Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Defending on Suspense

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defending on Suspense
    Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 5:50am
So for many months I've been playing this map, I've ran flags and defended the flag and learnt a lot.

Depending on the type of player you are and what team your in the defensive strategy will vary, hopefully people can contribute to this thread and give people pointers about defending.

My first tip would be not to sit or camp directly on the flag... why? Well imagine that its a 5v5 clan match, soon enough if you let the other team pressure you in your own base there is gonna be a goliath, hell bender and raptor buzzing around murdering you and you try and shoot the flag carrier with your enforcer. Trust me your not getting that flag back.

Spread out the defence, its important to have someone who can disrupt the enemys flow and view the map from the longbow tower, its also essential this guy is a great communicator.

The most commonly used vehicle for defence is the goliath. No need for me to go into specifics here! But depending on your flag runs and routes why not try using the goliath offensively and give the hell bender a shot at covering the flag? Its fast, just as powerful when used properly and has the benefit of a powerful hitscan weapon. Usually I find it best to park this where the manta spawns. All will make sense after the next defensive strategy.

Consider that you have a person on the longbow tower scouting for vehicles coming to the base, a hellbender actively controlling the flag are and the rear respawn entry position, now put another guy with a longbow on the side roof of the main respawn facing the water.

These 3 points combined control any vehicles coming to the base and stop the main flag running routes through and alongside the respawn.

This strategy only uses 3 people to defend leaving the other 2 people to run the flag frequently using the raptor for drop offs and pick ups.

If you have someone who is exceptional in the tank you could use another approach which is predominatly what people currently use. The tank is parked in the standard defensive position near the secondary spawn point. And a person on foot is on the roof of the flag house with a longbow, the 'disruptor' on the longbow is able to communicate to these two players when to expect an incoming vehicle... thus making it very hard to break the defence down with solid communication. Note: in both situations the disruptor is likely to have full health and jump boots, get the enemies flag to the bridge and this player can instantly change their role to support.

Of course if you struggle with vehicles and fragging skills, there is always the redeemer. Spawns every 2 minutes, a great offensive and defensive weapon ;)

Feel free to add your defending tips on suspense :)
SickNviciouS View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote SickNviciouS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 6:42am
I'll jump into this one, since I'm a serious tank skank camping noob (defender) on this map. The only thing more satisfying to a flag runner than getting back to his flag is the fact that his own flag is still there so he can score.

Dan, you are 100% correct on both scenarios.  The only things I'll add is that EVERYONE nees to pick up a longbow (avril).  No sense playing a vehicle mode without these.  Two people can aggressively defend on this map effectively, leaving the 3rd to disrupt the other team and control the bridge.

Defenders should be talking on the mic as much as the offensive and disruptive players.  On this map, the person in the tank can see almost everything on their own side and almost everything on the left side of the enemy area.  They see when their raptor or tank moves, they see when the bezerk is up, etc. and they should be talking about it constantly.

When I use the tank, I keep it moving and firing the entire game.  Don't just sit still.  If you "rock" the tank back and forth, you can line up on all of the important aiming points on this map without ever leaving the tank respawn area.  Also, you should be able to charge the tank with your link gun by yourself.  Your teammates will charge you as they respawn behind you.

From where the tank spawns you can hit the following aiming ponts without ever leaving that area, but you can't hit all of them when leaving the tank stationary:

• The entire length of the cables on your side
  • The entire damage amp area on your side
  • The flag
  • The Stinger above the flag
  • Both doors into your main respawn
  • The hallway under your boots
  • The health pick-up under your boots
  • The hallway under your armor
  • Your boots
  • Your longbow
  • The Bezerk pick-up
  • Their longbow area
  • Their armor
  • The hallway under their armor
  • The health pick-up under their armor

You cannot reach a sniper at thier thigh pad armor.  You can roll out and reach a sniper at their Big Keg.  If your flag runner is surrounded in the water, drive the tank down their and give him cover, even if you die in the tank.  If an offensive player tells you that a guy just picked up the redeemer and is headed up the hill, meet him on the hill and blast him before he fires the redeemer at you.

