Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What do you need for.. Fragvids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you need for.. Fragvids
    Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:17pm
Now I'm no pr0 editor or anything, but I just figured it'd be nifty to have a single topic to redirect people with questions about fragvids to. So here's my 2 cents.

Recording Device
In order to record you'll have to get yourself an additional device. Here's some options.
  • One thing you could do is get a camera you still have at home, but in order to get decent quality it'll have to be a pretty good camera and the sound's probably not going to be that amazing. Usually camera recorded gameplay looks **** though, lol
  • A lot of people use a Dazzle(www.dazzle.com probably? lol). This is a capture card that'll do the trick, but it requires the person recording to play in SD, and it will record in SD. There are also other capture cards out there, that work pretty similar. I think you record to your PC though, so you'll have to have it fairly close to your Ps3 probably. I'm too lazy to really look into it. The quality's pretty good.
  • Personally I use a HAVA Platinum HD (www.myhava.com). It allows me to record in pretty good quality while playing in HD. Although at first it was a bit ch to setup, it works like a charm now :P You also need your PC close to your Ps3 for this one. Well, that's unless you get one of the more expensive models, that can record to an external hard drive.
  • There's loads of other options, some real expensive ones let you record real HD quality.
So at first, you'll have to get something to record footage with, make sure you read into the product before you get it, to make sure you can set it up etc.

Recording Footage
The way I do it, is that I just record every game played - then when I nail a nice shot, I kind of just stop playing midgame, stop the recording and restart it :P - this is so that I won't have to watch through hours and hours of footage again just for a that.
Don't rush getting footage. Unless you just want to mess around, or if it's your first video you should take your time getting footage in. And I don't mean a few days, but I take months just recording footage. If I get loads of nice shots, I get to pick from the best, which should only add to my video right?
For every shot I get I make about a 15 second clip, all time of running up to the shot, the actual frag, and a few seconds afterwards. Give yourself enough seconds space, so taht during the editing of the actual vid you can still work with it however you like. It's handy if you edit out these frags periodically, instead of having to look through and edit out footage of months at once. It gets boring.

Here's a short example of what I mean by editing out clips

Only becuase I never really planned to use that frag for anything else I didn't put any time after the frag - I wouldn't be able to use a smooth fade out now for example.

Just save the footage in a handy, organised place on your pc. It'd be a pain in the ar se if the footage would be spread out all around your pc right? It's possible to name the frags something if it helps you, such as 'headshotsent.wmv'. I just name all my frags 'Frag1.wmv' etc though :P So I can see how many I have.

Editing Programs
In order to edit your work you need some programs (besides whatever program your recording device might need)
  • Unless you have Windows 7, your pc will have Windows Movie Maker included. This is a very simple, basic program to work with. It's not very accurate though, the effects aren't that spectacular either and it's quite generally pretty bad imo, lol. It's fine for learning and practicing though. It has basically everything you need though, just very basic.
  • Sony Vegas is a pretty popular program, it's similar to WMM (Windows Movie Maker), but more accurate. I don't really know what you can do with it because I never really bothered enough with it though.
  • Adobe Premiere (Elements) is the program I use - It is similar to the last 2 programs. It gives you a lot of effects and tools to work with. Just look at my last video to see some examples of what you can do with it.
  • Adobe After Effects is another renowned program, it adds a whole new level of effects to your repetoire - it will definitely take time to master though. I haven't really practiced enough yet, but I did do the basic lessons on this website though: http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/ . Check out the video on the main page for an example of what after effects can do - wouldn't that be nice for a fragvid intro?
Music
You have to think of some music to go with your frags now. You can try to find something that fits the game (UT vids often have techno-ish soundtracks, by Infected Mushroom for example), but that can depend per person. I guess in the end, you will have to pick something you like though.
You should pick something you can snyc to (see later on). Also, you can try to express something with the music, or try to say something (for example: I'm one of a kind).
Myself I always try to find music that doesn't really have a lot of lyrics.

