  I'm all for more exposure, but I was curious why some people liked one versus the other?  I personally have never been big into ladders so I wanted to hear the kinds of things you guys look for so as I'm reviewing the features of the software available I can make a more informed decision based on what you guys want.

PcX_Potorikan View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 5:54pm
my first question would be, is there anything in that software or within PHP or whatever that could make the admin of clan requests/ battles/ stats easier?  I have quite a few ideas on how that should work I just don't know if soft wise it's doable.  we have tons of clans on here and tons of requests and such flying all over the place but it's a mess.  Let me know when you have time A.

D
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:21pm
Well a ladder would work for making/tracking challenges/results.  And then the tourney side of the software can handle the larger events that are not ongoing like a ladder is.  Clan CMS systems are another option but I haven't looked at that too much because it seemed like the ladder/tourney systems had all the functions of a CMS (by way of ladders) but also had the ability to run tournaments.

Also the 2 systems that I was looking at are pretty automated...if a team doesn't show can automatically change the bracket and reschedule the match etc with no intervention by an admin.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:37pm
gotcha.  Things I"m curious about are simple things (in theory but I'm sure sw wise it's more complex than that) are things like:

A clan leader should be able to send a request to another clan with all the pertinent details (see my clan request form for example).  The request should be pending in the recipients inbox or whatever and he should be able to either accept the terms as proposed or make changes and return the request which would wait for approval from the match proposer.  Once both parties agree a clan match is scheduled and goes on a main site calender and would say show up on Upcoming battles section of the main page.  Once the match happens it would be cool if the leaders can then go on and post the match results and these would auto post onto the teams record and the standings where members can see overall how all the teams are doing versus all other teams during a season (much like the way baseball standings do).  that's sort of how I see it happening more or less.  

I envision the scheduling and calendering would be smart in that it won't let you schedule a match with another at the same time and that requests can expire or be rejected (with reasons the rejector can cite via a drop down or whatever).  

any input on any of this?  I think if we make it easy for people to oversee their matches and match schedules but also make it easy to propose and finalize them all our clans will have more action then they can handle but that would be a good thing imo.
_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:53pm
isnt the ladder for like 1v1's or 2v2's? thats kinda gay imo...is there any way to set up like 4v4's?

sympathy one gets for nothing,
EnVy must be earned"
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:02pm
Envy, Ladders can be for anything. Player vs Player, team vs team. It's a point system. The more you play, the more you win, the higher you go.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by _EnVy_

isnt the ladder for like 1v1's or 2v2's? thats kinda gay imo...is there any way to set up like 4v4's?

On gamebattles... yeah but if the site is willing to set them up then I think we could manipulate it to any number of people. I remember GB having a lot of trouble with UT3 on the PS3 because they wouldn't increase the number of players so VCTF was a no go and Warfare would only suit sinkhole and MD.

But if a ladder was designed then like the original 1v1/2v2 idea the teams would have to be consistent and although clans could represent themselves each 4 players in a team would have to remain consistent throughout...

Also normally during ladder matches it is up to the losing team to post confirmation of the result... the guys to ask are probably deadaim or xerxes as I think they will know most about this situation.
ninefive View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninefive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:21pm

one of the leaders of the team im in is a head admin for www.NationalGamingLeague.org , check out there quakelive 2v2 CA tournies etc, i would try something like that its rather basic. heres another link directly there : http://www.nationalgamingleague.org/tourney21/bracket_view.php

ninefive View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninefive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by ICN_Danjel8

On gamebattles... yeah but if the site is willing to set them up then I think we could manipulate it to any number of people. I remember GB having a lot of trouble with UT3 on the PS3 because they wouldn't increase the number of players so VCTF was a no go and Warfare would only suit sinkhole and MD.

But if a ladder was designed then like the original 1v1/2v2 idea the teams would have to be consistent and although clans could represent themselves each 4 players in a team would have to remain consistent throughout...

Also normally during ladder matches it is up to the losing team to post confirmation of the result... the guys to ask are probably deadaim or xerxes as I think they will know most about this situation.

well the very first ladder was 4v4, and it had a random map selector and most of the time it choose warfare of vctf, because they had more maps in the pool.

as far as reporting wins or losses either team could do it but if the losing team didnt you would have to talk to a mod and submit screenshots (which we always took), only once or twice did we have to resort to submitting them but we also had pysborg1 on our team and he was the head admin for ut3ps3 on GB
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 7:50pm
@deadaim - yeah thanks for the link, that's almost exactly what it appears this software does based on the demo I'm playing with.  Teams can join and it'll make out a bracket etc.  Ladders are pretty straight forward.

@Potorikan - What you describe is exactly how a ladder works, basically anyone can create a team/single player account and then challenge others.  The system is configurable for how long you have to accept/deny a match...if you don't do either in the allotted time you forfeit.  Leader post results, etc...the whole thing.

So as far as I can tell this would work well.  When I look at ladders/tourney software it all looks basically the same to me.  There are a few minor differences in configuration but for the most part it seems like they all do the same thing.  So maybe with GB it was just the design of the site that people liked better and not necessarily the features. 

_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:29pm
well lmk if this goes 4v4 or so, id like to make a ladder team...

sympathy one gets for nothing,
EnVy must be earned"
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:38pm
It's looking like I'm going to go with mygamingladder for software.  I'll buy it tonight and start fiddling with it tomorrow.  It'll probably take some time to get it all configured since it'll be the first time I do this.  I'm guessing anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks depending on how much customization I need to do.

The default interface is pretty vanilla but I've seen some sites that use this same software really customize the look and it works really well. 

Here's a couple of examples of what can be done with it: 

http://liga360.com/index.php
http://www.aussiexbox.net

ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:40pm

quit being a loser this entire site is already full of nothing but teams and clans sometimes us who play 1v1 or 2v2s would like something to do theres already bunch of leagues and ladders for teams
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by ReverendCrow

quit being a loser this entire site is already full of nothing but teams and clans sometimes us who play 1v1 or 2v2s would like something to do theres already bunch of leagues and ladders for teams

That's the beauty of us hosting them....we can have as many ladder/tourney configurations as we want...there may not be activity on obscure ladders....but we can do anything we want here.  Like how bout a ladder for who can kill crow the most with an enforcer, LOL!
ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:20pm
hah to hell with u WOPR go lick a lollipop
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 2:38am
Originally posted by WOPR-1

It's looking like I'm going to go with mygamingladder for software.  I'll buy it tonight and start fiddling with it tomorrow.  It'll probably take some time to get it all configured since it'll be the first time I do this.  I'm guessing anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks depending on how much customization I need to do.

The default interface is pretty vanilla but I've seen some sites that use this same software really customize the look and it works really well. 

had a glance at it.  very nice.  how will this be integrated with the site?  will it be another tab that take syou to another stand alone site?  does the software involve coding into PHP or the current website?  sorry, I'm clueless but curious  : )
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2009 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Potorikan

Originally posted by WOPR-1

had a glance at it.  very nice.  how will this be integrated with the site?  will it be another tab that take syou to another stand alone site?  does the software involve coding into PHP or the current website?  sorry, I'm clueless but curious  : )

It is PHP driven.  As far as integration this software will reside on the same server/domain.  The software itself is standalone but it'll be integrated as much as possible. I need to look at the tables and see how stuff is setup.  Ideally I'd like a single log on to work for both applications (the forum and the ladders) but I won't know about how to do that until I get it installed and see how it works.  Other than that yeah I'll put links at the top of every page in the forum and the ladders so that going back and forth is a seamless as possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply