FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Team iAM
Team iAM
Zellraiser

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Zellot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Books
    Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by HanFei

Originally posted by Zellot

Daybreak by Nietzsche not all of it , just some of it
 Meditations of First Philosophy by Descartes
 Leviathan and De Cive by Thomas Hobbs
 Crito by Plato
 The Discourses by Rousseau
Dantes Inferno
Although I've only read the leviathan, we've discussed the other authors.  +10 respect for Zellot. haha
dude my minor use to be philosophy until realise that most of my cla**es were like a f***ing book club and i was paying some teacher to tell me what book to buy and read when i can read any philosophy book i want and save like thousand of dollars and analyse the **** myself
Deths Right Hand Stalks Me
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 3:16pm

Crito by Plato
Dantes Inferno

A couple of years ago i tried getting into philosophy so I bought and read two Friedrich Nietzsche books. 
Beyond Good and Evil and Thus Spoke Zarathustra 

The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Fluffy Fluffington

...Han Im surprised you of all people don't heed his warning. Or Perhaps you disagree wih his most central Thesis.
Since we cover the book for ~ two week in PHI, you definatly know more than I.  Are you talking about his warning of "sovereign" taking action without a social contract?   I'm not quite sure...  I agreed with the vast majority of what we read in the cla**. 
SRC_ROLLTIDE View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:22pm
i am not a big reader (damn ADD) but my favorite book is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
AKA: RollTideAlabama, Rage-of-ROLLTIDE, Fear-of-ROLLTIDE
SRC_ROLLTIDE View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote SRC_ROLLTIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:24pm

Crito by Plato
Dantes Inferno

Oh God, looks too much like my Philosophy exam I just took today Dead
No pension to retire <_<
"They've got a name for the winners in the world...they call Alabama the Crimson Tide."-Steely Dan
AKA: RollTideAlabama, Rage-of-ROLLTIDE, Fear-of-ROLLTIDE
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 5:31pm
has anyone read The Tommyknockers by Stephen King? it's a really good science fiction novel. 
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

J_Rivers View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Shaft Master

Post Options Post Options   Quote J_Rivers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 9:08pm
A list of books that I definitely enjoy:

The Handy Space Answer Book by Phillis Engelbert & Diane L. Dupuis
The Mothman Prophecies by John A. Keel
The Complete Guide To Mysterious Beings by John A. Keel
Cosmic Voyage by Courtney Brown, PH.D
Cosmic Explorers by Courtney Brown, PH.D
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
The Davinci Code by Dan Brown
Wise Guy: Life in a Mafia Family by Nicholas Pileggi
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
The Urantia Book
GoDead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoDead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 9:13pm
The Catcher in the Rye Clap
...it's really the only book that's kept my interest from start to finish.

Only 366 days til yesterday!
QwEsT View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote QwEsT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 9:17pm
Crispin: The Cross Of Lead by Avi
its interesting & full of surprises
PSN: qwest4victory    A-R_l2eQwEsT
XBL: ViTuHMiN C
Dr4g0v View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil
Stinger Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr4g0v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 8:03am
I read many books... i like Rimbaud,Voltaire,Maupassant,Christie...
valjohn View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
No hearts for anyone!

Post Options Post Options   Quote valjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by DEVIL_Dragov

I read many books... i like Rimbaud,Voltaire,Maupassant,Christie...

Big smile POSEUR !!!!!!!!!! Big smile
(frimeur en français Tongue)

COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 3:10pm
*Driven To Distraction : Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood by Dr Richard Hallowell and Dr John Ratey (I have ADHD)
*Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig -(Great philosophy book for the non-philisophical mind)
*Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know -Dr. Meg Meeker (Recommend for ANY father of a daughter)
*On the Road - Jack Kerouac (A classic. If you have not read this, you have not read anything)
CarloThunder View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote CarloThunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 8:42pm
My favourite books include:

The darktower series - read the first two and currently reading the third.
The Shining - what suprised me here is that the book and the film are very different like the ending and other things.

Of Mice and men is another fav of mine as well.

