FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SCIENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCIENCE
    Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by TuNA FISh

Originally posted by TX2k7

tuna that topic is still quite hotly debated amongst the scientific community, all they r certain of right now is that the universe is expanding at an increasing rate...speeding up

however while that leads to the conclusion that the universe will continue to expand until everything just drifts apart into cold nothingness (the "Big Rip" theory as i understand it is called) many others accept the possibility that the universe's expansion will slow, stop and then reverse....collapsing back in on itself (the "Big Crunch" theory i believe this one is called)

going off on to a side note, there are some who believe that our universe's origins, the origin of the Big Bang, was the result of another "universe" or possibly even another dimension collapsing in on itself in a "Big Crunch" following a cycle of one universe dies another takes its place....again that's all just hyppothetcials and nothing will substantial evidence just some food for thought, but i know most peoples minds will wonder to the question (contd)

green: everything is "hotly" debated amongst the scientific community :Q

once we understand black holes then we will understand the origins of our universe.

i personally think that they will start studying magnetism more in physics.. so weird to know how powerful gravity is yet you can defy it with a tiny magnet. i wonder if that's what they are going to use when we discover how to make artificial gravity

The only reason gravity apears to be weak is because its origin the, gravaton, isn't in the dimentions we are in, brepth, depth, lenght, time... Its thought to be in the other 7 dimentions...
Ha! We've got guns!, No what you have are bullets and the hope that by time you've fired im not still standing because if I am, you'll be dead befor you've reloaded
ASHYTEBUBLExD View Drop Down
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:44pm
One of the purposes of the hadron collider is to attempt to detect the graviton leaving the dimentions as the two particals collide
Ha! We've got guns!, No what you have are bullets and the hope that by time you've fired im not still standing because if I am, you'll be dead befor you've reloaded
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:02pm

Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

where did you take your iq test a cracher jack box? lol its sincesless to even try to clue U in dude
i like how you try to make everyone out to be mentally retarded.. it's like you honestly believe we are not on "your level". you are narcissistic

its not narcissistic to question someones intelligents! and i think its been me thats been called stupid and retard so when i return the favor just fk'n dill with it k
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by -DaGoN-

where did you take your iq test a cracher jack box? lol its sincesless to even try to clue U in dude
i like how you try to make everyone out to be mentally retarded.. it's like you honestly believe we are not on "your level". you are narcissistic
Word.

Yes, a talking point's validity should be assessed based on it's content, not who wrote it.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:38pm
me and Trinity tried to keep it that way but certain athiests would rather talk sh1t so i guess we'll just do that now istead. which is acually fine with me at this point!
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by ASHYTEBUBLExD

Originally posted by HanFei

Originally posted by TX2k7

consider everything u see, no matter how close u are to it u are merely seeing the light reflected off that object and with that in mind, u are not truly seeing what u are observing as it exists at that very moment, u are percieving it a fraction of a second after that moment (the time the light takes to reflect off the object and be percieved by u, including the fraction of a second ur brain takes to process the information from ur eyes and send an image back) btw....nice radioactive sybol on the topic syz :D hehehe

Yes, in short, we are always seeing the past.

Over the flat ocean we can see about 150 miles before the curvature of the earth prevents us from seeing further. Since the speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second relative to anyone and everything, it takes light from one of the farthest objects you can see on earth ~.0008 secs to reach you. Thus, we are always seeing, as TX2k7 said, the past. Expand this to distances between us and the closest star, Proxima Centauri; and, the difference in time between when the event (light emission) happened and we see it becomes 4.2 light years.

For practical purposes In everyday life, these statement of reality is not particularly helpful - only insightful.
But then I could argue that im being less affected by time that you are, if we say time is relative, i can say im moving faster through time than you are therfore I WIN...

