| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > Sports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Heavyweight Boxer Ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who is your favorite or think is the best Heavyweight boxer ever?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [43.33%]
2 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [30.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Heavyweight Boxer Ever?
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Do_Or_Die_420

Tyson in his prime would Destroy just about anybody you put infront of him..
ppl like Berbick, Spinks and Tyrell Biggs? They hardly measure up to Foreman, Frazier and Holmes. Tyson was a sweet fighter dont get me wrong. Great hand speed and agility, he had a tight defence that allowed him to get up close and was able to deliver brutal hooks and upper cuts with great precision. He was fearless, hit him and he grinned a real psycho, old skool style dress and mentality that seem to beat opponents before he threw a punch - he was 'truly awesome'. But he fought in an era when the division was in decline.
Ali might have said that about Tyson but believe me if they ever met he would have said the opposite. His words would have beaten Tyson, who wasn't equipped to handle a smart boxer. His talent, style and adaptability in the ring (something Tyson never had, he was well drilled) makes him a clear winner imo. Come on, most ppl only remember James Buster Douglas and Holyfield as fighters on Tysons record. A fight with a heavyweight of true quality, like Ridd*** Bowe would have stretched him.
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Supreme_Venom View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

ppl like Berbick, Spinks and Tyrell Biggs? They hardly measure up to Foreman, Frazier and Holmes. Tyson was a sweet fighter dont get me wrong. Great hand speed and agility, he had a tight defence that allowed him to get up close and was able to deliver brutal hooks and upper cuts with great precision. He was fearless, hit him and he grinned a real psycho, old skool style dress and mentality that seem to beat opponents before he threw a punch - he was 'truly awesome'. But he fought in an era when the division was in decline.
Ali might have said that about Tyson but believe me if they ever met he would have said the opposite. His words would have beaten Tyson, who wasn't equipped to handle a smart boxer. His talent, style and adaptability in the ring (something Tyson never had, he was well drilled) makes him a clear winner imo. Come on, most ppl only remember James Buster Douglas and Holyfield as fighters on Tysons record. A fight with a heavyweight of true quality, like Ridd*** Bowe would have stretched him.

You should do politics or something.. You would get my vote!

And yah about that interview.. they were just messing around.. they were both being modest.

I have to say it's a shame tho about tyson, because I'm a big fan of him as well. After his trainer died, things went bad for him, you could clearly see the lust, the "eye of the tiger" if you will, drained from him.

If you watch Ali the movie or When We Were Kings, you understand why Ali is the greatest.
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Supreme_Venom

You should do politics or something.. You would get my vote!

And yah about that interview.. they were just messing around.. they were both being modest.

I have to say it's a shame tho about tyson, because I'm a big fan of him as well. After his trainer died, things went bad for him, you could clearly see the lust, the "eye of the tiger" if you will, drained from him.

If you watch Ali the movie or When We Were Kings, you understand why Ali is the greatest.
Lol...tnx mate, I'm very political but no radical in real life 2. I am a fan of Tyson too, no denying Iron Mike's pure boxing talents. Cus D'amato (chk spelling) did a lot for him and when he died Tyson couldn't be controlled BUT he was naive and many people manipulated him. He was fearless and had a raw aggression that other fighters could smell. Tyson I suspect would have fought for nothing but glory and violence. The career fighters he met were in it for money mainly. 
If you watch Ali's fights and analyse his career post 60s u see hungry men like Tyson - generally hard cases. Below these guys were seasoned vets like Ernie Shavers, a young Larry Holmes and Leon Spinks. Tyson wouldnt have been out of his depth with them but would he beat Holmes or Foreman? I doubt it. great but limited, easily frustrated, ill-disciplined thats Tyson. Ali? say what u like but he was smart, courageous, adaptable and immensely talented - he always had a plan.
Im glad 2 see so many boxing fans here tho. You should do Manny vs Mayweather next! Or greatest middle weight of all - but dont ask me Confused
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 3:33pm
lol Ali is overrated... Tyson would have knocked him out quick. you can't compare boxers who boxed over 40 years ago to Tyson... plus, i don't see any boxers being as "hungry" as Tyson.
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

OneMan1Army View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Rambo Style

Post Options Post Options   Quote OneMan1Army Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 3:35pm
What!!! No Larry Holmes, Lennox Lewis and Riddi c k Bowe!? These three boxers deserve to be in that poll.

As for the best Heavyweight fighter of all-time, it hard to choose. Muhammad Ali had speed & ring smart. He also fought very competitive foes in his career (Sonny Liston, Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, etc). Rocky Marciano was the first Heavyweight fighter ever to go 49 -0, yet his opponents wasn't a real challenge. Mike Tyson was the youngest Heavyweight fighter to earn a title belt at age 20 due to knocking his opponents out in round 1 - 4. His speed, agility & power was like no other. If you look at his KO's percentage, he have the best one (44 out of 50 KO's). Also, he had good opponents (the only one I can think of is Holyfield). Joe Louis was is the only fighter (so far) to defend 25 title fights. The man work very hard and took boxing real serious.

