FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

I need some work ;)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some work ;)
    Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Danjel8

UT3 is dead... The game is great, sometimes outstanding but its so dead its unbelievable.

My whole reference (which several of you have totally missed) was that if WOPR wanted to do something fun and that 'he' not you Drokun or Potorikan then it 'might' be a possibility to work on another site that could give him better returns (as he is out of work, this makes sense to me).

I wasn't looking for a ut3 v mw2 debate, quite honestly I don't need to debate the 100 man community to the 300,000 online at anytime community.

Anyway WOPR hope you read this and try to pick out the positive action points in here. Hope it helps.

But if he works on making this site centered less on UT3 and more on other games such as your CoD: MW2, would it or would it not possibly have better returns and save him money and time as well?  I honestly have no problem with a change like that.  I understand that UT3 is fading faster these days, thanks in part to MW2 and MAG. (when it releases)  Even if I don't really care for either of those "boring war games," I understand that if this site is going to continued to somewhat thrive, it needs to evolve beyond the UT3 age.  There's not a lot of point in keeping this site centered on a dying game. (You say it's dead, but I say it's dying and at an increased rate if that.)
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 12:06pm
I don't mean to pimp another website, but the GOW site has a lot of custom stuff and if they don't have it, a quick note to Demon Slick or Noot would point you towards its location. If we have WOPR's ear for some changes, let's make it something new. Of course, I have no good ideas right now. :(
WOPR, I sometimes have trouble posting. I either clock for about 20 seconds or I get a 505 Server error. Would this be remedied by archiving some of the older posts?
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by COKKENBALLS

I don't mean to pimp another website, but the GOW site has a lot of custom stuff and if they don't have it, a quick note to Demon Slick or Noot would point you towards its location. If we have WOPR's ear for some changes, let's make it something new. Of course, I have no good ideas right now. :(
WOPR, I sometimes have trouble posting. I either clock for about 20 seconds or I get a 505 Server error. Would this be remedied by archiving some of the older posts?

I'll second this... I often get this problem.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by SilverJ-17

UT3 is dead... The game is great, sometimes outstanding but its so dead its unbelievable.

My whole reference (which several of you have totally missed) was that if WOPR wanted to do something fun and that 'he' not you Drokun or Potorikan then it 'might' be a possibility to work on another site that could give him better returns (as he is out of work, this makes sense to me).

I wasn't looking for a ut3 v mw2 debate, quite honestly I don't need to debate the 100 man community to the 300,000 online at anytime community.

Anyway WOPR hope you read this and try to pick out the positive action points in here. Hope it helps.

But if he works on making this site centered less on UT3 and more on other games such as your CoD: MW2, would it or would it not possibly have better returns and save him money and time as well?  I honestly have no problem with a change like that.  I understand that UT3 is fading faster these days, thanks in part to MW2 and MAG. (when it releases)  Even if I don't really care for either of those "boring war games," I understand that if this site is going to continued to somewhat thrive, it needs to evolve beyond the UT3 age.  There's not a lot of point in keeping this site centered on a dying game. (You say it's dead, but I say it's dying and at an increased rate if that.)

You make a good point. UT3 will always have its die hard fans... you know most games will always have people that stick with it for a long time.

Its understandable that MW2 and MAG will take some players away... but I think that iAMgaming would be better off caring about gaming and not just ut3 so working on a side project and really pushing it would/could be great for the site. 

I'm not saying lets attract every d1ckhead onto here just coz they play this or that game... I just think it would be cool if we could say to someone like this Scottish guy (who us Fu K's were playing with last night), sign up to iAMgaming coz it has a really great MW2 section with tips and map layouts etc.
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 3:01pm
Holy cow this thread actually got some activity lol!  I watched it for a few days and I didn't get much of a response so I hadn't looked at it for a while lol!  I'll go back through and read what everyone had to say and see if I can 't come up with a list and maybe discuss some of the points further so I'm sure I understand what exactly you guys are asking for.

Yeah I know what you mean about the site sometimes getting laggy or even refusing to load.  I've been watching it for a while and I'm starting to think that godaddy has issues with their SQL server.  I can certainly go and clean up some of the older threads that don't have much to offer and see if that helps but even if it did that still means they have a database issue because we should be able to have millions and millions of rows in a single table without having issues like this.

The other thing is I don't always know how often it happens for you guys so maybe I'll make a little section about forum technical issues so people can post when that happens so I get an idea of how bad this issue is....then I can be going to godaddy and complaining and if they still don;t fix it then I'll just look for a new hosting company that has better performance.
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
CKC_TRIPHOP View Drop Down
Team CKC
Team CKC
goof

Post Options Post Options   Quote CKC_TRIPHOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 3:21pm

Originally posted by HottChick

I think you should redo the whole site. Make it more Iamgaming, not so UT3 based. Attract gamers from several different games. Keep all the best threads and diversify with new ones. Multi game mutli platform. Maybe throw in an old skool thread for those still playing old systems.

EDIT: Clans are playing more than UT3.

Amen, good idea!! We already have a positive base to start from why not get more people on here!

i agree this might be better to help our clans diversify into other games as well!!! as ckc wants to play in other games and the networking might do us good!
[/url]
CKC_TRIPHOP View Drop Down
Team CKC
Team CKC
goof

Post Options Post Options   Quote CKC_TRIPHOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by WOPR-1

Holy cow this thread actually got some activity lol!  I watched it for a few days and I didn't get much of a response so I hadn't looked at it for a while lol!  I'll go back through and read what everyone had to say and see if I can 't come up with a list and maybe discuss some of the points further so I'm sure I understand what exactly you guys are asking for.

