FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Best President ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best President ever?
    Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:50pm
we were debating this, in my gov't class. I chose FDR... What do you guys think?
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:10pm
my personal opinion is split between 3.  Abraham Lincoln, FDR and JFK.  each of these presidents remained poised to end a certain conflict.  slavery, WW2, and the Cuban missile crisis.  and each, if the outcome were to be different, would have changed the face of the US forever.  
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:11pm
REAGAN!!!!! He beat the Ruskies and made it possible for the Clinton administration to have a budget surplus.
Prince Big Woody View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Big Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:12pm
George W. Bush
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:13pm
I  had classmates argue that bush was best, I even had some argue clinton was best :o
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:15pm
Obama!   :o
Cuz hes sooo Fly  Approve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
M-Rox View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote M-Rox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:17pm
Not the current one. I say George Bush. Anyone who can puKe on a foreign leaders shoes and recover that takes talent lol.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:22pm
George Sr. had a chance to beat Clinton but sat on his ass. George Jr. was in over his head. Nixon was a good president. He went to China back in the day but got a little too power crazed.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:30pm
Lincoln - Civil War, Slavery
FDR - WW2 & financial recovery
JFK - Civil Rights Act - unfortunately, signed by his replacement the year after he died
Reagan - Cold War, economics
Clinton - Balanced budget

It doesn't matter who built on the past successes of others.  The fact is that they picked up the ball and kept moving forward to get something accomplished.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
RTO_XxPUNISHERxX View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote RTO_XxPUNISHERxX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:48pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8--lrON9yzs here u go
theVIRUSofLIFE69
Fluffy Fluffington View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by BAIN

George Sr. had a chance to beat Clinton but sat on his ass. George Jr. was in over his head. Nixon was a good president. He went to China back in the day but got a little too power crazed.

Nixon started the Environmental Protection Agency the greatest anti-business regulatory agency.

Imposed wage and price controls .... a true believer in markets

Presided over STagflation (economic stagnation and hyper-inflation)

Abused his constitutional powers.

outside of opening up China he was an abject failure, 'bested' only by Carter

I vote Reagan as the greatest modern President, followed by Lincoln as the all time greatest.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Aquaknot

Lincoln - Civil War, Slavery
FDR - WW2 & financial recovery
JFK - Civil Rights Act - unfortunately, signed by his replacement the year after he died
Reagan - Cold War, economics
Clinton - Balanced budget

It doesn't matter who built on the past successes of others.  The fact is that they picked up the ball and kept moving forward to get something accomplished.

Clinton didn't balance the budget it was forced on him by the republican congress voted in during the mid term elections.
TX2k7 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Requiescat In Pace

Post Options Post Options   Quote TX2k7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:05pm
Lincoln did not enter the civil war with the intention of ending slavery. He realised that if he did, he ran the risk of losing hundreds of thousands of supporters/sympathisers to the confederate cause as well as a few other reasons. it wasnt until the war was already in full swing that that changed.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by TX2k7

Lincoln did not enter the civil war with the intention of ending slavery. He realised that if he did, he ran the risk of losing hundreds of thousands of supporters/sympathisers to the confederate cause as well as a few other reasons. it wasnt until the war was already in full swing that that changed.
number one that's hotly debated by historians ... a position championed by radical left wing revisionists.

second, regardless, he still maintained the 'union' and kept the nation from spiltting.
TX2k7 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Requiescat In Pace

Post Options Post Options   Quote TX2k7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:38pm
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it"...this was taken from a letter Lincoln wrote to Horace Greeley on Aug. 22, 1862

but yes he did preserve the Union
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:40pm
Reagan. Without a doubt.

For the record, Presidents don't balance budgets, Congress does. And if my memory serves me correctly, and it always does, the budget was balanced under Newt Gingrich's direction. He literally shut the House down until both parties agreed to the surplus budget.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:53pm

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it"...this was taken from a letter Lincoln wrote to Horace Greeley on Aug. 22, 1862

but yes he did preserve the Union

yeah ive read that quote. Again part of a smear campaign by leftist hostorians to discredit Lincoln.
Gore Vidal wrote an entire book depicting Lincoln as a ruthless bloody dictator.

All miss the Forest for the Trees!

Lincoln was a man. A fallablabe, imperfect man. He was born in a racist country, raised and educated in racist times. And certainly harbored racist views himself.
what was remarkable about Lincoln was how he grew as a man and a leader, especially through his Presidency. What is commonly referred to as 'rising to the occassion'

feeble cherry picked quotes do nothing to diminish his stature.

Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Pinnacle

Reagan. Without a doubt.

For the record, Presidents don't balance budgets, Congress does. And if my memory serves me correctly, and it always does, the budget was balanced under Newt Gingrich's direction. He literally shut the House down until both parties agreed to the surplus budget.
I bet Regan wished he had your memory. We see him as a fortunate president, one who was in office at the right time.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

Originally posted by Pinnacle

Reagan. Without a doubt.

I bet Regan wished he had your memory. We see him as a fortunate president, one who was in office at the right time.

He was in office at the right time, but also had a policy that complimented the time and he absolutely hit it out of the park. Frankly, anyone after Carter would have been a godsend. People think Bush Jr. was bad, but most people from our generation don't remember how god awful Carter was. Also, most people don't remember that Reagan was also a controversial president until he left office. The respect this country has for him is mostly post-presidency. The economy, regardless of what people say, was worse in the early eighties than it is now. After the fall of the wall, things turned quickly, but it was his economic policy that spurred the computer boom. That spurred the stock market and the economy. etc. etc. etc.
TX2k7 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Requiescat In Pace

Post Options Post Options   Quote TX2k7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:01pm
im not tryng to diminish his status or call him a racist, but how can you call something written by Lincoln himself a smear campaign? im just pointing out the fact that he didnt resolve to end slavery until after the war had already started. but i mean its part of history and just because it may not sit well with the image we all have of him today doesn't give us the right to dismiss it as rubbish. like you said, he was a man, imperfect and fallable as we all are. he did what he believed best to keep the Union
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:04pm
Carter was the worst ever, SO FAR.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:08pm

im not tryng to diminish his status or call him a racist, but how can you call something written by Lincoln himself a smear campaign? im just pointing out the fact that he didnt resolve to end slavery until after the war had already started. but i mean its part of history and just because it may not sit well with the image we all have of him today doesn't give us the right to dismiss it as rubbish. like you said, he was a man, imperfect and fallable as we all are. he did what he believed best to keep the Union

What I'm saying is that he may or may not have started the civil war to end slavery, but the abolition of slavery most definetly became a moral imperative for him after the war started.

thats the growth I'm talking about. His early writings reveal someone that in modern times we would brand as a racist. Even in the North most people were racist during the Civil War.
Championing the abolition of slavery would have gained him no fans nor would it have further justified the war, even in the North. Yet he did it anyway.

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:12pm
How about President Cleveland? They named a candy bar after his daughter, Baby Ruth.
Team Deep
Team Deep
The Fluffer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Fluffington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by BAIN

How about President Cleveland? They named a candy bar after his daughter, Baby Ruth.

I was always partial to Hoover and Garfield
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:24pm
What about Jefferson? The Louisiana Purchase was monumental. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>