FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

MacBook Pro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MacBook Pro
    Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:12pm
Well, I finally did it.  I'm starting the transition from PC to Mac beginning with my primary development machine.

I went from an 18.4" 1080p PC laptop running Windows 7 to a 15" MacBook Pro i7 running OSX.  The new machine also has a high definition no glare screen.  I'll never go back.

I'm running a full copy of OSX and Windows 7 side by side on the same machine using a program called VMWare Fusion.  This is so I can still use some of the higher end development tools needed for my Windows based server.  The software has a cool feature called "Unity", which makes all of the running Windows apps appear to be running seamlessly in OSX.  If I didn't have $$$$ invested in my windows based development and graphics software, I would ditch all of it today.

I could go on and on about how much better this operating system and the hardware it is wrapped in truly is.  From a user, development, programmer standpoint, it's incredible and I can't believe I waited so long.

Out of the box (I never touched a Mac before), it took less than one hour to set up and install...

• Fusion
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64x
  • Office Ultimate
  • Visual Studio
  • Adobe CS3 Masters Collection
  • Apple's Remote Desktop app

I've spent twice that amount of time stripping all the junk installed on a new PC!

The second hour I figured out how to tether my HTC Fuze via BlueTooth for internet sharing, which works flawlessly.  Installed a Motorola BlueTooth stereo headset and tested it with the dvd version of "Avatar".  Just awesome.

So... I think Apple should have a tag line similar to the PS3; "It just does everything... better".

Right now I'm configuring an external BlueRay drive to work via Fusion since Apple doesn't offer any native BlueRay support.  Should be sick-
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:25pm
hey welcome to tha club m8. And "It just does everything... better" slogan is already present, its called the apple icon!
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
PcX_Potorikan View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 9:23pm
awesome J.  to think you weren't that hot about it when I mentioned it two years ago lol, but hey, better late than never.  I couldn't be happier that you've joined the movement that 'thinks dif'.  Personally I've owned:

desktops:
Performa 6220
Performa 6400
PowerMac 6100
iMac BlueBerry
eMac
iMac current generation

Laptops:
Powerbook Duo 230
Powerbook G4 Titanium
Powerbook Aluminum 
and my current lover:

MacBook Pro 2.93 Intel Core Duo, 320 HD@7200, 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 + 9600 GT
what a lot of people fail to realize is that although there's plenty of power in macs these days, the real beauty lies in the user experience, (hence MS's great efforts to plagiarize it as much as possible).  OS X is a highly stable and highly refined OS that keeps getting better and better with each release.  I've had this macbook for a year at least now and haven't had any HW or SW issues.  Not even a crash serious enough to restart it.  

and ur right, out of the box, for most users they're up and running much faster than that.  you had extra stuff to put in but within minutes of booting up I was using my mac and surfing in under 15 minutes if not sooner (this including registration and preferences).

the more u use it J, the more you'll find yourself using the osx environment for pleasure and will resist using windows unless absolutely necessary.  when you configure expose and spaces I'm sure you'll think to yourself... wow that's cool (you'll be saying that a lot for the first six months as you discover all the little thoughtful things that went into the design -- like ur battery indicator on the side of your machine.. u know it's cool.. admit it.  how about the magsafe adapter?  that alone is worth 50 bucks right there.  no more flying lap tops lol.  

If you haven't tried it already, get yourself an ipod/iphone/touch and see how easy it all works.  hook up ur current digicam or HD cam and see how it works right off the bat.  heck.. go buy virtually any printer and if you don't have the driver  already it will download it (sometimes in the background).  I just bought a new printer to go along with my fiancee's new mac book and set it up wirelessly.  it was a freakin cinch.  love how easy it was.  the less time you spend trying to figure things out or wrestling with things the more time you have to do the things you like.  it's like what they're saying about the ipad.  it's not about what it does but HOW it does it.  when people play around with it long enough they will see why ipad will become the defacto standard in portable computing.

the software update is great so you'll always have the lastest SW.  it will tell you when it's available and will download it quickly and painlessly. 

Wait till you use iLife.  once you discover iphoto and itunes in depth you will see and understand why everyone else is trying very hard to duplicate or catch up to what apple has done.  if ur lucky it may auto categorize ur photo collection by event and you'll be surprised just how intuitive it is.  

Enjoy ur new baby J.  She will give you many years of fun and productivy without all the drama.

btw, since mine was just before that update you get to enjoy that new 10 hour battery.  I"m a bit jealous about that lol.  

Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 9:39pm
Yeah man.  I'm loving it.  Although, I'm realizing that I use a ton of keyboard shortcuts along with the mouse to speed production.  I'll have a bit of a learning curve as I learn the new shortcuts.

This thing is sick.  I working on the pool deck and as it gets dark out, the keyboard illuminates and the screen adjusts for the ambient lighting all by itself.  Amazing.

I keep a box of tissues nearby for the tears of joy and unmentionables.

Edit: From a size standpoint, I'm stunned by their ability to have a superior definition with a lower resolution.  I'm sure the 17" with 1080xwhatever would have been nice, but I'm tired of lugging all that machine everywhere.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:03am
Welcome to the Apple family!
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:08pm
Oh yeah baby!  An iMac is in my future as the PCs die off.  At the rate they are going, it won't be too long.
-- Thomas Jefferson
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:18pm
I went to best buy, and play with the iMac and it was amazing!!!!!
The effin monitor was a monster and everything ran so smoothly.  A lil expansive, but im sure it worth it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:19pm
get yourself a magic mouse if u aint got a Mac Book. Its got the intellipad on the top of the surface instead of buttons and its wireless. Great for apps but bad for games...btw did u know u can get UT3, UT and Quake on Mac?
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:44pm
tell me what you think about time machine.  I know you'll think.. why doesn't everyone do it like this??  ur really going to like it
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:36am
I was drooling on the quad core Mac Pro this morning.  Sounds strange, but I almost can't wait for my PC POS to die!

It's pricey, so I'm going to wait for the inevitable then make the jump on the desktop too!
-- Thomas Jefferson
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
PcX

Post Options Post Options   Quote PcX_Potorikan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Aquaknot

I was drooling on the quad core Mac Pro this morning.  Sounds strange, but I almost can't wait for my PC POS to die!

It's pricey, so I'm going to wait for the inevitable then make the jump on the desktop too!

sounds good.  always take the pulse of upcoming products at places like appleinsider.com to ensure you don't by prior to an upcoming release.  I could almost shoot myself for buying my macbook pro weeks before the model with the extended battery came out lol.  
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 1:12pm
While I know our school's Mac Pro, seen above, is dual processor, I am unsure if it has two duals or two quads... It photoshops quickly with easy.
NecroBeestiality View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
Mmmmm Beefy

Post Options Post Options   Quote NecroBeestiality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:15pm
My turntables interface w/ my macbook quite well. I am thrilled with it as well.
House Music All Night Long

"Insted of peaple coming on this website were peaple are b**ing about peaple behind each uthers backs" - QuickRC
 Post Reply Post Reply