Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > Sports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Football... yes English football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football... yes English football
    Posted: 27 May 2009 at 2:58pm
Still think UTD are gonna win this...

This is the place to put all your predictions, financial losses and football banter.

Everton are sh*t.
ninefive View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninefive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:06pm
hopefully the wonderful admin wopr will change your topic title to the correct spelling of soccer
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by ninefive

hopefully the wonderful admin wopr will change your topic title to the correct spelling of soccer

Oh no u didnt!
its all good we like football the game bt u guys like football the name. U actually play with your hands mainly...try watchin Rugby its similar to the game u think is football.
Barca 3-1 is my bet! Messi Iniesta and Eto to shine.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 4:08pm
Can't see 3-1 in all honesty now... Max I can see is 3 goals in this game and thats a big ask.

I think 2-0 Barca... Messi last minute.
ninefive View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ninefive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 4:52pm
Yea its really wierd how football is called football in america and its about throwing and catching primarily. makes alot more sense to call soccer, football
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 5:02pm

Yea its really wierd how football is called football in america and its about throwing and catching primarily. makes alot more sense to call soccer, football

im a football geek bt i have no idea where the word soccer came from. The US sport i luv is Basketball (with baskets and a ball which is a plus). its like warfare when it ebbs and flows and theyre duels all over the court. Do u think most of us on UT3 are competitive sportsmen/women going head2head in a different arena?
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ICN_Danjel8

Can't see 3-1 in all honesty now... Max I can see is 3 goals in this game and thats a big ask.I think 2-0 Barca... Messi last minute.
Good shout! bad game. Right result. On to saturday then, wheres Greeny?
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

im a football geek bt i have no idea where the word soccer came from. The US sport i luv is Basketball (with baskets and a ball which is a plus). its like warfare when it ebbs and flows and theyre duels all over the court. Do u think most of us on UT3 are competitive sportsmen/women going head2head in a different arena?

Trin I grew up playing soccer comeptitivley and still love it to this day. In the states today more kids "participate" in soccer than any other sport, but it has never fared well as 'entertainment'.
It competes with too many established 'native' sports (NFL, NBA, MLB)

Our pro league here is just not compelling enough to watch and honestly the only time I "watch" soccer is during the World CuP.

Even though I love Playing Soccer, I also LOVE watching and Following AMERICAN FOOTBALL.
There's less than 20 games a year and EVERY GAME COUNTS. The intricacy of the game is staggering.

Sorry to go off topic, I try watching Premier League but I prefer South AMerican Style of play over English 'long ball', although I must admit there's been a huge injection of international talent in the English clubs the past few years.
JakeT111 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JakeT111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 5:32pm

Why would he change the spelling to make it wrong? Confused

Sorry...LOL
ASHYTEBUBLExD View Drop Down
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 5:40pm
CMON 2-0 HAHHAHAH fukerdy ha :), yes im an arsenal fan lol
Ha! We've got guns!, No what you have are bullets and the hope that by time you've fired im not still standing because if I am, you'll be dead befor you've reloaded
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:01pm

Too true!
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Fluffy Fluffington

Trin I grew up playing soccer comeptitivley and still love it to this day. In the states today more kids "participate" in soccer than any other sport, but it has never fared well as 'entertainment'.

Our pro league here is just not compelling enough to watch and honestly the only time I "watch" soccer is during the World CuP.

Even though I love Playing Soccer, I also LOVE watching and Following AMERICAN FOOTBALL.
There's less than 20 games a year and EVERY GAME COUNTS. The intricacy of the game is staggering.

Sorry to go off topic, I try watching Premier League but I prefer South AMerican Style of play over English 'long ball', although I must admit there's been a huge injection of international talent in the English clubs the past few years.

The premier league doldrums like Wigan and Sunderland are not an excellent advert for footie. Try watching Arsenal, they don't win every game but they play lovely football and play the way I like to play.

Its always interested me why the world embraced football apart from America... 3 main factors for me. Not enough regular pauses in play for commericials. Secondly Americans love to be different to the world, creating their own unique sports is a factor in this... And the final reason is that it isn't supported enough at the college level...

My friend played for UCONN 'soccer' and is now back in England playing in the leagues... he used to say that young kids just don't get the support like they would in England... many factors I guess...

Its a real big shame coz it really is an amazing sport... just like baseball, American football and basketball... I love them all.

