FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Laptop issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laptop issues
    Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:47pm

since i'm pretty pissed off right now, i'm going to attempt to explain this.

this morning i opened up my Dell XPS to find the screen all pixelated.  after i logged in back into my PC, it automatically reverted back to normal.  so i thought nothing of it.  my antivirus requested a restart and did it.  but now, my entire screen is completely black.  no lights, no flickering.  NOTHING.  it still logged in because i heard the vista jingle.  i wanted to test something so i removed my HDMI cable from my PS3, which is still plugged into my flat screen, and plugged it into the port on my PC.  the TV displayed my laptop screen but my XPS still remained blank. i tried to open up 2 screens, but window 2 so shaded over and will not show anything (window 2 being my XPS).  pretty much my XPS laptop is now a desktop.

obviously this must an internal error correct? 

what are my options?
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
PcX_Potorikan View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 7:31pm
I had a similar issue with my mac pb where the age eventually got to it and the issue was the very cable that transmitted the graphics to the monitor (which was housed in the hinge) was no connecting properly.  heat affects it now so most of the time it works fine but other times you have to wait and it just goes away. 

might not be the same issue but if it is it'll cost you a good 400 or so to fix it.  the flat screen and the actual cpu portion of your laptop is probably fine but the wiring in between may be damaged somehow. are you still covered? 
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by PcX_Potorikan

I had a similar issue with my mac pb where the age eventually got to it and the issue was the very cable that transmitted the graphics to the monitor (which was housed in the hinge) was no connecting properly.  heat affects it now so most of the time it works fine but other times you have to wait and it just goes away. 

might not be the same issue but if it is it'll cost you a good 400 or so to fix it.  the flat screen and the actual cpu portion of your laptop is probably fine but the wiring in between may be damaged somehow. are you still covered? 

no i'm no longer covered.  my PC is 3 years old and about 4 months ago the disk drive stopped reading disks as well.  if its going to cost me $400 plus, i might as well buy a new PC.  great...

time to start looking....
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 7:50pm
u should consider a mac.  I've rarely had issues like the one I had.  in fact that laptop is still going strong and it's 7 years old!  my current one is a mac and a year into it not a single issue yet.  my experience with Macs post OSX have been excellent.  of course it all depends what ur hoping to do with it of course.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:50pm

u should consider a mac.  I've rarely had issues like the one I had.  in fact that laptop is still going strong and it's 7 years old!  my current one is a mac and a year into it not a single issue yet.  my experience with Macs post OSX have been excellent.  of course it all depends what ur hoping to do with it of course.

macs and i don't work out too well.  i personally don't like them, especially in terms of cost.  i don't want an HP, cause hell, it's an HP.  they don't like the internet.  maybe i'll just build my own...

by the way rican.  i thought i'd share this with you.  does this actually happen?

Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Ether404

macs and i don't work out too well.  i personally don't like them, especially in terms of cost.  i don't want an HP, cause hell, it's an HP.  they don't like the internet.  maybe i'll just build my own...

by the way rican.  i thought i'd share this with you.  does this actually happen?

"Macs and I don't work out too well?" Hmmn ditto PCs methinks. BTW Rican's diagnosis is pretty accurate since system boots up and functions when u use a different display and u will proly pay just as much as u did last time and get x3 the m/c u have currently. Dont waste ur money on repairing either do it yourself (not advisable - its a b1tch to mess with but not much to lose). Part-ex for new maybe but dont expect too much for your xPert PC. Like everything in life u get what u pay for...in this case a very expensive doorstop. Did I eva mention 2 u that ur gamer tag is slang for 'clueless'? That's y u like PCs my friend. Oh yes and I wrote this on my 24" space saving, easy 2 set up, quick 2 boot up, feature packed with oodles of useful and not 2 complicated software on an lean mean OS system. Did I mention its a Mac?
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 6:18pm
[/QUOTE]
"Macs and I don't work out too well?" Hmmn ditto PCs methinks. BTW Rican's diagnosis is pretty accurate since system boots up and functions when u use a different display and u will proly pay just as much as u did last time and get x3 the m/c u have currently. Dont waste ur money on repairing either do it yourself (not advisable - its a b1tch to mess with but not much to lose). Part-ex for new maybe but dont expect too much for your xPert PC. Like everything in life u get what u pay for...in this case a very expensive doorstop. Did I eva mention 2 u that ur gamer tag is slang for 'clueless'? That's y u like PCs my friend. Oh yes and I wrote this on my 24" space saving, easy 2 set up, quick 2 boot up, feature packed with oodles of useful and not 2 complicated software on an lean mean OS system. Did I mention its a Mac?
[/QUOTE]

lol nice.  we Mac Users have to unite against the plague of PC's that infect the rest of the populace.  well written old friend.