Yeah I know what you mean about the site sometimes getting laggy or even refusing to load.  I've been watching it for a while and I'm starting to think that godaddy has issues with their SQL server.  I can certainly go and clean up some of the older threads that don't have much to offer and see if that helps but even if it did that still means they have a database issue because we should be able to have millions and millions of rows in a single table without having issues like this.

The other thing is I don't always know how often it happens for you guys so maybe I'll make a little section about forum technical issues so people can post when that happens so I get an idea of how bad this issue is....then I can be going to godaddy and complaining and if they still don;t fix it then I'll just look for a new hosting company that has better performance.

all in all the site seems to run well but for some reason ckc_pamkitten can't get her signature to post any longer when her code is the exact same as mine!! so we're stumped on that one. and lagging during posts or getting an error even though it posts does happen alot
[/url]
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 5:12pm
So I went back and read through this and honestly I really like the ideas here.  A lot of this stuff were things that had been in the back of my mind for a while but I never really sat down and thought about what to do about it so this was good stuff to hear and helped put a direction on the feeling.

So I am going to be doing some condensing of certain sections together (no more PC/360/ps3 separation for example) and removing some dead weight(like foot mode and vehicle sections for example).  I will also be adding sections for some of the new games like MAG and MW2.  I also liked the old school games, game reviews and debate section ideas as well I just have to think about the layout.

I don't want any of the die hard UT3 people (which I am still one of believe it or not) to think this is going to be the downward spiral of UT3 on this site because it won't be...I look at this as a combination of streamlining and making an attempt to expand our reach into other games.  The dead weight removal and consolidation needed to happen anyway and is really unrelated to adding more game sections so don't look at it like a negative thing for UT3...hell having some new blood around here may just make some people that have never played UT3 want to give it a try.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback it was very useful.

BTW - I recently get hooked up with a  J.O.B...I don't have a start date yet, but the papers have been signed...so things are looking up! ;)
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
Cruel IntentionZ View Drop Down
Team AA
Team AA
Val and I share Mikey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruel IntentionZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by WOPR-1

BTW - I recently get hooked up with a  J.O.B...I don't have a start date yet, but the papers have been signed...so things are looking up! ;)

yey! congrats WOPR! Clap Smile
Some people are alive simply because it’s against the law to kill them.
SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:02pm
Well, it's good to know that you finally landed yourself another job.  I hope it works out for you.

Originally posted by WOPR

I don't want any of the die hard UT3 people (which I am still one of believe it or not) to think this is going to be the downward spiral of UT3 on this site because it won't be...I look at this as a combination of streamlining and making an attempt to expand our reach into other games.  The dead weight removal and consolidation needed to happen anyway and is really unrelated to adding more game sections so don't look at it like a negative thing for UT3...hell having some new blood around here may just make some people that have never played UT3 want to give it a try.

And you do make a good point I neglected to even mention.  If we take the direct focus off of UT3, we might even end up getting some new blood for UT3 itself.  Even if I doubt we'll be seeing a second golden age for UT3 anytime soon, some new blood might be that is needed to re-energize things in UT3 and at least temporarily boost the player count.

Anyways, by combining, do you mean all making them one general discussion or three seperate general discussion sub-forums under a single UT3 main forum, like how UT3 TDM League is to UT3 on PS3?
warfare View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote warfare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:14pm
Getting rid of the 360 and PC sections for UT3 and combining them with the PS3 section is a good idea...there aren't enough people playing to justify separate forums.  Epic always resisted calls to separate the platforms on their own forums and for good reason.
Oh and congrats to WOPR for finding a job!!!
env_1ner View Drop Down
Team PcX
Team PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote env_1ner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 6:47pm
that is a good idea but not fair for 360 users
warfare View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote warfare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by env_1ner

How would it not be fair to the 360 users by combining ALL of the UT3 threads into one forum?  You would still be able to post whatever you want...just indicate in your thread title that it applies to the 360 crowd.  Go to Epic's official UT3 forum and you will see they don't have the platforms separated.  It's all just one big happy family.Wink
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by warfare

Originally posted by env_1ner

How would it not be fair to the 360 users by combining ALL of the UT3 threads into one forum?  You would still be able to post whatever you want...just indicate in your thread title that it applies to the 360 crowd.  Go to Epic's official UT3 forum and you will see they don't have the platforms separated.  It's all just one big happy family.Wink

Yeah it's not that I'm saying 360 users are going to have to use the PS3 forum....I'm saying there is no platform distinction anymore.  When I'm done it'll no longer a PS3 forum and a 360 forum it'll be a UT3 forum.  There should be no reason why we all can't discuss the same game. When things need to be specific (like a tourney or a call for a PUG) all you have to do is put PS3 or 360 in the title of your thread.
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by SilverJ-17

Well, it's good to know that you finally landed yourself another job.  I hope it works out for you.

Originally posted by WOPR

And you do make a good point I neglected to even mention.  If we take the direct focus off of UT3, we might even end up getting some new blood for UT3 itself.  Even if I doubt we'll be seeing a second golden age for UT3 anytime soon, some new blood might be that is needed to re-energize things in UT3 and at least temporarily boost the player count.

Anyways, by combining, do you mean all making them one general discussion or three seperate general discussion sub-forums under a single UT3 main forum, like how UT3 TDM League is to UT3 on PS3?

Good question....not sure.  I guess there could be 3 separate subforums...I'll think about it and try it out when I get to work on it later on tonight.  We can always change it if we think one way is better than the other so it's not like it's set in stone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123