FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Religion and Politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 38>
Author
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religion and Politics
    Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:44pm
K my bad Silver but plz don't pull out a wiki entry then "quote" someone who is quoted without giving him a reference, it makes everything a little misleading/confusing. What is he that makes the quote significant anyway?
RE: Hitler - he may have been born a catholic and claimed to be a christian doing God's work (to treat all men equally, to give alms to the poor and needy, to nurse the sick and the lame - don't believe he did anything of the sort did he?) but i can't see it myself. His actions betrays his motives - IF JESUS WAS ALIVE DIN NAZI GERMANY HE'D HAVE TO SEND HIM TO THE GAS CHAMBER SO HOW CAN HE PROFESS TO BEING GOD'S INSTRUMENT! Never mind the rumour that his grandfather was Jewish. And to switch The Jews for the so-called Arayan race lol, did he think no one would notice?? Chosen my 4ss, he was a fraud, about as genuine as his 'politics' were fair. He had the blood of hundreds and thousand of christians on his hands, millions of Jewish people and many more agnostic and atheists - He cared for no one, no family, cept his Mom maybe and certainly NOT God!
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:10pm
yeah sizzle God still loves quick. There's only one unpardonable sin. And so far I haven't met anyone in life stupid enough to do it. Well technically it's done @ death. (in a way)
SilverJ-17 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Silver Coinage

Post Options Post Options   Quote SilverJ-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Blackfang

yeah sizzle God still loves quick. There's only one unpardonable sin. And so far I haven't met anyone in life stupid enough to do it. Well technically it's done @ death. (in a way)

Would that be suicide?
Fatal1st View Drop Down
Team AA
Team AA

Rican's Ho

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatal1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by T2D-QuickRC

*** GOD AND EVERY 1 WHO THINK'S HE REAL LOL

in fairness, you're proof god doesn't exist. if he did, then no-one would be as stupid as you.

lDEATHl-MACHINE View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 12:18am
Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

@Death, Pipe down before i forget im a Christian and come to your house and kick your 6'3-210 pound ass lol or maybe i'll just hop on 360 and kick your ass at ctf on your own host while cursing all the campers? lol

@Phantaci, my bad i didn't realise my box was full. F.U.K guys flood'd it xD its empty now

@SilverJ, one thing from another religion that im invious of is *having a harum*, can you imagine having 10 beutiful wifes all dedicated to you? i can xD

even though women are rather moody at times? and that would create a lot of kids? but i could handle that part! gotta take the bad with the good right? _-)

lol sorry good buddy just think people go waaaayyyy too far.  but about that offer lol, you know i only camp nasty on ps3 n everyone loves my beast net on 360 (you for one as well) and i run on 360 lol.  nothing but love for ya......... oh i forgot to tell ya im only 6'2 210 lol thought you  knew. 

I am an Exit!psn KuPcAKeDESTR0YER.NoTh1nG__FaCe.Y1NsSeVeRiTy.SuM_RANDOMN008. Portal sits deep within the eye. The eye of Y1NsSeVeRiTy rewards understanding.XBLgametag lDEATHl MACHINE
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:07am
well Death they say the first thing to go is your memory xD Seif knows how bad my memory is. i guess i gave you an extra inch then? lol
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
lDEATHl-MACHINE View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 11:50pm

well Death they say the first thing to go is your memory xD Seif knows how bad my memory is. i guess i gave you an extra inch then? lol
lol, n yea lets get back to ctf on 360 with my beast net everyones happy
I am an Exit!psn KuPcAKeDESTR0YER.NoTh1nG__FaCe.Y1NsSeVeRiTy.SuM_RANDOMN008. Portal sits deep within the eye. The eye of Y1NsSeVeRiTy rewards understanding.XBLgametag lDEATHl MACHINE
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 6:26am
if your host is up i'll play some ctf for sure, i gotta get Halo Reach so i can check it out too.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 7:33am
“u can't get something from nothing“? was the big bang created by a bunch of nothing being compressed under a huge amount of pressure? xD

what was compressed causing the big bang?

think of hitting a reset button without saving? if you play a game then hit reset without saving, all proof of you playing the game is gone, but does that mean you didn't play the game? and everything you seen and done on the game didn't exist?

maybe the big bang basicaly destroyed everything, turning it all back into basic reconstructive materials? sort of like hitting a reset button. if so? what was destroyed?

that makes a lot more since then something from nothing!

mankind is only literate of what is known so far, and parts of what is known so far may be wrong? so were basicaly still in infantcy!

the possibility's are endless! so lets just let science keep assuming and proving its self wrong lol

GOD does exist! and he can prove it to you! lol

If GOD hasn't prooved it to you yet? thats on you! not GOD!   

-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 8:46am

“u can't get something from nothing“? was the big bang created by a bunch of nothing being compressed under a huge amount of pressure? xD
Was god created by a bunch of nothing being compressed under a huge amount of pressure ?

what was compressed causing the big bang?

think of hitting a reset button without saving? if you play a game then hit reset without saving, all proof of you playing the game is gone, but does that mean you didn't play the game? and everything you seen and done on the game didn't exist?

maybe the big bang basicaly destroyed everything, turning it all back into basic reconstructive materials? sort of like hitting a reset button. if so? what was destroyed?

that makes a lot more since then something from nothing!

mankind is only literate of what is known so far, and parts of what is known so far may be wrong? so were basicaly still in infantcy!
That's where humanyity fails, cause we are not capable of understanding anything like a concept without time, like a "singularity". Same goes for the idea of god.

GOD does exist! and he can prove it to you! lol

If GOD hasn't prooved it to you yet? thats on you! not GOD!   

He never has to me.

And sorry, maybe this is again too hard on some people, and I REALLY don't want to sound arrogant, I am not. But to believe on something that will only show to me if I fully believe in it, and that doesn't fit into our concept, not even a little bit, and that only showed itself to humanity when we were not capable of capturing it visually, I'm sorry but I really am too smart for that. To FULLY accept it, it doesn't go into my brain. Oh, and have I mentioned that I took another IQ test, since the last one was way too early ?

Lunchy was right about that one post of yours sizzle, to say that the big bang doesn't make sense but god does ? -.-
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
QwEsT View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote QwEsT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 4:40pm

just out of curiosity? if there is a GOD? and you go to Heaven for all eternity if you except GOD? and you go to hell for all eternity if you don't except GOD? there's people who would choose hell? now not beliving is one thing, but to choose hell over Heavan would just be insane! wouldn't it? who would choose damnable misery that never ends? idgi?
People ARE really stupid.
PSN: qwest4victory    A-R_l2eQwEsT
XBL: ViTuHMiN C
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 6:13pm
^ there's a retard 4 U!!!
QwEsT View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Post Options Post Options   Quote QwEsT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 6:16pm

^ there's a retard 4 U!!!
How am I? I am one of those people that picks Heaven over Hell.
PSN: qwest4victory    A-R_l2eQwEsT
XBL: ViTuHMiN C
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 6:18pm
that was obviously a joke Qwest xD
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 7:30am
People of faith believe there is something more after this life; good for them. Let them live in peace with their beliefs  Others believe that's the end and they turn into fertilizer; good for them. Let them live in peace with their beliefs as well.  I'm far more worried about what's for dinner than I am concerned about another mans beliefs.

I ponder the mystery of the missing sock more than I concerm myself with the origins of the universe.   Socks should not just completely disappear with no apparent cause, yet they do all the time.  My theory; the rotation of the dryer somehow spins those little f***ers right out of space and time, leaving them irretrievably lost in the vast unknown.  I don't care where the universe came from, I want my damn sock back.