But seriously Bunny, if you get a mac you can partition it to boot both Windows and Mac OS at start up so you can have the best of both worlds.  I do however suspect that the more you use the Mac OS the more you will find yourself choosing it over windows more and more.  Once you truly go Mac most wont come back.  Things should just work.  One shouldn't have to expend thought on anything but what ur trying to write or create etc.. not getting it to work the way it supposed to.  Less time fighting ur desktop means more time doing the things you want to do.  besides.. it's actually a pleasure to use a mac once you really get to know it intimately well interface wise.  I can't say I've ever felt like that about any version of windows. 

either way.. you get what you pay for as Trin said.. fork over the bucks and you'll have yourself a great macbook and ur worries are over kiddo.
SickNviciouS View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote SickNviciouS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 8:03pm
Two things... 

1)Your screen is shot.  Buy a new one by googling your model number.  Only 3 companies in the entire world manifacture these screens.  Shouldn't be hard to find.

2)  Before you order a screen and you're already screwed, detach the screen from the laptop body and ensure that the connection didn't simply come loose.  Your RGB out will still work.

If the connection appears to be fine, order the new screen and install it.  It's painless and on your first try (includes shakes, rapid blinking and a little sweat) it will all be over in less than 20 mins.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:40am

Originally posted by SickNviciouS

Two things... 

1)Your screen is shot.  Buy a new one by googling your model number.  Only 3 companies in the entire world manifacture these screens.  Shouldn't be hard to find.

2)  Before you order a screen and you're already screwed, detach the screen from the laptop body and ensure that the connection didn't simply come loose.  Your RGB out will still work.

If the connection appears to be fine, order the new screen and install it.  It's painless and on your first try (includes shakes, rapid blinking and a little sweat) it will all be over in less than 20 mins.

don't listen to AquaPalpatine.. he wants to keep you entrenched in the dark side.. just get a mac lol :P

thanks alot...but i think i'll just purchase a new one for now.  my battery is not holding a charge, which will soon need replacing, my DVD drive died, again replacing. and now the screen.  i'm looking at a $600+ bill here.  i might as well pump out an extra 1100 and buy another.  

and there is no way in hell i'm going to buy a MAC.  i'm sorry...i'm just not part of the MAC community.  you guys are a too....well....crazy for me.   next thing you're going to do is tell me i should buy an iPad.  then i'll seriously lose it and hurt both (Potorikan and Trin)
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 12:47am
Originally posted by HanFei

Netbook?  Asus?

i was looking at an Asus.  they don't seem that bad.  was actually looking at the Asus lamborghini vx5.  i  mean come on...leather hand rests...to DIE for.  

AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote SickNviciouS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 9:00am

I've been using new HPs for a few years now.  I use them outside 24/7 (I work out on the pool deck daily) and only get about 18 months out of each one.  I suspect if I used them indoors like a normal human being, they would last years.

I'm typing this on an HP HDX 18.  has a 1080p screen, blueray player, HDMI out, 8GB memory, battery lasts hours, built in sub-woofer (it's true, and amazing).  Only problem is with an 18.5" screen, it's a fat b**** on steroids for travel.

I run my entire business wityh this thing and do all the graphics, etc. on it.  They're good machines... give them at least a glance or two.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 10:21am

I've been using new HPs for a few years now.  I use them outside 24/7 (I work out on the pool deck daily) and only get about 18 months out of each one.  I suspect if I used them indoors like a normal human being, they would last years.

I'm typing this on an HP HDX 18.  has a 1080p screen, blueray player, HDMI out, 8GB memory, battery lasts hours, built in sub-woofer (it's true, and amazing).  Only problem is with an 18.5" screen, it's a fat b**** on steroids for travel.

I run my entire business wityh this thing and do all the graphics, etc. on it.  They're good machines... give them at least a glance or two.

i just looked at your model for your PC.   that thing is a MONSTER.  bet you're out of breathe when you haul that thing around.  i just spoke to some of my friends about certain details whether to add a dual core or a quad core.  really leaning toward a just having a dual, since most times a quad core is preferred to be used for 3d modeling and development.
VEDA View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote VEDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 6:28pm

since i'm pretty pissed off right now, i'm going to attempt to explain this.

this morning i opened up my Dell XPS to find the screen all pixelated.  after i logged in back into my PC, it automatically reverted back to normal.  so i thought nothing of it.  my antivirus requested a restart and did it.  but now, my entire screen is completely black.  no lights, no flickering.  NOTHING.  it still logged in because i heard the vista jingle.  i wanted to test something so i removed my HDMI cable from my PS3, which is still plugged into my flat screen, and plugged it into the port on my PC.  the TV displayed my laptop screen but my XPS still remained blank. i tried to open up 2 screens, but window 2 so shaded over and will not show anything (window 2 being my XPS).  pretty much my XPS laptop is now a desktop.

what are my options?
What model is the laptop? Is it still under warranty? The M Series of the XPS Laptop has a problem with the nvidia video chips on the motherboard. They are defective. So if you have an M Series XPS you will need a new motherboard.  If its still under warranty hooray! If not, then maybe you could try to get a freebie fix from Dell because this is a known issue with those models.
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote SickNviciouS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 8:04pm

i just looked at your model for your PC.   that thing is a MONSTER.  bet you're out of breathe when you haul that thing around.  i just spoke to some of my friends about certain details whether to add a dual core or a quad core.  really leaning toward a just having a dual, since most times a quad core is preferred to be used for 3d modeling and development.