Tank do's and don'ts:
  • Always die in the tank, don't give it to the enemy
  • When a flag runner jumps up to escape through your respawn, shoot the wall above the door to your respawn and kill them with the blast.  Unless you're real good, you'll never hit them directly.
  • Estimate where a manta that is hopping around is going to come back down to the ground and shoot that area.  Mantas are almost always killed by the tank with indrect fire.
  • If from your perspective in the tank, you can see a raptor above the cables on your side, you can't hit it with the tank.  If you can see it below the cables anywhere on your side, then Eagle Eye that thing.
  • When your flag runner says he is on the bridge, get your a** out their and provide cover by clearing the bridge

Split second decisions:
  • Someone just grabbed your flag and a redeemer is coming to kill the tank - stop the flag runner and die in your tank.  you'll respawn and return the flag.
  • A redeemer is coming in high above the tank - switch to the alternate fire and deny it.
  • A redeemer is coming in low to the ground - shoot the ground in front of it to deny it.
  • Three vehicles and a guy on foot approaching the flag - ALWAYS shoot the one closest to the flag first then work your way out
  • A raptor is above the tank and a manta is buzzing it also - shoot the manta, call for a longbow on the raptor and die in the tank if the lonbow fails. NEVER jump out and give the tank to them. If you manage to get out of the tank just as it explodes, use your Stinger alt fire on the raptor.
  • If you are the primary tank driver and you respawn in the main respawn, go get your own longbow before going back to the tank.
Finally, F.U.K. is the only clan that I have seen that can creep in and steal a flag effectively without getting blasted by the tank over and over.  They are effective greater than 60% of the time even against the best tank defenders.  I know their secrets, but have been unable to completely shut them down on this map.  In fact, they're the only team that has taken A-R to a full 20 minutes in Suspense and consistantly denied us a 3-0 win every time.  Great strategy.  Maybe they will share it with you-

Well, that's about half of what you need to know to dominate on this map.  The missing half is the offensive strategy Wink

Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 7:03am
Nice one Aqua Thumbs Up

These strategies are and should be employed by people in pubs or clan matches because it makes it each game harder. I might make a start on a Sandstorm defence guide later.

Keep the tips flowing, I know Two_Fase and DoD could add a few things in here along with Warheart who I thought played very well in the friendly matches at the weekend...
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:38pm
Great Stuff!

Especially the Hellbender piece by Dan ... Such a Powerful and often Underutilized weapon.

Do_Or_Die_420 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:12pm

Spam the jump-boots as soon as your flag is taken LOL

DVirus_R View Drop Down
Team Phoenyx
Team Phoenyx
Scavenger Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Quote DVirus_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:21pm
yeah, i thin the same, great thread.

in public servers i just try to snipe, but hell yeah, there are so many places to take a defender, in the cables you can see the enemy flag carrier if he is scaping, easy to kill him.

in my case i left the defender site for flag runner, cus is more easy to defent, and yeah Danjel it depends how you do, know great points in the map help to do this.

the places for the sentinel is up in the tank room, using the sniper you can see who is  arriving in the base and you can to make an alert to the team, but you should to take the Longbow for destroy the enemy raptor or the manthas for help to your team, another place for this is in the super health site but there is not secure, a sniper can kill you easy there. Must sentinels used the Armor-vest site.

☢ Phyx_ThunderBird
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by SickNviciouS

• When a flag runner jumps up to escape through your respawn, shoot the wall above the door to your respawn and kill them with the blast.  Unless you're real good, you'll never hit them directly.

Shock rifle gets em every time  ;)   Right EnVy?
oXxLunacyxXo View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote oXxLunacyxXo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 12:15am
nice stuff
 Post Reply Post Reply