Some things simply do not warrant debate.  Especially when there's no clear winner and either side is closed to the opinions of others.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 7:42am
"But to believe on something that will only show to me if I fully believe in it, and that doesn't fit into our concept, not even a little bit, and that only showed itself to humanity when we were not capable of capturing it visually, I'm sorry but I really am too smart for that. To FULLY accept it, it doesn't go into my brain".
I don't think its your intention but this is why you rile Syzygy, you state that you are not trying to insult anyone's beliefs then imply that people who believe in the existence of God are NOT smart, less intelligent or in your eyes - having a lower IQ. For the record I know some really clever people with very high IQs but I don't consider them smarter or better than me or even more socially balanced than me. IQ is one measure of intelligence it's NOT the "defacto" measure of intelligence!
One thing that comes across here is that most of us aren't dumb, far from it! Science gives us an invaluable insight into 'reality'. It helps us to make progress and it should not be scorned nor mocked. Neither should it be portrayed as the only truth. The only truthful conclusion we can attest to is that 'we simply don't know'. So everything is down to your personal conviction - yes what you believe to be the truth!
Since this is a science thread then I will say that science in its purest form is without moral concern. it is not a question of ethics, (e.g. because we can put a pig's heart into a human being or extract foetal material in cellular form to repair organs or create/support life we should not be concerned with "is it right to do so"). For me science has a moral responsibility and "just because we can it doesn't necessarily mean that we should!" Is this reigning back the advancement of science, simply being cautious or morally conscientious? But consider what problems science may solve today may threaten our very existence tomorrow.
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Aquaknot

People of faith believe there is something more after this life; good for them. Let them live in peace with their beliefs  Others believe that's the end and they turn into fertilizer; good for them. Let them live in peace with their beliefs as well.  I'm far more worried about what's for dinner than I am concerned about another mans beliefs.

I ponder the mystery of the missing sock more than I concerm myself with the origins of the universe.   Socks should not just completely disappear with no apparent cause, yet they do all the time.  My theory; the rotation of the dryer somehow spins those little f***ers right out of space and time, leaving them irretrievably lost in the vast unknown.  I don't care where the universe came from, I want my damn sock back.

Some things simply do not warrant debate.  Especially when there's no clear winner and either side is closed to the opinions of others.
Damn u Aqua I just posted the same sentiment. Belief is like horse racing - weigh everything up for yourself then place your bet. You won't know the result until the end of the race so everything up until the result is just you trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you backed the winner!
RE: Socks - the problem is that you placed yourself in the hands of technology and it let you down. Hand wash in plain water and a little soap next time then dry using the natural elements - jk sorry couldn't resist!
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:09am
I keep a fairly open mind on science and religion imo and yes I'm a believer. But sometimes things just aren't as simplistic as electing to go to heaven if you accept God! Today the Pope is coming to my home city. And yes there is much hypocrisy in religious belief. On child abuse by his own ministry he said "I think of the immense suffering caused by the abuse of children, especially within the Church and by her ministers". Yet the church knowingly turned a blind eye to these "unspeakable crimes" and very little has been done since. I hear how they condemn gay marriage, gay priests and adoption by gay couples (which i admit I have my doubts). But then when I measure that against paed0ph1le ministers I ask myself which is the greater sin, which is the greater crime? And who gets to go to heaven - the ones who show love or the ones who lust?
Again I read about Islam and the practice of honour killing and female c1rcumcision. Both impure acts but the established order allow these foul practices to continue. My God does NOT advocate any of these as acts on his behalf, it is man that is flawed. And if people who say God doesn't exist think that science will cure us of all our ills then are scientists are human too.
Check out this article from my paper this week (about evolution/creationism in USA from the prominent atheist Richard Dawkins). He has some interesting points and he acknowledges the chinks in the armour of the pro-evolutionary scientists.

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:43am
which sin is greater? thats a great subject weather your religious or not! you can even rephrase it for non believers. which is worse?

Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:58am
Yes SYZYGY but my real point is not simply to accept the truth but to interrogate it. It either makes your conviction stronger or it makes you question what you believe and to seek the new truth. To simply follow is imo NOT belief but thoughtlessness or obedience. E.G. For years I grew up being told that gays are bad people by the church and, indirectly, my parents and ppl around me I guess. As I grew up and met others I realised that not everyone was exactly straight and they were 'normal' likeable people too. OK so maybe the attraction thing idgi but thats cos im me but I know i'd rather an honest gay friend than a paed0phile or straight up christian hypocrite - truth!
When it comes down to it procreation is functional but love is spiritual - there's a distinct difference. Whatever take the church has shouldn't automatically become yours - you should question. I don't remember anywhere in the Bible where it says man shall appoint a direct representative of God on earth. God's sole representative in human form was Jesus wasn't it? 
Using gay ppl as an example sounds like i'm on the turn lol but i'm not, I have no hidden agenda, just using an example of real life and an altering of perspectives. 
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:35am
Jesus was said to have saved a prostitute from being stoned? which wouldn't mean he agreed with prostitution! you can condem the act without condeming the person!

good people sometimes do bad things! and then there's bad or EVIL people! that love to hate and destroy happyness and life itsself. hell awaits those people imo because there the EVIL SADISTIC scum of the earth! Misery allways follows them!

but is it ok to kill someone even if there evil? though shall not kill! which means to me that im to even let myself die before taking a life.

judge not unless ye be judges! says to me even if i disagree with something someone does or even someones life style im not to judge them, or i'll be judged. as humans we arn't capable of judging someone because we can't know all the facts and the total truth about any given situation. and since menal stability at any given moment is always in question. its impossible to judge a person correctly. so you can disagree with an act or even condem the act but you shouldn't condem the person.

some things are for GOD to judge

commiting a gay act is a gay act xD taking a life is ending a persons existence on earth! which has to be at the top of the list of sins imo. right under taking your own life. where you acually have a choice.

gay marriage is not even marriage imo so who cares? if gay people want to make believe that there married by getting some fake priest to say some meaningless fake vows? don't let me stop them lol whatever gets em through there day? _-)
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:19pm
Why do people pray to God when a family member is sick? Didn't God make them sick? That, I find funny. Side note, I'd rather be an accident that has culminated from trillions and trillions of years of accidents, than be a pet that's gonna get 'spanked' for 'pissin' on the floor. Actually, a better comparison would be, getting kicked in the face repeatedly for sneezing,...................but he loves you! :)
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by SilverJ-17

Originally posted by Blackfang

Would that be suicide?
Oh yeah, if someone other than God does the killing, he gets pi$$ed.
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
Fatal1st View Drop Down
Team AA
Team AA

Rican's Ho

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatal1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:19pm
i only read this thread when i'm bored, wherever possible i avoid replying because ignorance annoys me.

before i add my two-penneth to the mixing pot i should probably make my position clear. first of all, i don't believe in "god", but i do believe in the value of freedom. i may not like your opinions, i may disagree with your beliefs, but i would fight for your right to hold them.

you could call me an atheist, if you look at the common understanding of the term then that's probably the closest fit for me, but it fails to completely capture my views.

i'm not ignorant enough to assume i know all the answers. the only thing i can be quite certain on is that my limited knowledge will always be dwarfed by my stupidity. it requires a degree of intelligence to accept this though, and i dare to say it's an intelligence that most people lack.

secondly, in order to understand my stance, you have to recognise the total and absolute distinction i make between god and religion. i find the latter has a relationship to the former akin to a trashy celebrity magazine and the complete works of voltaire. religion quite honestly abhors me. i make no apologies for that. ever since i was old enough to think for myself i have fought to preserve my individuality and freedom. i am not a number. your code of principles is not necessarily mine. the only thing in this world that makes me an individual is my mind, my intelligence, my decisions. following someone else's interpretation of "god" is as dehumanising to me as a lobotomy. 

now i've covered religion, lets move on to "god". the god that most of you idolise seems like a vindictive, homophobic, sexist little pr1ck. i reject conventional "god" entirely. he can take his commandments and use them to go fu.ck himself up the a.ss. oh wait, thats a sin, apparently. 

of course there is an entity in the universe that created everything. whether that entity is sentient or simply a single rogue atom is beyond my comprehension. any more speculation beyond this point and we move into the territory of guesswork, and once we embark on guesswork then we see the birth of religion. 

