Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Protein shakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protein shakes
    Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 3:29pm
Nothing to do with games at all... I was just wondering if anyone else on here is a serious gym goer? And if so what protein shakes do you recommend?

PcX_Potorikan View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Danjel8

Nothing to do with games at all... I was just wondering if anyone else on here is a serious gym goer? And if so what protein shakes do you recommend?

this is what sucks about being puertorican.. I saw the headline and thought something else lol. 

Supreme_Venom View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:18pm
Well protein shakes has its positive and negative sides.. if you drink to much proteine shakes you're body is going to depend on it after doing serious workout, if you neglect working out and keep drinking shakes it will only increase mass without the muscle.

I'd only recommend using protein shakes if you need to gain weight and mass to produce the muscles you need when working out, if you think you're overweight or you have enough weight for you age and lenght then don't use it.

Burning calories and doing weight lifting or muscle-intense training is the best way to gain fast muscles and lose weight. Never eat less also, make sure you eat healthy and enough in the morning, afternoon & dinner. Eating less can actually cause you to gain weight on the long run.

Sorry I got carried away xD
Supreme_Venom View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Potorikan

this is what sucks about being puertorican.. I saw the headline and thought something else lol. 

Lol I think I know what you mean. (I think)
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Supreme_Venom

Well protein shakes has its positive and negative sides.. if you drink to much protein shakes you're body is going to depend on it after doing serious workout, if you neglect working out and keep drinking shakes it will only increase mass without the muscle.

I'd only recommend using protein shakes if you need to gain weight and mass to produce the muscles you need when working out, if you think you're overweight or you have enough weight for you age and length then don't use it.

Burning calories and doing weight lifting or muscle-intense training is the best way to gain fast muscles and lose weight. Never eat less also, make sure you eat healthy and enough in the morning, afternoon & dinner. Eating less can actually cause you to gain weight on the long run.

Sorry I got carried away xD

I've got a solid diet at the moment, lots of vegetables, tuna, chicken... all balanced how it should be for a strict regime. I'd say I'm overweight so based on what you say I'm not sure the shakes are critical however from the research I have done I can sat that muscles need protein in some form instantly after a workout because the muscles are screaming for it.

I lift some heavy stuff at the moment, doubled my weights in over 3/4 weeks of training but I wanna keep it up. I do a full body work out at the moment but in 9 sessions I'll be taking 5 days off and changing my routine up. I also do High Intensity Interval Training which can get pretty nasty and it feels like after I've done my workout I should be giving my muscles protein to repair themselves quickly.

I hear what your saying about becoming dependent on protein shakes.. I think I need to probably give that a bit more research. Hopefully once I hit my goals I'll be able to rely purely on my diet to sustain the muscles.
MEGA_-TrON- View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote MEGA_-TrON- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 4:56pm
Ask TheProdigy!
But I will give u my gym advice

- if you are trying to bulk up jus know u wanna take double ur body weight a day in protein. A good protein for bulk and size is FreakFix (chocolate) take 2-3 shakes a dAy with well balanced meals.
Also u can eat a powerbar (protein plus) and get 23 gms a pop and they taste great!

- if your tryin to get stronger and but on good shape I would say to hop on BSN Syntha6. It's the best tasting out there and is really good! It had a good amount of sorces and should be takin
2-3 times a day.

Best times for a shake/bar
first thing when u wake up because your body eats away a good amount of protien in ur sleep. Also u wanna feed ur muscles right off the bat!
Second is right after your workout, after a workout your muscles are ripped and torn so u need to pack them with a good amount of protien.
Third is right before bed, this is so ur body does not eat away your muscle while u sleep. You need some sort of protien before bed!

Now if u don't have a protien shake/bar u can eat Penut butter on wheat bread, chicken salad, eggs, fish.. Ect

mix protein with milk, in blender with ice. Toss is a banana so help prevent cramps.