From my opinion, it's either Mike Tyson or Joe Louis. Im sorry but Muhammad Ali isn't the Greatest of All Time.
"No words for my enemies yet I pray for them but I really have no energy"
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 4:47pm
Just watch Ali movie and When We Were Kings, everything will become clear to you ;)
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 4:54pm
i watched about 40 minutes of Ali a few months ago and hated it.. i'll look into it again though
- Best Coast

Nova View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:39pm
You guys have to rethink.

Muhammad Ali played as a very smart fighter.  He wore out the fighters he was against, and then knocked them out.

I do think Muhammad Ali vs. Mike Tyson would be the fight for the ages, though.
XBL=GeNovaZ
PC=NovazZ
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Nova

You guys have to rethink.Muhammad Ali played as a very smart fighter.  He wore out the fighters he was against, and then knocked them out.I do think Muhammad Ali vs. Mike Tyson would be the fight for the ages, though.

Yah and plus, I have never seen any other fighter being able to take that many hits and keep going and still have strenght and agility to knock his opponent out.

The fights vs. George Foreman and Joe Frazier are prime examples of that.
misfit44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote misfit44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:45pm
mike tyson was probability the best there was.
but everyone my dad's and grand father's age like
Jack dempsey because he use 2 box where i'm from
here is a mural on the building here where he used 2 fight at.

M-Rox View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote M-Rox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by misfit44

mike tyson was probability the best there was.but everyone my dad's and grand father's age likeJack dempsey because he use 2 box where i'm fromhere is a mural on the building here where he used 2 fight at.<h1 id="firsting" ="firsting"></h1>
Read a bio on Dempsey. He was awesome.
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:42pm
Just who did Iron Mike actually beat? When it counted he didnt have the mental resolve to stay the course. Any of my top 10 could have beaten him. 
  1. Muhammad Ali
  2. Joe Louis
  3. Larry Holmes
  4. George Foreman
  5. Rocky Marciano
  6. Mike Tyson
  7. Lennox Lewis
  8. Floyd Patterson
  9. Joe Fraizer
  10. Jack Johnson
Yes Tyson was not as hungry when he returned to boxing but that didnt seem to be a problem for Ali, Louis, Marciano, Patterson or Lewis. Marciano would have chewed Tyson up, Louis would have been too skillful for him, Holmes too. Ali too smart, Lewis too cute and too much reach. Foreman too powerful, Patterson would have known what was coming after all Cus D'mato was his manager too so no walk over there. Fraizer would have been made for Tyson but he had a bull's heart. Johnson might have upset Tyson with his style and natural height/reach advantage. C'mon guys clear your heads, its smelling salts time!
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:43pm

i would say that mike and ali are in the top 5.. and i still think Mike would have knocked Ali out.. if you want to know who Tyson beat, go to his wiki page. there is a whole list of them there.

i still think Lennox Lewis should be ranked higher!

- Best Coast

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:47pm
lol at foreman being too powerful. tyson would have knocked his grill ass out too. i'm not even going to comment on the others.
edit: you can't really say anything about someone having more "reach" or "height" than mike tyson since he was knocking people out who were way taller than him.
- Best Coast

Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:50pm

Just who did Iron Mike actually beat? When it counted he didnt have the mental resolve to stay the course. Any of my top 10 could have beaten him. 
  1. Muhammad Ali
  2. Joe Louis
  3. Larry Holmes
  4. George Foreman
  5. Rocky Marciano
  6. Mike Tyson
  7. Lennox Lewis
  8. Floyd Patterson
  9. Joe Fraizer
  10. Jack Johnson
Yes Tyson was not as hungry when he returned to boxing but that didnt seem to be a problem for Ali, Louis, Marciano, Patterson or Lewis. Marciano would have chewed Tyson up, Louis would have been too skillful for him, Holmes too. Ali too smart, Lewis too cute and too much reach. Foreman too powerful, Patterson would have known what was coming after all Cus D'mato was his manager too so no walk over there. Fraizer would have been made for Tyson but he had a bull's heart. Johnson might have upset Tyson with his style and natural height/reach advantage. C'mon guys clear your heads, its smelling salts time!

I love it when you talk dirty and tell it how it is!

Ali quote;

"You know I’m bad.
just last week, I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
I’m so mean, I make medicine sick."

But my top 3 will remain as 1. Ali 2. Foreman 3. Mikey. Because those 3 had the most impact on me with their fights.

The fight in africa was pure epic... the fight looked like a movie. And the way he knocked Foreman down was beautiful. He could have thrown another few punches to make sure he stayd down, but in that glorifying moment he just kept looking him in the eyes while he spiraled down to the floor.

Also I can see why people would vote for Mike Tyson, Al these great fighters like Ali, Foreman, Joe etc. etc. were champions and had their glory way before most of us were even born.

Most of us witnessed Tysons glory in our childhood times when we were alive.

I used to think Tyson was the best to, until my friend showed me what fighters like Ali did and the evidence is overwhelming, to deny that Ali is the greatest is pretty gay.. he predicted the round you went down.