As for the huge injection of talent, that is down to more scouts working abroad and the need for cheaper foreign player because an average English player costs 3 times as much as an excellent player from Equador.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Fluffy Fluffington

Fluff i luv u man! (and no im NOT backwards compatible OK?) How comes we've never talked bout this stuff in-game or on our own forum? We just enjoy sledging each other more I guess heehee! Yknow im a deep thinker right? So i look for reasons why I enjoy UT3 so much - every version has been addictive for me - Ive come to the conclusion that its the variety, pace and excitement that a team based game generates. Anything that engages the brain is great and UT3 you dont simply play you think bout the variables in the match that affect it and try to influence your side to shape a positive outcome. Off topic?? No not really cos UT3 is ultra competitive and unpredictable when conditions are right. Its like football for me, and Football (soccer) will always be my number 1 love apart from my family.
Who do u support? Plz say Chelsea! Do NOT say Man Yoooo, F no, not eva!
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 5:53am
Quote Dan: "Its always interested me why the world embraced football apart from America... 3 main factors for me. Not enough regular pauses in play for commericials. Secondly Americans love to be different to the world, creating their own unique sports is a factor in this... And the final reason is that it isn't supported enough at the college level..."
_________________________________________________________________________________

Not wanting to be political here but a quick study of American culture will suggest that America like things it can control so as the newest nation they sought opportunities to build empires and establish themselves as Top dog in a new world order! Its nothing new - Greeks and Britain did it, Spain, France tried it - America has given so much to the world but its seemingly only what it can ultimately control/centralise and sport is no different.
Football/Soccer is global whereas American football an Baseball is widespread. In my opinion Basketball is global. Again imo the sheer fun and excitement you get from playing Basketball isn't matched by American Football or Baseball cos the pace is too slow it seems and AF is too complicated for the average man on the street to get into. Soccer follows a simple set of rules (or used to anyway). Dont get me wrong both AF and BB would proly be fun to play as most sports for me are just that, I just cant seem to get into sport where the pace for me is slow.
The Premiership is the place to be because of the ridiculous amount of money thrown at footballers these days. Their wages come indirectly out of the pockets of the fans and ultimately i fear it will be the downfall of the league. The game in S.America still retains a healthy influx at grass roots (root out of poverty or just sheer enthusiasm?) whereas over here (and stateside) we have a lot more choice. Is AF or sport in general as out of touch with their fan base? now that's a question i've often pondered.
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2009 at 1:16pm
I personally cant stand baseball.
It Americas "National Past Time" and I frankly dont get it.
Some say its a derivative of Cricket but who knows.

I came to the States when I was 8 and was able to adopt/love American Football but I never could understand baseball.

During the last few World Cups, US broadcasters overcame the on air commercials, by having sposors brand their logo next to the Score/Clock for extended periods. Again participation in Soccer in the States is MASSIVE albeit limited to Middle class and upper class kids. I think the main reason it doesnt catch on is the dominance/Entrenchment of the the BIG THREE less so than cultural IMHO.

The last World Cup was the highest rated in the US history. People attributed it to HDTVs and a rising Hispanic/Mexican population in the US.

Anyhow, I perosnally cant wait for the World Cup, Im following the Quals intensely, I usually adopt a team (Argentina or Brazil), Theres a place in my heart for Team Melli, (but they usually break my heart anyway, and proly wont even Qualify this go)

I watched some highlights of the final, in UT3 parlance Messi pwned Ronaldo in the duel, LOL.
Ive always liked the Argentine, but im a bit biased. 

Greeny View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 10:23am
Everton for FA cup!
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 12:31pm
I actually think Everton are gonna win it... viva la toffees!
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 9:59am
No way u guys get a reality check now. Chelsea all the way, Blue IS the colour! Greeny good luck for you and your team I hope if they win its because they deserve it (and vice versa). Plz no pens and no bad decisions.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:00am
It s hot, 35 degress C pitch side so I will say 2-0 H/T 1-0 Lampard and Anelka in that order.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:00am
PLEASE PLEASE bad decisions against Chelski... I have bet 10 quid on yobo to get sent off first and to be carded first... he is marking drogba, lets just hope he succesfully executes a 6.0 dive.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:02am
hahahahahahah what a goal!
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 12:08pm
Oh well good game...

I had 4 quid on 2-1 Chelsea and also had 4 quid on lamlard to score at anytime...

f***ing yobo... w**ker could at least have got himself sent off.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by ICN_Danjel8

Oh well good game...

I had 4 quid on 2-1 Chelsea and also had 4 quid on lamlard to score at anytime...

f***ing yobo... w**ker could at least have got himself sent off.

Another profitable day for you then and a good one for me. Greeny mate, unlucky but someone has to lose. I think it was a fair result. The toffees equipped themselves well but after they conceded they were always second best.
Hey Ive slated Malouda all season but no more. He now looks the player he was at Lyon. What a strike, it was clearly over the line on first glimpse and Lampard's penalty claim. Yes he went down easily but he was impeded and Pienaar made contact with the man and not the ball. I never understand how this is not a pen in the box but anywhere else on the pitch you get the decision all day long. Ashley Cole was phenomenal with Malouda down the left and Everton didnt have a solution to his runs. a god cup final at last after some less than sensational ones.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 2:24pm
Yup Chelski did deserve to win... Malouda and Cole looked awesome... my dad (an Everton fan) even predicted Cole would be MOM.

And yeah it was a great cup final... would have been made better by maybe a 3-2 score line but thats a very minor criticism.

Malouda's was just over the line and I think Lamps should have had a pen... limited contact but still contact.

All in all... good season for Everton and a fitting ending to Guus Hiddick. I just wish Gosling had come on and stuffed the Guus.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 7:23pm
is one player actually worth 73.5m + 10 million net per season?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>