Jus know that you body canonly handle 30gm of protien per serving, so be wise with your scoops don't always believe the directions!!

Hope this help danjel!
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 5:19pm
Of course tron! I can't believe I haven't thought of asking him before! I'm on a few fitness sites but the people on there are so arrogant and really don't help beginners who want to take it step by step.

I'm trying to get bigger but be in great shape too, I'm pretty big as it is but of course I wanna be bigger... I didn't realise the need for protein in the morning, I guess thats because when you sleep your muscles repair themselves, which goes a long way to explain the protein usage whilst your asleep!

I read about getting protein before you sleep about 2 hours ago! haha good advice! Awesome info btw! I'm gonna take my shake and banana to the gym tomorrow! I currently use a shake from reliv coz I get it cheap but I just wanted to evaluated some of the other options out there :D

I currently take 26g's per serving so I'm doing good there!

In 2/3 weeks I'm gonna be changing my gym routine, I'm thinking I'm gonna split up my days into separate muscles groups from now on to really push myself. What kinda routines has everyone else had? Any success?

Thanks tron and venom!
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:02pm
My advice is, if your gonna train hard, you have to eat more, but some people confuse that with just eating whatever they want!  If you want to burn the "candle" from both ends, figure out what you eat in a day, and split that up into 5 or 6 times throughout the day, hell, maybe even 7!  Effectively what you are doing, is keeping your digestive system burning all day, which pushes your metabolic rate threw the roof, turning your body into a fat buring machine! Also, every pound of muscle burns apprx 50 calories a day!
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 7:03pm
On a side note, i was think about Protein Slurppies!  if ya know what i mean!
TheProdigy View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 8:01pm
good advice Tron, but Danjel i would have to say tha he is right on most parts, he is right on the proteins, and right on the times to take them.... but if your tryin to burn fat and get stronger at the same time, you should think about gettin a fat burner... you can find really good fat burners on Bodybuilding.com i jus got off a cycle called Havoc and it was a 3 part cycle - a 40mg test - sylce support to keep me cleaned out - and then a post cycle pill to bring my body back to normal. i went from 165 to 160 and then to 175 in 5 weeks, i cut fat and gained muscle, felt stronger and better and no down side to it. i would tell u to take it, but u need atleast 4 to 5 months in the gym b4 u can take it.
i would also like to share my workout plan

mon - chest (its the hardest part of the body to keep big and build so i start is on monday) i do 4 diff workouts 3 sets in each and always increse weight.

tue - bi's & tri's ( good to work them both out in the same day, feels better and get the most pump ) about 45 mins on each part

wed - back/traps ( back is my fav part of my body so i keep that to itself for one whole day )

thur - i do cardio ( i play basketball, and run a mile and thats good for me, its my legs and full body in a couple hours

fri - chest again and pump a lil harder then i did on monday.

sat - i take off

sun - i take off

i eat about 3 bars a day, range about 20-30gms of protein
i drink about 3-4 shakes a day that range from 30-40gms per shake

i kno the body can only handle 30 at a time but i like to pack it in more!
but danjel let me know what u wanna know and i will help u as much as i can, if u wanna order things, and read up on things check out that site..

bodybuilding.com

im on there add me as a friend
TheProdigyK24
Damn, "Hes a Beast!" No..
Hes a Real Life "Prodigy"
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 9:11pm
Good reading other peoples set ups etc...

@Lunchy... I try to eat as good as I can, lots of protein and veg... I should try splitting it up into 5/6/7 small meals though coz I've read that too.

@Prodigy... I can literally dedicate my life to it at the moment and I want/need something to keep me busy and allows me to physically push myself. I think I'll be hitting the gym every day and trying to work 2 muscle groups daily like you do.

Currently my lower body is far stronger, my legs are very strong and I like working on them. I also wanna get my core right.

Do you ever give your core special attention or is that a daily thing you do?