Yes, both our statements are true. If you increase velocity or gravitational strength on some object A, passage of time slows for A relative to some third party observer, B. However, for the observer in A or B, time appears to pass normally, as we are now. Yet, regaurdless of discrepancies in "the present," both A and B view events who's origins are in the past, as we covered earlier.    
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 5:54pm
you sure bout that?
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 6:16pm
Proven facts.
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 7:35pm
facts? sure they are
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 7:59pm

you sure bout that?

Yes, for further reading, see time dilation.
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

I'm under the impression GPS receivers are an application of this..
From our perspective on earth, GPS satellites travel closer to the sped of light than we do. Therefore, time passes more slowly on the satellites Cesium atomic clock from our vantage point on earth. I'm fairly certain the GPS receiver accounts for this discrepency when doing delay of transmission arrival and triangulation calculations.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 8:23pm

Yes, both our statements are true. If you increase velocity or gravitational strength on some object A, passage of time slows for A relative to some third party observer, B. However, for the observer in A or B, time appears to pass normally, as we are now. Yet, regaurdless of discrepancies in "the present," both A and B view events who's origins are in the past, as we covered earlier.    

Here's what stirs my pot:  Velocity affecting time relative to the mass in motion.

I am standing on Earth at roughly 30 degrees north.  The rotational speed of the Earth at this latitude is approximately 898.5 MPH.  The object I am standing on is whizzing through space at roughly 66,660 MPH around the solar center.  The solar center resides in the Orion arm of the Milky Way Galaxy and is rocketing around the galactic core at about 492,126 MPH.  NASA estimates that the Milky Way Galaxy is moving through the Universe at approximately 671,081 MPH.

• With all that twist & shout, why don't I fall out of bed?
  • Is my life longer or shorter than a life form on an obeject fixed in the ether of space?
  • If I travel back in time, could I miss the mark and find myself floating in the void because I forgot to sharpen my pencil?
  • If I lost a sock 6 hours ago, how far behind me is it?
I need a snack-
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Aquaknot

Here's what stirs my pot:  Velocity affecting time relative to the mass in motion.

I am standing on Earth at roughly 30 degrees north.  The rotational speed of the Earth at this latitude is approximately 898.5 MPH.  The object I am standing on is whizzing through space at roughly 66,660 MPH around the solar center.  The solar center resides in the Orion arm of the Milky Way Galaxy and is rocketing around the galactic core at about 492,126 MPH.  NASA estimates that the Milky Way Galaxy is moving through the Universe at approximately 671,081 MPH.

• Is my life longer or shorter than a life form on an obeject fixed in the ether of space?
  • If I travel back in time, could I miss the mark and find myself floating in the void because I forgot to sharpen my pencil?
I need a snack-

science is AWESOME!!!
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:18pm
one more thing...if by theory, we travel faster than the speed of light, what should we call it?  after all by theory we would then begin traveling through time correct?

"Faster than Light Speed?"

i think we should call it..."Ether Speed"
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Ether404

one more thing...if by theory, we travel faster than the speed of light, what should we call it?  after all by theory we would then begin traveling through time correct?
"Faster than Light Speed?"
i think we should call it..."Ether Speed"

Ha, very cool name!

Although information can not travel faster than light in a vacuum, particles can go faster than light in a medium. oh, snap! Ha. See cherenkov radiation for further reading.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:40pm
Matter moving at the speed of light would have infinite mass and a length of zero.  I suppose going even faster than that would turn your socks inside out automatically.

But, I just added a new style Ether drive to my galactic star cruiser to cut down on the transwarp trips to Alpha Centauri.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:46pm
HanFei - does radiation have specific gravity?  I know it's measured in Rads, but does it have weight?  Is it particles or something like the mystery meat in fast food chicken nuggets - origins and composition unknown?  That's been bugging me for some time.
-- Thomas Jefferson
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:47pm

