FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Keyboard & Mouse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyboard & Mouse
    Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Danjel8

Originally posted by WOPR-1

Try mouse and controller...it's by far the best combination I think.

How would that work? I don't think I could hold the controller in one hand and using KB/M makes me feel dizzy and sick when I play. Looks like I'm stuck with the controller.

ive played WOPR WAAYYYY back in the day ias HiGHRiSE002 in insta duel and hes right mouse and controller are the best , its just another learning curve that will prolly make u a jacka** with the shock and sniper if u practice it.

ReverendCrow View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Danjel8

Try mouse and controller...it's by far the best combination I think.

How would that work? I don't think I could hold the controller in one hand and using KB/M makes me feel dizzy and sick when I play. Looks like I'm stuck with the controller.
depends on how you sit you put ur controller kinda on your thigh to keep it steady and in ur hand instead of falling out mouse with ur right hand (obviously) L1 jump L2 talk thats pretty much it oh and Mouse three (push in scroll) to get in and out of vehicles hoverboard or use translocator to self destruct you press in L1 and then mouse 3  taaadaaaa its a bit more difficult to maneuver a vehicle though
Nova View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 7:48pm
the PERFECT binds for weapons

Shift-Sniper
F-Flak
R-Rocket
C-Minigun
everything else - normal.

hehe for me anyways.

Quake and UT04 its alot different.

XBL=GeNovaZ
PC=NovazZ
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 10:28pm
I'll tell you my getup even though I know when you picture it you will all laugh, lol!  Cuz I know I look like a complete loser when I'm playin...

So...I bring my highback PC desk chair into the living room about 4 feet from the 50" plasma (lol)...then big pillow on my lap...on top of that a big cutting board that houses my keyboard, mouse pad and mouse..cell phone...house phone...and maybe a c***tail.  It's wide enough that both my elbows are on the cutting board...left hand I have the controller right hand mouse....oh and don't forget the air traffic controller style headphones...LOL!

I've got jump at L3 and push to talk on L2.  Primary fire left mouse, secondary fire right mouse and translocater/hover board is mouse 3 (mouse wheel push).

I knew this conversation would go down this road as it always does...the mouse support on UT3 is "ok" at best...when I go play UT3 on PC or QL or some other PC FPS it takes me multiple sessions to get back to aiming normal again.  I think mouse is maybe a little bit of an advantage to people that use the mouse in other games but you really have to practice at it to get good with it...which is the same with a controller....idk...some of the best PS3 players (and also players with the best aim mind you) are controller players...so I don't think it's a matter of one being that much better than the other it's just putting in the time to own with whichever you like best that's all.

Controller v mouse on a PC is an easy call....controller vs mouse on a console depends on the user.
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
MrKshaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrKshaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 3:50am

I'll tell you my getup even though I know when you picture it you will all laugh, lol!  Cuz I know I look like a complete loser when I'm playin...

So...I bring my highback PC desk chair into the living room about 4 feet from the 50" plasma (lol)...then big pillow on my lap...on top of that a big cutting board that houses my keyboard, mouse pad and mouse..cell phone...house phone...and maybe a c***tail.  It's wide enough that both my elbows are on the cutting board...left hand I have the controller right hand mouse....oh and don't forget the air traffic controller style headphones...LOL!

I've got jump at L3 and push to talk on L2.  Primary fire left mouse, secondary fire right mouse and translocater/hover board is mouse 3 (mouse wheel push).

I knew this conversation would go down this road as it always does...the mouse support on UT3 is "ok" at best...when I go play UT3 on PC or QL or some other PC FPS it takes me multiple sessions to get back to aiming normal again.  I think mouse is maybe a little bit of an advantage to people that use the mouse in other games but you really have to practice at it to get good with it...which is the same with a controller....idk...some of the best PS3 players (and also players with the best aim mind you) are controller players...so I don't think it's a matter of one being that much better than the other it's just putting in the time to own with whichever you like best that's all.

