Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > I'm So Smart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Team KmA
Team KmA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION!!
    Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 1:28pm
The Energy Information Administration, a subgroup within the Department of Energy, has the following energy consumption projects.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/highlights.html

Virtually every year, electrical consumption has increased, not only in the US, but across the globe.  This trend that will continue to hold true as nations like India and China, having 37% of the world's population, demand energy consumption comparable to leading nations.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(population+of+india+%2B+population+of+china)%2F(population+of+world)

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by SRC_ROLLTIDE

law of conservation of matter... says matter cannot be created or destroyed.  Fact CO2 is a greenhouse gas.  Fact burning fossil fuels releases CO2.  So when we fire up the factory, all those byproducts (ie CO2) don't disappear into Bunnyland.... At that point all those billions of tons of CO2 and other greenhouse gases we put up there every day stay there. 

If people can walk on the moon, a cleaner energy source can be found and utilized.  

Your statement is accurate, if we add  the following segment after destroyed: "in chemical reactions."

Several nuclear processes destroy matter, converting it into energy - Fission, Spontaneous Fission, Fusion, and Annihilation.  These do not violate the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, also called Law of Conservation of Energy, energy can neither be created nor destroyed only changed in form.
http://www.saskschools.ca/curr_content/chem30_05/appendix/glossary.htm

Regardless, you central point remains the same; CO2 is being created at an unprecedented scale, effectively accumulating in our atmosphere.
Total CO2 emissions per day from all the coal fired power plants in India was 1.1 thousand tons per day in 1997-98 and annual emission has been computed to be 395 million tons.
http://www.osc.edu/research/archive/pcrm/emissions/thermalemissions.shtml

SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 1:00am
I don't necessarily totally believe in it, but I have taken some measures to recycling, turning off unused lights and appliances, etc.

However, if anything, I think the world might be getting close to a cool down, though this is mainly based on my observations of my state's weather.  For us, as far as I know it, the last two or three summers have been kind of cool/ ended fairly early, or at least earlier than they have or I expect.  I mean, look at July here.  A big chunk of this year's July was in the lower 80's and 70's (We even had a few days that didn't even make it out of the 60's.), unlike a typical July in Indiana.  Right now, we're 5-10 degrees below average and have had a lot days like that recently.

Lol, maybe the Day After Tomorrow thing is starting to happen and by that, I mean the Global Warming (if it is indeed true) has reached it's peak and now, an (mini) ice age is about to happen.

Btw, if something like the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" happened.  It wouldn't be so instantaneous, like the movie.  Movies about disasters are usually made to be far dramatic than it really would be.  From what I've heard, it would take a decade or so, for something like this to come into full effect.
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 1:24am
Didn't Al Gore say we already pa**ed the point of no return?
Rolltide, you say you don't recycle because it is essentially pointless. Why isn't your belief of the global warming folklore met with the same apathy?
LOL-i-ZER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LOL-i-ZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:23am
Originally posted by COKKENBALLS

Most of the people that support the theory (yes, it is a theory), 

The effect man has on the earth's core temperature is about the same effect one fly landing in the Atlantic would have on ocean levels.

First: it is not a Theory: hundreds of reports and analyses proove that there is a global warming going on. Exxon , Total... and other companies like this try to make people doubt about it, for their own benefit. I work with a lot of scientist working on global warming. I can tell you that every 3 years, they are astonish to see that the changes have gone worst then the worst theory has predicted.