i am not of course implying that we shouldn't try to seek answers to the fundamental questions of the universe. as an aspirational species we crave knowledge and understanding, but there needs to be a basis to this understanding. i cannot build a house on the sand and not expect it to be washed away. ultimately, this is how i see religion. 

maybe the fallible thing about religion is that humans created it, and all human's have motives, hidden agenda's, reasons behind every decision they make. call me a cynic but i'm not naive enough to think that religion was created to bring people closer to "god", that was simply a by-product of the need to produce social order. i have no doubt that religion was essential in shaping modern world, but with the advent of legal systems in the post-modern era i genuinely see it as obsolete and irrelevant.

i guess these are the basics of my position on the subject, if you're intelligent enough i have no doubt that you can pick my reasoning apart. please try, i like a good debate. 
------

oh, and i had to reply to a few things sizzle said here too.. it's not an attack on syzle, just his opinions, in fairness i could have quoted 3 or 4 people from this thread and made the exact same points. syz was just lucky enough to be the one to point out all the things i disagree with in one post ;)

good people sometimes do bad things! and then there's bad or EVIL people! that love to hate and destroy happyness and life itsself. hell awaits those people imo because there the EVIL SADISTIC scum of the earth! Misery allways follows them!

i don't think there are truely bad or evil people. there are people that make choices that lead to undesirable consequences, murderers, rapists etc, but to say that someone is "evil" implies that that element is at the core of their being. a serial killer could choose to stop killing, a paedophile could chose to express his sexuality in a different way. to say that someone is "evil" pigeon-hole's someone into conforming to their own stereotype. it is as if to say that "you killed once, so you will always be a killer, and nothing you can do will make amends for it. you will always be evil". 

true, nothing the individual can do will bring the person they killed back. but if you cannot change the past you can sure as hell re-define yourself in the future. like everyone here i have made mistakes and i have done things that i'm not proud of, but my mistakes don't tell me who i am, they tell me who i'm not. 

i will always give people a chance, regardless of how little they deserve it. i thought the basis of religion itself was centred around the idea that people can change, that there are principles to aspire to. yet for the most part, the christians on this site are like hitler at a bah mitzvah.

commiting a gay act is a gay act xD taking a life is ending a persons existence on earth! which has to be at the top of the list of sins imo. right under taking your own life. where you acually have a choice.

i could start an entirely new debate on the ethics of suicide. essentially if someone finds their life so unbearable that they don't want to live anymore, why shouldn't  they be allowed to end it? it's their body, it's their choice. of course suicide destroys lives and families, but we each have complete and total ownership of our own bodies. if we want to take that to the furthest level then we should have absolute freedom to end our lives too. but of course, that's my morality and not yours, but if i ended my life tonight i would not be a "sinner", i find the fact that someone would try to impose their morality upon me incredibly condescending.

gay marriage is not even marriage imo so who cares? if gay people want to make believe that there married by getting some fake priest to say some meaningless fake vows? don't let me stop them lol whatever gets em through there day? _- 

so "god" tells us that love is one of the greatest things in life that we should all aspire to. it's all well and good if that love is between a woman and a man and they want to share their love with the world by taking vows. but if that love is between a man and a man, they should burn forever in hell? i guess they shouldn't have taken "love thy fellow man" so literally... 
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Fatal1st

i only read this thread when i'm bored, wherever possible i avoid replying because ignorance annoys me.

before i add my two-penneth to the mixing pot i should probably make my position clear. first of all, i don't believe in "god", but i do believe in the value of freedom. i may not like your opinions, i may disagree with your beliefs, but i would fight for your right to hold them.

you could call me an atheist, if you look at the common understanding of the term then that's probably the closest fit for me, but it fails to completely capture my views.

i'm not ignorant enough to assume i know all the answers. the only thing i can be quite certain on is that my limited knowledge will always be dwarfed by my stupidity. it requires a degree of intelligence to accept this though, and i dare to say it's an intelligence that most people lack.