And i liked the goosebumps series and several Roald Dahl books like Charlie and the chocolate factory, the great glass elevator, james and the giant peach from when i was a kid. Smile
all roun nice guy lol.
Cruel IntentionZ View Drop Down
Team AA
Team AA
Val and I share Mikey

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruel IntentionZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by CarloThunder

And i liked the goosebumps series and several Roald Dahl books like Charlie and the chocolate factory, the great glass elevator, james and the giant peach from when i was a kid. Smile

haha, i loved those books then i was about 8.

fave book EVER -

the analyst - john katzenbach

oh and to make myself seem intellectual i once bought Sartre's Being and Nothingness... I now use it as a doorstop (anyone who's been unfortunate enough to see it will know why Wink)
Some people are alive simply because it’s against the law to kill them.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:21am
Just finished "Checklist Manifesto" and "Three Cups of Tea," covering education in rural Pakistan.  Now, I'm onto Buffet's other biography. XD

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 10:59am
Originally posted by COKKENBALLS

*Driven To Distraction : Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood by Dr Richard Hallowell and Dr John Ratey (I have ADHD)
*Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig -(Great philosophy book for the non-philisophical mind)
*Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know -Dr. Meg Meeker (Recommend for ANY father of a daughter)
*On the Road - Jack Kerouac (A classic. If you have not read this, you have not read anything)

What motorcycle should a beginner use?
Dr4g0v View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil
Stinger Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr4g0v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:10am
I've read Farenheit451. This is a very nice book.
Archangel_Fate View Drop Down
Team Archangels
Team Archangels

Post Options Post Options   Quote Archangel_Fate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:27pm
some of mine are

The swordmage by Richard Baker
The dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore
Paths of Darkness by R.A. Salvatore
Si Fi for me fiction or none also
I'm writting a story myself. The main character being based of my user name Archangel Fate but i call it Fate

Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:57pm

Funny Han, funny.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:22pm

Funny Han, funny.

In all seriousness, what does the community know about motorcycles?  Last evening, I was trying to learn more.

Currently, I like the Kawasaki Eliminator 125 for it's fuel efficiency, price, and style.
http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=7&id=369

Since my last book post, I've read the following:

Cloudy_Serendipity View Drop Down
Team PcX
Team PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cloudy_Serendipity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 7:35pm
My all time Favourites are:

Imajica - Clive Barker
Cabal - Clive Barker
The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King
LOTR - JRR Tolkien

There are lots of books I like a hell of a lot but not to the extent where I will read and reread them until the pages fall out.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream

Map Hosting: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6luhe8b1pj52y/Cloudy's%20Files
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:25pm

Funny Han, funny.

In all seriousness, what does the community know about motorcycles?  Last evening, I was trying to learn more.

Currently, I like the Kawasaki Eliminator 125 for it's fuel efficiency, price, and style.
http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=7&id=369

Since my last book post, I've read the following:

I know a thing or two about bikes. I have posted pictures of my HD lowrider that I bought as a basket case. I am currently building a 1969 Norton 750 Commando (I love early Brit bikes). I have owned many bikes. Everything from a Honda Express moped to Bultacos and even a ZX7. Lately, I favor dual sport bikes for their menueverability, decent power and fuel efficiency. I am very familiar with the Eliminator, as I owned an 85 Eliminator 900. It appears that you are going towards the 125 because of its fuel economy and that is great. However, even more powerful bikes get great mileage. Which brings me to my point. . . Don't buy a bike that is so small in terms of CC's. It is my experience that underpowered bikes can be liability (dangerous) when you are in traffic. There aren't as many scooters/small motorcycles on the roads here in the USA as there is in other countries. Therefore, when impatient drivers come upon them, they do everything they can to get around them, often creating a dangerous situation for the rider. It's like when you are behind an 18 wheeler getting on the expressway. You can't wait to get around it and blast by it the first chance you get. It's the same thing with smaller bikes. The difference being you do not have 50,000lbs of steel around you to protect you like a big rig does. See if you can find something with a similar seat height/riding position that has a little more power. You will still see great fuel economy and the power will be there when you need it.
Have you ridden before? Do you have some friends that could teach you? Whatever you get, be safe.
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by SRC_ROLLTIDE

i am not a big reader (damn ADD) but my favorite book is Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
I love when people claim ADD the play a video game for 3 hours...
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by SP61gTSupra

Originally posted by SRC_ROLLTIDE

I love when people claim ADD the play a video game for 3 hours...
I have ADHD. The "H" is for hyperactive. I take adderall for it. Basically, it helps me with impulse control. Since I started taking it, I haven't gotten out of my truck and punched anybody in the face at a traffic light. Big smile
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:55pm

Have you ridden before? Do you have some friends that could teach you? Whatever you get, be safe.

No.  At least, my car is manual... but it's still really diff on a bike.

There's a guy in my calc class that has one, but I don't want to learn how to ride in a city of ~300k.  Maybe, I'll try it over the summer in our rural town.  Our neighbors have a ~50cc dirt bike.

I briefly thought about the larger Ninja 250R, but feel it is too aggressively styled for me. idk
http://kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=6&id=431

Was getting the license difficult?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>