Second: you look to be a great person, as you do a lot in order to lower your environmental impact on earth.  But I can tell you that the effect of man is huge on temperature. When we talk about global warming, people think about temperature rising up to 10 or 20 degrees. But its not the case. Keep in mind that the difference between ice age and now is just 2 or 3 degrees (average on the year long). 6 degrees it's the level of species extinction.

last: the proble of global warming, is that as always, the rich countries will not suffer much. Only the poors one will be destroyed. We pollute, they die. always the same story.

conclusion: I personnaly think it is too late for man kind. What we are curently observing is just the start phase of a very complicated process, that will drive the world to a major change. We have to be realistic: throughout the ages, Earth has changed dramaticly. lots of species have disappeared; new ones have rosen. Our time has come. I don't think I will see it, but I think my kids will.

tw: have you watched the movie "HOME" on youtube ? have a look, it's beautifull and interesting

OUCH !! THAT HURTS
Free Agent
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 11:34am
Originally posted by LOL-i-ZER

1) It is not a Theory: hundreds of reports and analysis prove that there is a global warming going on.... worst then the worst theory has predicted.

2) Exxon , Total... and other companies like this try to make people doubt about it, for their own benefit.

1) Discrepancy?  If it is not a theory, then is it a law?  A scientific law must always apply under the same conditions, and implies a causal relationship between its elements.  Climate Change models can't pa** these stringent conditions.

2) This is 1 of the 7 signs of pseudoscience - The discoverer says that a powerful establishment is trying to suppress his or work.
[URL]http://scienceblogs.com/islandofdoubt/2008/01/the_seven_signs_of_pseudoscien.php[/ULR]

Can you show me 1 ad from either of these firms against anthropogenic climate change?
LOL-i-ZER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LOL-i-ZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 1:12pm
1) men produce CO².  CO² is a gaz with warming affects. temperatures rose in the last 50 years faster than ever before (prooved by ice analysis). I see causes and effects here: it's sounds like a law, not a theory

2) I drive a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI (diesel, French model), an American car. I can drive 60 miles with a gallon...with an American car!!  How can you explain that you don't have that car in US ? there is a version( FORD SEDON or something like that), with a big engine, that use a lot of fuel. Why ? because American are big pigs that drive only big cars ! No, I don't think so. I've lived in the US and I know Americans people. There are like everybody: they have not completly the choice of their behaviour. How can they buy a "green" car if there are any for sale !

My AMERICAN FORD  car use less fuel than the Toyota PRIUS! with no electric engine inside !!  WHY ???!!
May be becaus eEXXON, is the biggest company in the world, with profits bigger than most country budget in the world. Of course they are not making any add or notes or anything else about  global warming. But they do their  best to be sure that the situation remains the same as long as possible. It's a kind of deny I think.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, the French TOTAL company, do the same. A french company developped 10 years ago a car that run 60 miles with air pressurized and half a liter of fuel.
Guess what !  no one cares. and everything has been done in order for this company not to sale any car. But it still exist.

bye
OUCH !! THAT HURTS
Free Agent
SRC_ROLLTIDE View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:26pm
The everyday use of the word theory does not mean the same thing from the the word theory in science: Wikipedia

A theory, in the scientific sense of the word, is an analytic structure designed to explain a set of empirical observations. A scientific theory does two things:

1. it identifies this set of distinct observations as a cla** of phenomena, and
  2. makes a**ertions about the underlying reality that brings about or affects this cla**.
Take evolution for example.  It is a theory in the sense that the causes of it are not totally understood.  We know evolution does occur by looking at fossils, bacteria becoming "immune" to antibiotics, even by the way every breed of dog came into existence (they all came from wolves).  So to explain this, a HYPOTHESIS is gathered to support the findings.  Such is the case in how natural selection explains evolution.
With global warming, you have a theory in that the world is warming.  The evidence is there no matter how you slice it (ice core sampling, the correlations of CO2 and temperature, etc.).  The greenhouse effect is a natural phenomenon.  It is why Venus is the hottest planet (its atmosphere is primarily CO2).  It is also why the earth is a perfect temperature to support life.  However, the equilibrium has been put into a tailspin because of the excess of CO2.  The hypothesis is that man is much to blame for this excess CO2 (about 25 billion tons a year).

