Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Attitude and Momentum is a Game Changer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
FnA
FnA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attitude and Momentum is a Game Changer
    Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 11:58pm
The Mental Game of UT

Yooo RemY is back with another guide in hand. I needed help to produce this guide so I used some sources of top teams and some questioning of top team captains of Counter-Strike 1.6. This guide will benefit ALL teams and it will change the flow during a game or change the tides after a map. Sorry about this huge wall of text I am about present to you, but I hope this will change the many attitudes of teams in this community.

The Emotions, Attitudes, and Tempers

Emotion is such a wild beast in every day application. A person can walk out of a job, leave a loved one, or even kill someone, based on emotions. Now you add in the fickle world of eSports, a variably contract-less community with a complete and utter lack of loyalty, and you are basically welcoming trouble. One single player’s single outburst of a single feeling could be the executioners axe on a team that you spent months building and practicing with.

Every player currently playing UT has a temperament related to the game. We most of all notice the hot heads, the angry, snarling, cursing maniacs who can't let a single rocket or flack go. **** happens and teams gotta deal with it. In this guide, I will bring team captains or teams certain psychological tips on how to deal with behaviors of their fellow teammates.

What You should Look for

Look for the chatter. Teammate abuse is like ovarian cancer, it’s the silent killer of teams, long term without many warning signs. Believe it or not, sometimes even comments that might be seen as jokes are weighing a mental toll on players. A team is just like a relationship, it’s a partnership, and abusing your partner mentally has the same effect as it does in a relationship, it rots it out from the core. When you begin making comments about a teammate’s skill or abilities you are creating competition within the team. Compete with your opponents, not your teammates. When you create this inner competition, you are begging your players to show off, people stop playing smart, and they only play for numbers, for scores.

What's in it for me?

Momentum could become your secret weapon. Sometimes even the worst teams can rally up and pull off some pretty unbelievable stuff, and its all from that adrenaline. Keeping your teammates pumped up could quite possibly be the difference between your team, and the opponents.

When you're dealing with the issues of morale and momentum, it’s really a situation of leading by example. You have to stay positive, you have to stay active. Momentum promotes stronger and much more consistent communication. Keep your players talking.

Create a set of rules that benefits your teammates specifically. If you have a teammate who whines after each death, then outlaw him from microphone chatter. If a player continues to break these rules, bench him, immediately. Let them know that there is zero tolerance for a princess on your squad. You'd be surprised how quickly these players will break.

If you have a teammate that waits for you to grab the flag, bench him and tell him to come and talk when he grows a pair.  If there is one thing competitive gamers absolutely despise, its getting baited against their will.

What’s the point in playing on a competitive level if you're not playing to win? Take this a little seriously. A positive attitude works in gaming the same way it does in the real world. Take charge, be loud, and be excited.

Getting your players with a solid attitude will bring confidence and momentum to you team. Using these guidelines you will create players with amazing aim, great communication, and astounding aura for your teammates. Let your teammates feed off of your attitude.
name_is_clantag
Do_Or_Die_420 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:08am
Damn Remy that's some deep $h!t.  Alot of use information right there.
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 1:57am
Remy, back then, who would you say was the "chatter" of the team? Me, you, or ric0 suave? :S

Nice guide btw bro. I'm probably gonna sound dumb for saying this, but stepping ya "Mental" game up in any FPS will generally make you better as a player overall
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 2:39am
Originally posted by XKaL1buR

Remy, back then, who would you say was the "chatter" of the team? Me, you, or ric0 suave? :S

rico LOL
name_is_clantag
INCReMENTAL View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:45pm
Lol I thank this came about when someone heard about spamming flak all night, hhmm wonder who that was??? Ill take the loss and good game by the way.

Nice thread and good post, hope people read it.
Currently playing MAG nightly with Wopr, we be owning on SVER n the EF CLAN. UT3 got boring, no competition, nothing else to prove, qM got dat **** on lock.
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:05pm
thanks remy. everyone should read this, i know i needed to! i always complain about spam. hah
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:18pm
good info as always!
you da man remyClap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 2:35am
Thx guys. Love to see teams with alot more intensity.
name_is_clantag
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 4:53am
Nice post... I'd never play on a team without chatters tho. Talking is the best way to win :)
Supreme_Venom View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by RemY

Momentum could become your secret weapon. Sometimes even the worst teams can rally up and pull off some pretty unbelievable stuff, and its all from that adrenaline. Keeping your teammates pumped up could quite possibly be the difference between your team, and the opponents.

What’s the point in playing on a competitive level if you're not playing to win? Take this a little seriously. A positive attitude works in gaming the same way it does in the real world. Take charge, be loud, and be excited.

This part is so true... and players should really consider taking this advice.
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 2:46pm

I'm probably gonna sound dumb for saying this, but stepping ya "Mental" game up in any FPS will generally make you better as a player overall

It's not dumb.. some players just have an ego or are not willing to dedicate their time in to the game and actually try something different.
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Supreme_Venom

Originally posted by RemY

This part is so true... and players should really consider taking this advice.

Indeed
name_is_clantag
i2ic0chet View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote i2ic0chet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 12:55am
Bump this thread!  If there something that I loathe which there is, it is definitely FLAK SHARDS!
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 1:36am
Everybody loves flak shards! It's da new thing nowadays! For only $199.99, you can get a fully a**embled Liandri Corp Flak Cannon! Wife won't shut up while the game's on? Shove 10 shards up her a** with one primary shot! That'll shut her up! Kids won't quit bugging you about taking them to see the next dumb a** Spongebob movie? Well, guess what? Take out that flak, blast all of them at once! For an additional $99, we'll even throw in the Liandri Bio-Rifle! Boss giving you a hard time at work? Whip this baby out, charge it up with the special secondary fire feature, and fire! See how long he lasts!