Controller v mouse on a PC is an easy call....controller vs mouse on a console depends on the user.
this wa usefull, thanks wopr. the bullsh it between envy and crow will never end, as it were....
ffrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ffrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 11:19am
Originally posted by MrKshaker

someone here tryed frag fx v2??
Thinking of bying one!
but not if its a waste...

krister

I bought one (V2) back in May specifically for COD but I tried it on UT3... I couldn't get to grips with the thing at all. I spent roughly 4 hours with a ton of different settings on 3 games and threw in the towel. On Ut3 I couldn't get it anywhere near my mouse/pad combo set up, even though it had better sensitivity settings! I sent it back for a refund the next day, considering it was £60.

However... this is just my own preference! If I had the time and patience to learn how to use it then it probably be a great controller! I play UT3 with an MX518 and a standard controller, that combo works perfectly for me. I remember when I first got the 518 and thought, sh1t, I'm never going to get used to this, now it fits like a glove and all other mice feel inferior...

I know a few people who play with the FragFX and they are excellent, so it goes to show it does work... it's just whether or not you want to put the time in to get used to another controller.
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 12:11pm
I just cleaned this thread.  There's no reason why every time someone asks about kb/m it should turn into a flame war.  Everyone has their own opinion and no one is going to change their mind about it so unless you have something useful to add to help the OP then leave it alone.
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 12:36pm
Ok here is the comparison. I'm not a PC FPS player who has been at this for 8 years like Deadaim. UT3 is the first game i really dedicated myself to get skilled with the Keyboard and mouse. Now from playing UT2K4 at a friends house this what i know.

On the PS3 you have the option to either use a controller or KBM, or fragFX if you have one. I've never used a FragFX so i will not comment on it in my comparison.

Controller:

The Pro's - The Controller is VERY responsive on UT3 for PS3. Epic Games did a great job incoprating the controller to UT3. They utilized it extremely well and it feels like there is literally no input lag what so ever. You press a button, it responds instantly. With analog sticks you can turn indefinately. Unlike the mouse, you have to pick it up then set down again on mouse pad if you keep turning in on direction (which can prove fatal because when you lift your mouse your crosshair is stagnant. But, if you have extremely high sensitivity. This won't be as big of a problem. BUT, it can still be difficult at times. Because when you run out of mouse pad you are forced to lift the mouse. Which as i said, can get you killed). Keep in mind this when using a DUALSHOCK 3. The Sixaxis is not as responsive, on any game.

Con's - It more difficult to traverse and most players use the movement of their body to aim, which can make it more difficult to evade enemy fire. Because your aim and body movement are not completely seperate when using a controller. When using vehicle's it can be difficult to move and shoot with accuracy. Depending on your vehicle controls (relative, mixed, or direct).

Keyboard and Mouse:

Pro's - Much, much easier to traverse your crosshair when aiming. Certain thing's such as shock combo's. shafting, and flick shots can be easier to achive with a mouse. When controlling vehicles, if your settings are on Direct. Your movement and Aim are both totally seperate. So for instance i can dodge are scoprion self-destruct and then nail the noob with a skymine all at the same time with ease.

Con's - There is some serious input lag/delay with the mouse and keyboard. And it is not nearly as responsive as a controller. For example, sometimes when you click left/right click or hit a key to select a specific weapon or change to translocator. Your command will either be delayed or fail to occur all together. Which cna get you killed easily. Also, the support for KBM is piss poor compared to PC installments. Your ability to hotkey is extremely limited. And there are critical keys your not allowed to use to hotkey with which sucks a**. Also if you have a crappy mouse with low DPI it can make hitscan weapons a nightmare to use if you lack the experience. I use a MX518 with mouse smoothing turned off and with my sensitivity set to 5 with my DPI all the way up. I use a Razer - Exact-X mouse pad. So my gear is good so when i aim with my mouse it is more responsive and accurate according to the movement of my hand.

So to summarize this in a simple analogy.

The Controller is like driving an Automatic. You don't have to worry about shifting gears, burning clutch or f***ing up your transmission. It is easier to drive with and is more relaxing to use.

The KBM is like driving a Standard/Stick shift. If you much more control their. But the extreme's are much greater. You can suck alot more than a controller player. But if you master it, you can become a more precise driver. But if you lose your train of throught and lose focus you can serious f*** up bad. But there is more potiential there then the controller.

So this is speaking from experience. Disagress all you want, but this is really the way it is.
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Helscream

It more difficult to traverse and most players use the movement of their body to aim

That's actually the first thing a PC player told me I was doing when I showed him my last vid.