secondly, in order to understand my stance, you have to recognise the total and absolute distinction i make between god and religion. i find the latter has a relationship to the former akin to a trashy celebrity magazine and the complete works of voltaire. religion quite honestly abhors me. i make no apologies for that. ever since i was old enough to think for myself i have fought to preserve my individuality and freedom. i am not a number. your code of principles is not necessarily mine. the only thing in this world that makes me an individual is my mind, my intelligence, my decisions. following someone else's interpretation of "god" is as dehumanising to me as a lobotomy. 

now i've covered religion, lets move on to "god". the god that most of you idolise seems like a vindictive, homophobic, sexist little pr1ck. i reject conventional "god" entirely. he can take his commandments and use them to go fu.ck himself up the a.ss. oh wait, thats a sin, apparently. 

of course there is an entity in the universe that created everything. whether that entity is sentient or simply a single rogue atom is beyond my comprehension. any more speculation beyond this point and we move into the territory of guesswork, and once we embark on guesswork then we see the birth of religion. 

i am not of course implying that we shouldn't try to seek answers to the fundamental questions of the universe. as an aspirational species we crave knowledge and understanding, but there needs to be a basis to this understanding. i cannot build a house on the sand and not expect it to be washed away. ultimately, this is how i see religion. 

maybe the fallible thing about religion is that humans created it, and all human's have motives, hidden agenda's, reasons behind every decision they make. call me a cynic but i'm not naive enough to think that religion was created to bring people closer to "god", that was simply a by-product of the need to produce social order. i have no doubt that religion was essential in shaping modern world, but with the advent of legal systems in the post-modern era i genuinely see it as obsolete and irrelevant.

i guess these are the basics of my position on the subject, if you're intelligent enough i have no doubt that you can pick my reasoning apart. please try, i like a good debate. 
------

oh, and i had to reply to a few things sizzle said here too.. it's not an attack on syzle, just his opinions, in fairness i could have quoted 3 or 4 people from this thread and made the exact same points. syz was just lucky enough to be the one to point out all the things i disagree with in one post ;)

i don't think there are truely bad or evil people. there are people that make choices that lead to undesirable consequences, murderers, rapists etc, but to say that someone is "evil" implies that that element is at the core of their being. a serial killer could choose to stop killing, a paedophile could chose to express his sexuality in a different way. to say that someone is "evil" pigeon-hole's someone into conforming to their own stereotype. it is as if to say that "you killed once, so you will always be a killer, and nothing you can do will make amends for it. you will always be evil". 

true, nothing the individual can do will bring the person they killed back. but if you cannot change the past you can sure as hell re-define yourself in the future. like everyone here i have made mistakes and i have done things that i'm not proud of, but my mistakes don't tell me who i am, they tell me who i'm not. 

i will always give people a chance, regardless of how little they deserve it. i thought the basis of religion itself was centred around the idea that people can change, that there are principles to aspire to. yet for the most part, the christians on this site are like hitler at a bah mitzvah.

i could start an entirely new debate on the ethics of suicide. essentially if someone finds their life so unbearable that they don't want to live anymore, why shouldn't  they be allowed to end it? it's their body, it's their choice. of course suicide destroys lives and families, but we each have complete and total ownership of our own bodies. if we want to take that to the furthest level then we should have absolute freedom to end our lives too. but of course, that's my morality and not yours, but if i ended my life tonight i would not be a "sinner", i find the fact that someone would try to impose their morality upon me incredibly condescending.

gay marriage is not even marriage imo so who cares? if gay people want to make believe that there married by getting some fake priest to say some meaningless fake vows? don't let me stop them lol whatever gets em through there day? _- 

so "god" tells us that love is one of the greatest things in life that we should all aspire to. it's all well and good if that love is between a woman and a man and they want to share their love with the world by taking vows. but if that love is between a man and a man, they should burn forever in hell? i guess they shouldn't have taken "love thy fellow man" so literally... 
Reading this whole post, a smile came onto my face becoming bigger while reading more.
Very good post. :)
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 38>