Ow and btw, George Foreman destroyed punching bags with gloves + the ones that didn´t got destroyed he left a crater in as the size of half a watermelon.

Now how's that for power?

And Ali was able to take all those power hits from Foreman in his prime while Ali was way over his.

I can guarantee that Ali & George Foreman Grill would beat Tyson. I would put all my money on it.
Zellot View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Zellraiser

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zellot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 7:04pm

no butterbean Cry that dude was the ****

Deths Right Hand Stalks Me
OneMan1Army View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Rambo Style

Post Options Post Options   Quote OneMan1Army Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Zellot

<FONT style=": #000000">no butterbean Cry that dude was the ****

That fat mutha f*cka! Naw Z! You got it twisted homie. Lol. jk
"No words for my enemies yet I pray for them but I really have no energy"
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 6:00am
Originally posted by Supreme_Venom

1. Muhammad Ali
  2. Joe Louis
  3. Larry Holmes
  4. George Foreman
  5. Rocky Marciano
  6. Mike Tyson
  7. Lennox Lewis
  8. Floyd Patterson
  9. Joe Fraizer
  10. Jack Johnson

I love it when you talk dirty and tell it how it is!

Ali quote;

"You know I’m bad.
just last week, I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
I’m so mean, I make medicine sick."

But my top 3 will remain as 1. Ali 2. Foreman 3. Mikey. Because those 3 had the most impact on me with their fights.

The fight in africa was pure epic... the fight looked like a movie. And the way he knocked Foreman down was beautiful. He could have thrown another few punches to make sure he stayd down, but in that glorifying moment he just kept looking him in the eyes while he spiraled down to the floor.

Also I can see why people would vote for Mike Tyson, Al these great fighters like Ali, Foreman, Joe etc. etc. were champions and had their glory way before most of us were even born.

Most of us witnessed Tysons glory in our childhood times when we were alive.

I used to think Tyson was the best to, until my friend showed me what fighters like Ali did and the evidence is overwhelming, to deny that Ali is the greatest is pretty gay.. he predicted the round you went down.

Ow and btw, George Foreman destroyed punching bags with gloves + the ones that didn´t got destroyed he left a crater in as the size of half a watermelon.

Now how's that for power?

And Ali was able to take all those power hits from Foreman in his prime while Ali was way over his.

I can guarantee that Ali & George Foreman Grill would beat Tyson. I would put all my money on it.
lol okay, no getting through to you guys.. pretty cliche to say that Ali is the best fighter in the world.. i get tired of hearing that sh!t. i think you guys are underestimating mike. i'm not trying to say he is the best fighter who ever lived, i'm just saying that he would have knocked Ali and foreman out.
- Best Coast

Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 11:21am
It's not a clixhe if its true, I looked fairly to both mikey and ali in a neutral way, and I concluded that Ali is better. Sure even I think Mike Tyson has definitely a good chance of knocking ali and foreman down, but the odds are much greater that mikey would be the one going down.
Ninja_Monkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ninja_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:27pm
Ali had the highest caliber of competition in the history of heavyweight boxing. Tyson had mostly low caliber competition. Ali was way too skillful and savvy to lose to a dope like Tyson. Heck, even Evander Holyfield put a beating on Tyson and we all know what Tyson had to resort to in that one.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
aceoblivion View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Post Options Post Options   Quote aceoblivion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:46pm
Ali all the way. Tyson was nothing. The only reason anyone votes for Tyson is because he's the only one that was around for you kids to remember.
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote Supreme_Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Ninja_Monkey

Ali had the highest caliber of competition in the history of heavyweight boxing. Tyson had mostly low caliber competition. Ali was way too skillful and savvy to lose to a dope like Tyson. Heck, even Evander Holyfield put a beating on Tyson and we all know what Tyson had to resort to in that one.

Evander Holyfield is a fn beast. He reminds me of a black Sagat from Street Fighter with a mustache.

Originally posted by aceoblivion

Ali all the way. Tyson was nothing. The only reason anyone votes for Tyson is because he's the only one that was around for you kids to remember.

+1 Thumbs Up

But I wouldn't downgrade Tyson. Allot of people seem to either love him or hate him. You need to properly recognise his skills. He's an amazing fighter.. and if his trainer wouldn't have died I might say he could have won the fight vs. Holyfield.
Team TRU
Team TRU

Post Options Post Options   Quote aceoblivion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 5:18pm
I'm not putting down Tysons skills, it's just he was a brawler, not a boxer. I've fought many people just like him in many a barroom brawl or organized street fights. Ali had the brain power to beat anyone put in front of him.
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 5:21pm

I'm not putting down Tysons skills, it's just he was a brawler, not a boxer. I've fought many people just like him in many a barroom brawl or organized street fights. Ali had the brain power to beat anyone put in front of him.
Well, not anymore.
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
Team TRU
Team TRU

Post Options Post Options   Quote aceoblivion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by SP61gTSupra

Well, not anymore.
Eat it whore!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>