And Cokk, nowhere did I say I didn't recycle because I do.  I said recycling really is not as good as people make it out to be.  It still takes energy (although less) to break down those recycled items into their components for reuse.  It is good from the sense of keeping it out of landfills.  But, the long term answer is finding cleaner ways to make energy. 
And as far as what Al Gore said, let me pose this question to you.  God forbid you or a loved one is told you have some ailment and are given, say, 3 months to live.  Are you going to do everything in your power to fight and live, or are you going to go home to die?
My central idea has not waivered one bit.  Even if this is crying wolf, the benefits of finding cleaner energy will pay for itself in the long run.  Not even the most of critics can deny that.

No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
AKA: RollTideAlabama, Rage-of-ROLLTIDE, Fear-of-ROLLTIDE
SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:46pm
I do admit that some of the benefits are worth it.  The effects of turning off the lights and other stuff you're not using has shown up on the old energy bill, as have the effects of a big chunk of my lights being energy saver light bulbs. (I mainly got them because getting new bulbs every 3 or 4, if not 5/6 months, seems more likely to cost more than paying more for ones that are more likely to last 2-3 years.)  I'm going with 2-3 instead of five, since five year bulbs probably don't last that long if you use them like I do, though I'm not sure how much more I use them than the next person.  I just know that I probably have my lights on a bit longer than most people, even if you consider me turning them off when I'm not in the room, which I've been forgetting to do a little more, recently.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 3:14pm
The earth has been warming for 50 years? How do you explain the "global cooling" scare of the late 70's?
Also, the earth has come out of 7 previous ice ages. How did Exxon warm the earth on those occaisions?
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 3:46pm
well I would hope we know more now than in the 70s considering technology has come light years.  
No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 3:50pm

The earth has been warming for 50 years? How do you explain the "global cooling" scare of the late 70's?
Also, the earth has come out of 7 previous ice ages. How did Exxon warm the earth on those occaisions?

we know global warming is natural, but i think the point is that we're speeding up the process. how could we not be speeding it up?
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:07pm
To add some numbers to this discussion.  Year changes in upper left, while difference from mean changes in upper right.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/animations/a5_1881_2003_6fps.mp4
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:32pm
Global Warming-Yes
Man Made Global Warming-Not really!
The Earth is Ma**ive, and you believe what we have done in 100 measley years will effect how this planet will change, a planet that was here for billions of years! Imagine the size of your room, not very big huh? Now imagine the size of your room but make the ceiling 6 miles high! If you want to stop the change of our climate (like a mosquito swapping engine in your car) go kill a few million cows! Ever seen a cow in the wild? How many more cows do you think there are today as opposed to 200 years ago? Ever heard of warming periods? Ever heard of the ice age?
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:40pm

1) men produce CO².  CO² is a gaz with warming affects. temperatures rose in the last 50 years faster than ever before (prooved by ice analysis). I see causes and effects here: it's sounds like a law, not a theory

2) I drive a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI (diesel, French model), an American car. I can drive 60 miles with a gallon...with an American car!!  How can you explain that you don't have that car in US ? there is a version( FORD SEDON or something like that), with a big engine, that use a lot of fuel. Why ? because American are big pigs that drive only big cars ! No, I don't think so. I've lived in the US and I know Americans people. There are like everybody: they have not completly the choice of their behaviour. How can they buy a "green" car if there are any for sale !

My AMERICAN FORD  car use less fuel than the Toyota PRIUS! with no electric engine inside !!  WHY ???!!
May be becaus eEXXON, is the biggest company in the world, with profits bigger than most country budget in the world. Of course they are not making any add or notes or anything else about  global warming. But they do their  best to be sure that the situation remains the same as long as possible. It's a kind of deny I think.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, the French TOTAL company, do the same. A french company developped 10 years ago a car that run 60 miles with air pressurized and half a liter of fuel.
Guess what !  no one cares. and everything has been done in order for this company not to sale any car. But it still exist.

bye
Hope you didnt buy that focus as a fuel saver in hopes to 'Save the Earth'! If you did, guess what, a small division of motorsports just consumed what you saved in 10 years! Millions of teenagers just got there first car! You essentially cut 1 blade of gra** in your yard, but 50 blades just grew in its place!
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by SP61gTSupra