If there is interest I could upload some other voice files as well (headshot, monster kill! etc)

Syncing
For a fragvid, it's important to sync the clips to the music. If you watch this, maybe you'll see what I mean:

The editor (Morph) tried to make the clips fit the music.
Frags themselves happen at the same time as the beats, to try and amplify the impact of the shot I guess. A video can have awesome shots but still seem lame if you pick bad music and edit poorly.
I don't really know how to explain it, but you should let the shots happen at the beats. You can do this by editing the clip you're editing in, by for example cutting off the start off the clip until it fits, or let that bit overlap the last clip, and have it blend. You just have to mess around I guess until it fits. That's why I said earlier to pick a song you can feel you could properly edit to.

Well if I'm not clear, or for any hints in general you should just look at other fragvids to see what they did - and not just for UT, for any game; a fragvid is a fragvid.
Here's a 20 minute work that I for one really like, it's made for Quake 3:
http://pldx.com/movie/41/Get_Quaked_3/

There's loads of fragvideos on that site in HD quality. It's nice :P
There's plenty of games as well - as you look around you can find older UT installments or Quake games as well, and see what they did, as they're similar gamse you might enjoy watching those videos more :P

Well, for now I'm too lazy to add more to this. I hope it's helpfull to someone. That is, if anyone even bothers reading this all :P
The Keyboard Samurai View Drop Down
Please....Listen to me whine

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Keyboard Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 9:57pm
i thought i would add something productive to this :

download Rypel cam 305 ... if anyone needs help with the functions theres a html attached - and i have some knowledge of it

certain things help like - make sure your framerate is set to at least the monitor refresh rate ,,, you need an ok pc but if your running ut3 it should suffice...

i have trouble making the campath turn invisibbe -- see 'drawdetail' in the rypelcalm.ini file -- if anyone solves this let me know
if you use rypel cam please message me tips -- thanx

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Keyboard Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 10:01pm
if anyone uses ps3 - download the GOW spectator mod - its good stuff...
you can use a high quality camera or a dvd recorder

i personally use both and a dazzle - dazzle is the best -- you have to play in av multi output - but headshots are so much more rewarding - plus the footage goes straigh to pc in small files - Rypel cam leaves notoriously large files - so u need a good processor to edit - and ram needs to be utilised properly
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 6:47am
rypel cam/framerate being PC-only affairs
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:01am
Drokun, which one of the Hava products do you use?

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Keyboard Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:50am

Hava have some good hardware and software capabilities - but i have not used them myself ... looks a lil expensize for  only slight improvements to quality - but the usb functions and the HD aspect are obviously a n advantage you will have to pay for - if you have the money get ut3 on pc or seriously think hard about how much effort u wanna put into your videos

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 6:10pm
i got everything. Just the music part i don't. I posted up a cheap easy lil frag vid. tdm and a lil vctf match. But when i tired to import music i couldn't.
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 1:12pm
Ah, looks like I missed a few posts here.

Originally posted by Fluffy Fluffington

Drokun, which one of the Hava products do you use?

I use the HAVA Platinum HD. Got it a while back when there was some kind of offer on their site when they were newer-ish.
The HD PVR is from some other comany (hauppage i think), and actually records up to 1080i.. unfortunately it's priced more like it as well :P
(like 200$ i think, last time i looked)

Originally posted by The Keyboard Samurai

Hava have some good hardware and software capabilities - but i have not used them myself ... looks a lil expensize forĀ  only slight improvements to quality - but the usb functions and the HD aspect are obviously a n advantage you will have to pay for - if you have the money get ut3 on pc or seriously think hard about how much effort u wanna put into your videos

People tend to play games as long as they do for the people they know, so not everyone would consider switching
As well as the thought of having to decent again on a new system :P

Originally posted by MikeyBrennan

i got everything. Just the music part i don't. I posted up a cheap easy lil frag vid. tdm and a lil vctf match. But when i tired to import music i couldn't.

What program did you use? I'm probably way late here but yeah..
I think importing media went more of less the same for video and audio for movie maker, premiere and vegas :o or even after effects, although someone wouldn't use that to make a whole vid in
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:03pm
great thread for anyone needing info on recording.. and that vid had some very nice kills
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
PROToTyPE View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote PROToTyPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 7:44am
i got PS3,but i dont know how to use the spectator?!
Vicke999

SFX_-PR0ToTyPE

BOS_-ApOCaLyPtA-
 Post Reply Post Reply