I think after reading this I can tell my protein intake is way too low. Just hope I don't end up looking like Cartman after his weight gain 4000.
MEGA_-TrON- View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote MEGA_-TrON- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 10:32pm
Dan, I like that set up! Seems like he's on track
TheProdigy View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 11:16pm

I should try splitting it up into 5/6/7 small meals though coz I've read that too.@Prodigy... I can literally dedicate my life to it at the moment and I want/need something to keep me busy and allows me to physically push myself. I think I'll be hitting the gym every day and trying to work 2 muscle groups daily like you do. Currently my lower body is far stronger, my legs are very strong and I like working on them. I also wanna get my core right.Do you ever give your core special attention or is that a daily thing you do?I think after reading this I can tell my protein intake is way too low. Just hope I don't end up looking like Cartman after his weight gain 4000.

Danjel, i eat about 4 meals a day, the thing is if your big, (not fat, but big) already u dont wanna be eating alot of carbs... try a low carb, high protein diet, eat alot of chicken, greens.. ect.
drink water, no soda, no redbull no high in cal / sugar drinks
u get all that from the protein, see what people dont understand is that when u eat alot of food, even if its healthy and use alot of protein, and ur goal is to get in shape and cut fat, its not gonna happen.. protein is fat (jus breaks down faster and helps ur muscles), it was made to be a MEAL REPLACEMENT, so eat lite, ( but 4 lite meals ) and very lean. u will see weight coming off, and your body shaping to what u want.. i drink about 1gal of water a day, along with milk. I do spoil and go for ice tea (sweet) and beer but its not good. I spend everyday in the gym.. i love it.. i wake up sometimes in pain and sore as hell, but when i look at myself, i know its all worth it!
for you, i would say to do my workout plan, but maybe run everyother day, or everyday (which ever u want).. i forgot to say i do ABs everyday as well.. but u need to get in shape, so do my workout and run for a month, and then get back to me.. =)

your goals..

-eat good, chicken, greens, water, protein
-gym everyday, (mon-fri) working out diff bodyparts, cuz if u do all your body in one day for 5 days, u will burn out and break down..
-stick with it for a month! maybe get on a fatburner, or something like a pre-workout pill or powder so get ur heart moving fast so u burn more
-no junk/ut3/soda/sittin
-always go up in weight after each set, even if its 2 pounds, always push for 6-8 reps in each set, and if u have done all 3 sets and dont feel burnt, up the weight next week.. u need to feel like u cant lift anymore when u are done..
-hit me up if u need anything, i will share all i know..
-ohh and check out bodybuilding.com that place really does rock!
Damn, "Hes a Beast!" No..
Hes a Real Life "Prodigy"
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:17am
The bad thing about most places (countries) it is usually soo expensive to eat right, you can go spend 5 dollars and eat for the day, but its all nasty bad for you junk, but to eat right and healthy, you gotta spend a little extra!  Thats why the poorer are the most likely to be overweight! Unless your talking like dirt poor countires, then thier just deprived!  If the US or UK or EU want their citizens to be healthier, make healthy food more avaliable and cheaper, while making fast food and junk food the more expensive and harder to get!  This too will also inadvertinley lessen Health Care costs! If i had controlling stake, thats what i would do anyway!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:33am
Jamba Juice? xD do yall have that in the UK? great protein/energy fruit shakes
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:41am
No, i have the best protein shake!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:48am
Originally posted by SP61gTSupra

No, i have the best protein shake!
O.O looks like sum1 will have to get on their knees.....i'm not the 1 interested in a "protein shake" Danjel is xD lol O.O
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:52am
You know why women have smaller feet right?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 5:57am

You know why women have smaller feet right?
no why?
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:00am
So they can stand closer to the sink,    LOLOLOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:01am

So they can stand closer to the sink,    LOLOLOL
....,,i don't get it O.O
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:06am
really?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:08am

really?
yes really......O.O should i know this??
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:09am
um......huh! 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2009 at 6:11am
ur confusing me :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>