Dual core is plenty unless you are doing some heavy lifting in CAD or real heavy graphics.  I switch to the desktop I built for that stuff.  That things a a beast for sure.  Also, I had a 17" Quad Core before this one.  It ran super hot and ate the battery fast.  The Quad Cores were designed to be true desktop replacements

I bought a 14" HP with an external DVD drive for use on the boat and flying.  It's so much easier to get around with.  I just tether my phone to it and have 3G and HSPDA (4G)
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010 at 8:07pm
what is your price range?, Asus is good but Toshiba has started to make very cheap and high quality products.

Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 6:23am

Dual core is plenty unless you are doing some heavy lifting in CAD or real heavy graphics.  I switch to the desktop I built for that stuff.  That things a a beast for sure.  Also, I had a 17" Quad Core before this one.  It ran super hot and ate the battery fast.  The Quad Cores were designed to be true desktop replacements

Yea dual core is enough for what you need and I would lean towards Intel, try to stack with at least 4 gig DDR ram and a 500g HDD. I have 2 HP machines and they're great but i find them a little fragile. I am looking at a new m/c and im not put off by HP still but they're not exactly an automatic choice. Asus make great components and should therefore make v.good m/cs but their support will drive you nuts. If u want a notebook/laptop then ignore the frills (trims and furry dice snazz) and concentrate on things the matter to performance and usage especially for a games/work m/c. Screen quality/size, battery life, dedicated sound and graphics cards (maybe 1 gig ram for gamers), Disk drive _ I'm gonna get a Blu Ray RW but its not necessary and it pushes the price up, weight, keyboard - feel and bulid, mousepads are standard but test to see if you like how it feels - compare to others), build quality (plastic - aluminium body, hinged screen), heat. Then after its warranty issues RTB etc. Shop around, do the ground work via the net then take ur friend with u if possible and spend a good time in-store.
I know im a mac freak but I still use PCs all the time too. Macs are the dogz bollox but the boundaries are blurring and PCs not 2nd best in everything now - its user preference. Im using my new magic mouse which costs $69 in USA but £56 in UK (so much for globalisation eh). People think what a waste of money but u need to think where all this technology is heading. The next gen consoles wont b a vast improvement in hardware but im betting that easy response 3D sensor controllers and online gaming facilities are gonna b the evolutionary step we take and I wanna use and understand now. Might even delve into Quake Live to taste some (magic) action.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by yingyangin

what is your price range?, Asus is good but Toshiba has started to make very cheap and high quality products.

i'm look at around 2300 and below.  i know i can get a good for that price range but still unsure.  
MEGA_HOTT View Drop Down
Nooblett

Post Options Post Options   Quote MEGA_HOTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:24pm

<FONT style=": #000000">since i'm pretty pissed off right now, i'm going to attempt to explain this.

what are my options?

You have to do a whole system restore on your laptop OR its windows vista and you need to call microsoft to fix the issue. I've heard that vista operating system has a few problems with it and that could be one. But I had a dell laptop spent a hell of alot of money on it and only had it for a year and the same thing happend with mine. It is def. an internal error and one way I remembered to fix it is to completely restore your system. But then again I could be completely wrong but I'm pretty sure thats what you have to do.
MEGA_HOTT View Drop Down
Nooblett

Post Options Post Options   Quote MEGA_HOTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 12:25pm
Yeah and btw.... I have an HP now... soooo much better than dell :)
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 1:29am
I'm on a 4 year old Toshiba Laptop A85-S1072.  Today, it's frozen up several times, but lasts much longer when the wireless card is flipped off... It's never done this before... any ideas?  

A friend suggested using a pcmia wireless card.
VEDA View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote VEDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 10:30am
What are the specs on your laptop? There are many reasons that a PC freezes. Make sure you scan your pc for any viruses or spyware. If the laptop only freezes when your wireless adapter is active then yes I would try a pcmcia wireless and disable the internal wireless in device manager.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 11:25am
Memory: 1GB SD
Processor: Celeron M 1.4GHz
Video/Graphics Card: Integrated
Sound Card: Integrated
O/S License: Microsoft Windows XP Corporate

Recently during boot-up, BIOS may interrupt, displaying "Resource Conflict - PCI on Motherboard Bus:02  Device:03"
Sometimes the wireless or Ethernet works.  It has frozen without using either...
VEDA View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote VEDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 1:02am
Seem's like your internal wireless adapter is causing a conflict. Remove the adapter and see if the error goes away. Then run this program from here www.malwarebytes.org (free download) to scan and remove spyware and viruses if present.  If removing your internal adapter stops the conflict, then you will need a new internal card or pcmcia wireless adapter to replace it.
 Post Reply Post Reply