Cash only. Limited time offer!!!!
Cloudy_Serendipity View Drop Down
Team PcX
Team PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cloudy_Serendipity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 2:26am
FPMSL  Let me know when the shock rifle comes on the market  I'd love to get me one of those :D  Clear rooms of unwanted guests in an instant with Liandri Corp's shock combo special... even splats the bodies into an arty looking mess for your amusement afterwards!

Wise words Sage Remy... definitely some points to chew over there Thumbs Up
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream

Map Hosting: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6luhe8b1pj52y/Cloudy's%20Files
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 4:22am
For me duel is where the mental part came into play the most....There was another post where I was saying that sometimes it takes different people saying things in a different way for my light bulb to come on (Inc said I was slow  .|..) and this was one for me....I don't remember exactly how Kali said it but basically it was you can't sweat it if you are in a duel and someone has you down 5 to nothing....just keep your cool and work your way back into it...don't spazz out and do stupid stuff just play smart and work your way back in.  I must admit this never works when I'm playing top tier people, LOL, I still get way too squirelly... but I have to say that I do think about this when I'm playing a duel and I'm down and it really does help calm me down....before if I was down 5-0 in a duel I would shut down and basically give up and start doing really stupid suff...but after having this small piece of advice from someone that I knew was on the level and following through with it there have been several times where I have been down by a large number 5+ and have come back to win in the end. 

BTW - I'm not trying to turn this into a foot vs vehicle thing it's just the experience I had.
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
XKaL1buR View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote XKaL1buR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 12:48pm
Definitely WOPR. You should always stay calm, relaxed, and focused, no matter how bad you seem to be losing. I came back from a -2 deficit against Maiden one time and ended up winning 10-2. When you start getting nervous, frustrated, or extremely upset and desperate, you tend to lose focus, and as a result, your performance will suffer.
NecroBeestiality View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
Mmmmm Beefy

Post Options Post Options   Quote NecroBeestiality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 1:30am
Originally posted by WOPR-1

BTW - I'm not trying to turn this into a foot vs vehicle thing it's just the experience I had.

Damn...you closed the door any hopes I had of instigating e-feuds. . JK. Or am I?????

The psychology of this game is practically taboo. Tutorials hash and rehash most aspects of this game frequently. The psychological aspect is really the foundation of online game play so it is great to see some dialogue regarding that.

I can attest to the reference to adrenaline being a factor in comebacks. I got a little sauced one night and getting beat time after time (was on some bad teams) I got real angry and felt the adrenaline rush. I spent the next 2 games of vctf using the shock rifle to butcher people from any distance. These were people that normally humiliate me. It was pretty surreal. Afterwards I was pretty exhausted and had to cut my night short of playing. Adrenaline allowed me to fine tune my focus to a level that I didn't know existed. Sounds silly but its a true story. Now getting teammates on that level with me.......that would be amazing.

House Music All Night Long

"Insted of peaple coming on this website were peaple are b**ing about peaple behind each uthers backs" - QuickRC
NecroBeestiality View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
Mmmmm Beefy

Post Options Post Options   Quote NecroBeestiality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 1:32am
This should be stickied in every private clan thread.
House Music All Night Long

"Insted of peaple coming on this website were peaple are b**ing about peaple behind each uthers backs" - QuickRC
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 3:50am
I hadn't seen this one yet, aren't you writing a bit too many guides?
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Drokun

LOL
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Drokun

Not enough guides.
name_is_clantag
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 2:01pm

Definitely WOPR. You should always stay calm, relaxed, and focused, no matter how bad you seem to be losing. I came back from a -2 deficit against Maiden one time and ended up winning 10-2. When you start getting nervous, frustrated, or extremely upset and desperate, you tend to lose focus, and as a result, your performance will suffer.

Lol remember our fight Tongue Even tho it was probably just the ping but still you could see what happened when I started to go "Insane in the membrain" Dead
CarloThunder View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote CarloThunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 8:36am
Originally posted by WOPR-1

For me duel is where the mental part came into play the most....There was another post where I was saying that sometimes it takes different people saying things in a different way for my light bulb to come on (Inc said I was slow  .|..) and this was one for me....I don't remember exactly how Kali said it but basically it was you can't sweat it if you are in a duel and someone has you down 5 to nothing....just keep your cool and work your way back into it...don't spazz out and do stupid stuff just play smart and work your way back in.  I must admit this never works when I'm playing top tier people, LOL, I still get way too squirelly... but I have to say that I do think about this when I'm playing a duel and I'm down and it really does help calm me down....before if I was down 5-0 in a duel I would shut down and basically give up and start doing really stupid suff...but after having this small piece of advice from someone that I knew was on the level and following through with it there have been several times where I have been down by a large number 5+ and have come back to win in the end. 

Couldn't agree more with this.  When i'm getting owned in a duel i admit i just give up most of the time specially if i'm playing an awesome dueler.  One duel i did recently i was 9-3 up with 3 minutes left and ended up getting killed 7 times in 2 minutes to lose the game.  Ever since then i give up too easily in duel. Ouch
all roun nice guy lol.
RemY View Drop Down
FnA
FnA

Post Options Post Options   Quote RemY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 3:13pm
A good way to improve ur dueling game is to watch some footage of duels like in this one v one toruney. There are lot of high skilled duels there if you haven't looked at them

name_is_clantag
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>