Originally posted by Helscream

I use a MX518

Do you like it? I've been recommended it before - on PC version I currently use the stock mouse which came with my system, probably not too much quality there.
Also do you think a mousepad is required even if you have a smooth surface?
I doubt I'll go off the mousepad a lot.. I used about 3.2 inches for a 360 degree turn.

With this other USB mouse I once got for free it seemed easy to play but the game felt bad.. I'm not sure if it was the game or the mouse but it seemed real choppy (maybe because of the low fps on ps3?).
The only reason for me not to practice mouse is that it'll mess up my PC aim.

Nice breakdown btw.
_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 12:55pm

thank you for someone finally being truthful about kbm. ive been waiting over 2 years for this post...

sympathy one gets for nothing,
EnVy must be earned"
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 1:10pm
be serious envy everyone of us has already said that in every way shape or form yet you still believe mouse is so superior to controller on console
MrKshaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MrKshaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 1:41pm
TY Hellscream. Im gonna try it on friday... if i dont like mouse, i stick to my controller.
PS: my personal oppinion from gaming is that it is easyer to be in cars raptor darkwalker using the stick.
ok,ty very nice.

krister
_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by ReverendCrow

be serious envy everyone of us has already said that in every way shape or form yet you still believe mouse is so superior to controller on console

i still believe it is, nothing will change my mind...

sympathy one gets for nothing,
EnVy must be earned"
JakeT111 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JakeT111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 2:57pm
I could never use kb/m even if I wanted to, I play lying on my bed...
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:00pm
Skiller I sent you a PM.

I wiped your comments (and the comments of others) because they are simply not at all productive to the conversation and on top of that are only encouraging more arguments that we all know no one will budge on so give it a rest....and I'm not just saying that to you or the people that don't like kb/m...I'm saying it to EVERYONE...having a normal civil debate is one thing but constantly trying to talk down to the other person gets old....and again...I'm not just talking to you I'm talking to everyone behaving that way.
Team VAG
Team VAG

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReverendCrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:01pm
i obviously play sittin up but how the hell can u play layin down i find it so difficult i could never play layin down even when i used to play socom 24/7 i could never  lay back and play felt so uncomfy and it made me suck harder then incrementals mom
Do_Or_Die_420 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by JakeT111

I could never use kb/m even if I wanted to, I play lying on my bed...

And i thought i was the only one playin layin flat on my back in my bed...Usually about ten feet away from the Tv...I've wanted too try out keyboard & mouse but i'll probably be average anyway i play.
INCReMENTAL View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:05pm
Lol @ Crow.

Lol @ WOPR from Skillers post, sorry.

Lol @ Skiller, bro I posted some **** after what u posted and it was turning into a flame war, Wopr just deleted all the trash after my post so stay off his a**.
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:09pm
DoD I thought u played below average now, lmao, jk.
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by INCReMENTAL

DoD I thought u played below average now, lmao, jk.

When we gonna duel?  So i can show you below average LoL  Nobody can make -1 look as good ina duel as myself Angry
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by ReverendCrow

i obviously play sittin up but how the hell can u play layin down i find it so difficult i could never play layin down even when i used to play socom 24/7 i could never  lay back and play felt so uncomfy and it made me suck harder then incrementals mom

Is she single?!?  $h!t my bad i gotta remember this isnt eharmony.com

Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:20pm
Lol at DoD. Ill duel u anyday of the week, don't know when ur on tho since someone deleted me off PSN not once but twice. Bastard.

AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:27pm

Lol at DoD. Ill duel u anyday of the week, don't know when ur on tho since someone deleted me off PSN not once but twice. Bastard.

We should be hostin a DM or Survival Duel tonight...What id you on most these days?  Your ICN account i'm guessing...
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:33pm
Yes Incremental, I'd love to play u guys DoD, I've seen your rooms up but you don't host KBM, if you host KBM, Ill play. Lol.
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 4:35pm

Yes Incremental, I'd love to play u guys DoD, I've seen your rooms up but you don't host KBM, if you host KBM, Ill play. Lol.

Aiight bet...Actually our VCTF server is now keyboard & mouse friendly...When i switch da server over to DM or DUEL i'll try & remember too add that option for you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>