The Earth is Ma**ive

45.01 people per square kilometer on the earth, using a 2007 estimate.  
The earth is not as ma**ive as you think....
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=population+of+world%2F148%2C300%2C000+square+kilometers
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/DanielChen.shtml

Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by HanFei

The Earth is Ma**ive
45.01 people per square kilometer on the earth, using a 2007 estimate.  The earth is not as ma**ive as you think....
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=population+of+world%2F148%2C300%2C000+square+kilometershttp://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/DanielChen.shtml
45.01 repeating??? Is that counting the water area as well? Besides, more my point was, your room is small, but with 6 mile high ceilings times every ones bedroom...
warfare View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote warfare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 6:11pm

Most of the people that support the theory (yes, it is a theory), 

The effect man has on the earth's core temperature is about the same effect one fly landing in the Atlantic would have on ocean levels.

First: it is not a Theory: hundreds of reports and analyses proove that there is a global warming going on. Exxon , Total... and other companies like this try to make people doubt about it, for their own benefit. I work with a lot of scientist working on global warming. I can tell you that every 3 years, they are astonish to see that the changes have gone worst then the worst theory has predicted.

Second: you look to be a great person, as you do a lot in order to lower your environmental impact on earth.  But I can tell you that the effect of man is huge on temperature. When we talk about global warming, people think about temperature rising up to 10 or 20 degrees. But its not the case. Keep in mind that the difference between ice age and now is just 2 or 3 degrees (average on the year long). 6 degrees it's the level of species extinction.

last: the proble of global warming, is that as always, the rich countries will not suffer much. Only the poors one will be destroyed. We pollute, they die. always the same story.

conclusion: I personnaly think it is too late for man kind. What we are curently observing is just the start phase of a very complicated process, that will drive the world to a major change. We have to be realistic: throughout the ages, Earth has changed dramaticly. lots of species have disappeared; new ones have rosen. Our time has come. I don't think I will see it, but I think my kids will.

tw: have you watched the movie "HOME" on youtube ? have a look, it's beautifull and interesting

Lolizer you're being far too pessimistic.  Even IF the earth were to heat up such that most of the population were to die off,  then wouldn't this so-called man-made global warming stop?!? You say the poor countries are done for, well that's a pretty sizable chunk of the earth's population.  Therefore, most of these pesky humans will be gone (according to your doomsday scenario) and presto no more man-made global warming.

On the contrary, you Europeans have a more pressing catastrophe on the near horizen anyway and that is your native populations are not reproducing fast enough to sustain themselves.  I'm pretty sure I read that Italy is on the verge of obliterating itself from earth's gene pool.  Russia is in the same boat, in fact most if not all the population growth is coming from the immigrant populations in your countries.   
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by warfare

Lolizer you're being far too pessimistic.  Even IF the earth were to heat up such that most of the population were to die off,  then wouldn't this so-called man-made global warming stop?!? You say the poor countries are done for, well that's a pretty sizable chunk of the earth's population.  Therefore, most of these pesky humans will be gone (according to your doomsday scenario) and presto no more man-made global warming.

On the contrary, you Europeans have a more pressing catastrophe on the near horizen anyway and that is your native populations are not reproducing fast enough to sustain themselves.  I'm pretty sure I read that Italy is on the verge of obliterating itself from earth's gene pool.  Russia is in the same boat, in fact most if not all the population growth is coming from the immigrant populations in your countries.   

Who cares if native Italians go extinct.  The world is so connected now, that is going to become more common.  I don't think our species is in trouble (1 billion added in 12 years).  It would be a good thing to stop breeding like rabbits.
No pension to retire <_<
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 8:09pm

Global Warming-Yes
Man Made Global Warming-Not really!
The Earth is Ma**ive, and you believe what we have done in 100 measley years will effect how this planet will change, a planet that was here for billions of years! Imagine the size of your room, not very big huh? Now imagine the size of your room but make the ceiling 6 miles high! If you want to stop the change of our climate (like a mosquito swapping engine in your car) go kill a few million cows! Ever seen a cow in the wild? How many more cows do you think there are today as opposed to 200 years ago? Ever heard of warming periods? Ever heard of the ice age?

