Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > Cars, trucks and bikes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Pressure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team KmA
Team KmA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Pressure?
    Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 11:19am
Yesterday, the tires were rotated on my '99 Acura Integra.  Although increasing tire pressure reduces rolling resistance, I don't know how firmly to inflate the tires.  The inside of door recommends 35 in the front and 33 in the back.

Should I increase pressure or leave it at what Honda corp recommends?
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 12:08pm
Def stick with the manufacturers recommendation unless the tire manufacturer offers something different.  There's about a 5 +/- psi window for most tires to perform well within.  Much outside of these parameters and you will begin to experience varying degrees of the pic you included.

For the performance minded, it's better to replace (upgrade) the tires than to attempt fine tuning of the psi.  Given different driving conditions, heat, etc.  this is an almost impossible task.  I tried managing my PSI one Summer with a set of low profile "Z" rated Perelli tires and found I was just wasting my time.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
misfit44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote misfit44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 4:41pm
inside my door it says 35 psi and my tires says 55 psi.
so i put 35 when i first bought my car and my tire pressure monitor keep coming on saying i needed more air i my tires.so i put in 45-50. it has been 2 years of peeling out n going faster than hell and
my tires have still have alot tread and handle like they are still new.
so go in-between what your car and tires say and you should be fine.

that's my 2 cents anyway.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 5:50pm
Although my tires' max is 44, I'll prob raise it to 37/35 - 38/36.

Is the difference in pressure between the wheels to more evenly distribute the weight across the tires?
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 8:10am
I go through tires soo quick, i never check em.
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by HanFei

Although my tires' max is 44, I'll prob raise it to 37/35 - 38/36.

Is the difference in pressure between the wheels to more evenly distribute the weight across the tires?
If you have not changed the size of the tire or wheel from what the car was originally sold with, go with the vehicle manufacturer specs. The manufacturers specifications are based on the weight of the vehicle and the size of the wheels/tires the vehicle is delivered with. It is also based on giving you the maximum amount of fuel efficiency, without compromising traction.

Do NOT inflate your tires based on the marking on the tire. Tires list the max amount of pressure they can withstand under maximum GVW. Over inflation will also decrease the size of the contact patch, resulting in shoddy handling. This statement is qualified by the fact that your door sticker indicates higher pressure for the front. Your engine and transaxle are located in the front, over the front wheels. More weight = higher tire pressure (when discussing wheels/tires of the same diameter).

Do NOT fall for the "nitrogen" horsesh1t either. It's just another money grab.

When you check your tire pressure, check them under the same conditions you will be driving under. If you garage your vehicle, check your tires outside. You will maintain a more accurate pressure that way.
Good luck HanFei.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2010 at 2:42pm
Thanks man! My friend's BMW has Nitrogen; I've always been suspect. ha
 Post Reply Post Reply