Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > Music, Movies and TV
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Who likes PunK??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who likes PunK??
    Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 10:36pm
Isn't Avril a Canadian? Maybe she's Canadian for punk? Also, does anyone know if the first UT game came out before she was born? I'd like to know if she was named after the weapon.
UrLord75 View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote UrLord75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 10:54pm
the avril wasn't in the first ut3
DSX_Misfit View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote DSX_Misfit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 4:18am
old punk is better than the new stuff and most newer music is pop punk or emo.                                                                                                     
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 10:50am
dude, this is one of my favorite bands right now. they came to birmingham, alabama last night and played a free show. best show ever. 

wavves

The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 1:14pm
Green Day. The Offspring.
UrLord75 View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote UrLord75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by DSX_Misfit

Clap
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by UrLord75

Originally posted by DSX_Misfit

Clap

i don't know about that, i find awesome new bands everyday. i think you are talking about more mainstream music. go to pitchfork.com for finding good new music. trust me when i say you will find good music. 
- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:13pm
One of the greatest PunK songs eveR?? Imagine driving your car with this song cranked up all the way and smoking a cig. **** would be crazy. you would probably get a ticket.

- Best Coast

SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by SilverJ-17

I always considered Pink and her as more of a punk-ish pop than anything.  I don't really see how she's all out punk though.  As a pop singer, I've always considered her one of the better recent pop singers, based on her body or not.  Well, she's one of the few pop singers that I actually can stand, if she's considered both a pop singer and punk.  Now, for me, I'm honestly more of a new age punk fan and by that, I mean I only like a handful of new age punk singers.  I lean more towards alternative and other rock (such as Hard Rock, like Disturbed) more than anything.  At least, I think Disturbed is Hard Rock.
Distured is in a seperate section, i believe its called Garbage rock, also see Godsmack!
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 12:06pm

Mika Miko - Turkey Sandwich

- Best Coast

UrLord75 View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote UrLord75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 6:36pm
i know it's not quite punk but....
hardcore's close enough...right? lol

UrLord75 View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote UrLord75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 6:39pm
best mid-eightes punk band.....
UrLord75 View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote UrLord75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 6:41pm
second best!
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 3:13pm
i saw this band two nights ago. they put on a great show

- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 6:11pm
a bad a** punk song

- Best Coast

jesse View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 2:41pm
im pretty certain the cure and the pixies fall under indie, definately not punk
with the exception of cokkenballs and urlord the music you people consider "punk" makes me frown

shine on you crazy diamond
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by jesse

im pretty certain the cure and the pixies fall under indie, definately not punk
with the exception of cokkenballs and urlord the music you people consider "punk" makes me frown

Funny you should mention the Pixies. I just watched the documentary about them, loudQUIETloud. It was mildly interesting. I hate the multitude of genres and sub-genres that are used to label music, but The Pixies are not punk.
With that said, Broken Bones and GBH are still two of my faves and are in heavy rotation on my ipod.
There are also a lot of bands that I like that are labeled hardcore, but their sound is not much different from punk. Hardcore is punk without the spiked hair and safety pins.
Some examples:
Agnostic Front (my all time #1 fave)
The Crumbsuckers
The Meatmen
Ludichrist (not the rapper, the hardcore band from NYC)
The Mentors (not your traditional hardcore, but they had some of the funniest lyrics you will ever read)
Murphys Law
Gorilla Biscuits
I could go on and on. I have all of the above in my ipod and on vinyl.
Cheers.
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 3:46pm
Lmao dude indie wasn't even around in the 70s and 80s so there is no way the cure and the pixies are considered indie. The cure is considered post-punk and even though the pixies were one of the first alternative rock bands (along with R.E.M.) some of their songs were influenced by punk music resulting in punk. Not sure what you consider "punk" but I have a feeling you think punk should sound a specific way. Look up television, bad brains, no age, and the dictators. All 4 punk bands have completely different styles
- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 3:54pm
And murphy's law is considered punk.. I hope you know about hardcore punk lol. Besides, I don't like murphy's law but my buddies bad has played with them a few times and they call it gutter punk what ever thehell that is
- Best Coast

Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 3:57pm
wtf Avril Lavergne, Pink punk??? They might have the punk attitude but yea NOT punk. True brit punk founders Sex Pistols, Clash, Damned, The Jam and my hometown band The Stranglers set the scene with making it have mass appeal so too did the Buzzc***s and a few lesser known bands (Lurkers, X- Ray Spex, Skids, Sham 69, Rezillos).
Blondie, Boomtown Rats, Ian Dury And the Blockheads, Talking Heads and XTC were around at the time and happy to be labelled punk but they weren't - new wave, pop whatever but not punk. great bands that came out of punk were The Cure, Human League, Undertones and Joy Division and I would say U2 also. You need to listen to the lyrics Punk was social commentary - anarchy, revolutionary anti-norm NOT hanging on the telephone or psycho killer. Most punk bands were indie bands - as in under independent record labels thats where the phrase comes from. Now it describes a genre of music but indi bands were used to depict independent bands as in not signed to a major record company. Lots of indi record labels became quite big - Virgin, Sire, Ensign and Stiff were all indi labels.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 4:02pm
This song is what made The Cure famous -
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 4:17pm
Tuna, you make some good and interesting points. Some of them further my belief that genre-labels are a waste of time. Realistically, is there a major sound difference between hardcore/punk/hardcore-punk? I don't think there is.
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by TuNA FISh

Lmao dude indie wasn't even around in the 70s and 80s so there is no way the cure and the pixies are considered indie. The cure is considered post-punk and even though the pixies were one of the first alternative rock bands (along with R.E.M.) some of their songs were influenced by punk music resulting in punk. Not sure what you consider "punk" but I have a feeling you think punk should sound a specific way. Look up television, bad brains, no age, and the dictators. All 4 punk bands have completely different styles
I won't argue what is and what isn't post-punk, as I have no idea what post-punk is. I just always considered the Cure to be emo.
In regards to indie, I think you are both right, but arguing for different contexts of the word. In my experience, the term "Indie" referred to bands signed to independent labels. Indie-rock came about in the mid-late 80's because there was a heavy influx of alt-rock bands that got big, even though they were recording records on indie lables.
I know I sound like a broken record (pun intended), but this is why I don't like the finite labeling of bands. Case in point: Black Sabbath. Some say they were the first Heavy Metal band. How could that be if the term Heavy Metal wasn't coined in regards to music until the late 70's?  
jesse View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 4:46pm

ok than i wouldnt know what those 2 specific bands are classified as, but its not punk.  dont talk to me about punk having many different sounds i know this punk probably has the most offshoots of any genre chaos anarcho crust even grindcore was born from punk but the list goes on and on. its the lyrics man, thats what makes real punk is the message it puts out imo. the misfits are the most posted band i recall seeing and they and mostly sing about murder. thats not punk. i guess its because i myself grew up with 80s eu anarcho-peace punk im very opinionated on the subject of what makes a punk band and you have every right to get angry when i say your music youv been posting has no place here its just different points of view. not trying to offend people only wishing they listened to better bands

jesse View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 4:53pm
better bands imo lol dnt get your panties ina twist over that statement...
btw tuna do you like fish sticks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>