You make a good point with the cows.  The deforestation to hold these cows, not to mention the process just to get a hamburger at the local fast food takes so much energy (I'm guilty here).  100 years may not be that great on the time scale of Earth, but what you are seeing is the BEGINNING of something much larger.  Also when you take into account of all the space in the entire universe that life can live, Earth is pin-head.  Watch that Pale Blue Dot in this same section.
No pension to retire <_<
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 9:48pm
I refuse to argue the science of global warming. I only entered this thread to ask why the folk lore believers weren't doing anything about it since lives are allegedly at stake. My question has been, for the most part, answered, punditry.
LOL-i-ZER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LOL-i-ZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 3:00am

Hope you didnt buy that focus as a fuel saver in hopes to 'Save the Earth'! If you did, guess what, a small division of motorsports just consumed what you saved in 10 years! Millions of teenagers just got there first car! You essentially cut 1 blade of gra** in your yard, but 50 blades just grew in its place!
Of course I did ! that was the family car with the lowest fuel consumption, and the lowest CO² emission 119g/km.
And yes I agree, it's just a water drop effect in an ocean world. But think to that: it's that kind of water drop that is making the global warning: the behaviour of all single man on earth has an effect. So why can we try to make a change, individually?
But you, the king of discussion we are having right know explain why I'm so pessimitic: the house is burning, and we are discussing if we should open the window because it's getting hard to breath !

here is a link

that's the group that unite all the expert in the world, and that analyse all the study in the world on global warming (under United Nation, and World Meteorological Organisation supervision). Look at what they say. It's not me.

here is the last report:

OUCH !! THAT HURTS
Free Agent
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 4:47am

Originally posted by HanFei

The Earth is Ma**ive
45.01 people per square kilometer on the earth, using a 2007 estimate.  The earth is not as ma**ive as you think....
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=population+of+world%2F148%2C300%2C000+square+kilometers
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/DanielChen.shtml
45.01 repeating??? Is that counting the water area as well? Besides, more my point was, your room is small, but with 6 mile high ceilings times every ones bedroom...

The second link sourced shows that figure is just land, not water.
warfare View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote warfare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 8:31am

Of course I did ! that was the family car with the lowest fuel consumption, and the lowest CO² emission 119g/km.
And yes I agree, it's just a water drop effect in an ocean world. But think to that: it's that kind of water drop that is making the global warning: the behaviour of all single man on earth has an effect. So why can we try to make a change, individually?
But you, the king of discussion we are having right know explain why I'm so pessimitic: the house is burning, and we are discussing if we should open the window because it's getting hard to breath !

here is a link

that's the group that unite all the expert in the world, and that analyse all the study in the world on global warming (under United Nation, and World Meteorological Organisation supervision). Look at what they say. It's not me.

here is the last report:

Lolizer,

Umm were you directing that king-of-discussion at me?(I'M the one who said you were being pessimistic Ermm)  If so then...

I'm half serious when I say that if what you say comes to pa**, that is, that a sizable portion of the earth's population is doomed to extinction, then isn't this ultimately a self-correcting problem???  As the poor countries of the world begin to die off (as you say they will) then the impact of man on global warming will become less and less....voila problem solved.  If you're wrong things will turn out all right and if you're right the problem will self-correct!!  WIN-WIN Smile

Not to mention the added benefit of pleasing people like Rolltide ("Who cares if native Italian populations go extinct") who think there are far too many of us (humans) anyway. Just saying....
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 12:30pm
Again, I remind everyone that if the global warming believers held their belief for reasons other than their political punditry, they would be doing more to save the lives they alledge are at risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>