I need a snack-

1) you stay in your bed because you, your bed and the earth are traveling through the galaxy, universe, etcetera at the same velocity. This is analogous to sleeping on a train. Although the train is moving fast, you too are moving with it. Thus, it appears everything within the train is stationary and things outside move. Yet, from practical experience, we know the opposite is true.
2) Your life progresses slower, relative to an object moving slower than yourself. If you could somehow get to this slower point, your current life, the journey to the slower point and the arrival at the "slower point" would appear to you to have the same rate of passage of time.
3) Yes, especially if the "out" end of the einstein-rosen bridge is neither fixed in space nor time.
4) depends on the changes in velocity and gravitational intensity on both you and the sock. For practical purposes, 6 hours. Edit: wait, that doesn't make sense... Idk /edit

I'm probably going to hit the sack..... Accounting class in the morning.
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 10:12pm

HanFei - does radiation have specific gravity?  I know it's measured in Rads, but does it have weight?  Is it particles or something like the mystery meat in fast food chicken nuggets - origins and composition unknown?  That's been bugging me for some time.

Edit: short answer yes, mass of photon, neutron, electron or helium nucleus. However, it is I portent to note that as things approach c, like particles being released from fission, mass decreases. I know it's counter intuitive, I may have phrased it wrong, but the principle remains. /edit

Four types of radiation - all have specific mass amounts
- alpha radiation is the emission of the equivalent of a helium nucleus from an unstable isotope. Very damaging, highly ionizing, stopped by a few inches of air, specific weight known, isotope looses two neutrons and two protons.
- beta radiation is the emission of the equivalent of an electron from an unstable nucleus. Ionizing, stopped by paper, specific weight known, but position subject to quantum randomness.
- neutron - emission of generally 2-3 neutrons per fission or some in neuronic fusion processes (some fusion processes don't release neutrons), most damaging on a per particle basis, specific weight known, stopped with atoms that have a large cross section for absorbing neutrons (more probable to absorb than bounce off) like hydrogen in water or boron
- gamma - high every photon, ionizing, although this is the least damaging, there are generally far more of these hitting you, making them cumulatively more damaging.

All of these can damage DNA. As an aside, flight attendants have the highest rates of radiation exposure out of any profession. Sorry for the sloppy post.
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:37am

you sure bout that?

Yes, for further reading, see time dilation.
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

I'm under the impression GPS receivers are an application of this..
From our perspective on earth, GPS satellites travel closer to the sped of light than we do. Therefore, time passes more slowly on the satellites Cesium atomic clock from our vantage point on earth. I'm fairly certain the GPS receiver accounts for this discrepency when doing delay of transmission arrival and triangulation calculations.
Yes I read about that, GPS systems work like that. If they didn't you'd always be a few miles off course.

Science really is awesome. :D

But going faster than light speed ?! The energy needed is endless.
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 7:04am

Edit: short answer yes, mass of photon, neutron, electron or helium nucleus. However, it is I portent to note that as things approach c, like particles being released from fission, mass decreases. I know it's counter intuitive, I may have phrased it wrong, but the principle remains. /edit

Four types of radiation - all have specific mass amounts
- alpha radiation is the emission of the equivalent of a helium nucleus from an unstable isotope. Very damaging, highly ionizing, stopped by a few inches of air, specific weight known, isotope looses two neutrons and two protons.
- beta radiation is the emission of the equivalent of an electron from an unstable nucleus. Ionizing, stopped by paper, specific weight known, but position subject to quantum randomness.
- neutron - emission of generally 2-3 neutrons per fission or some in neuronic fusion processes (some fusion processes don't release neutrons), most damaging on a per particle basis, specific weight known, stopped with atoms that have a large cross section for absorbing neutrons (more probable to absorb than bounce off) like hydrogen in water or boron
- gamma - high every photon, ionizing, although this is the least damaging, there are generally far more of these hitting you, making them cumulatively more damaging.

All of these can damage DNA. As an aside, flight attendants have the highest rates of radiation exposure out of any profession. Sorry for the sloppy post.

Awesome.  Thanks.
-- Thomas Jefferson
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 7:07am
i just have a problem with the word fact being used in science. things in science are only accepeted as fact until there proven wrong! which almost always happens eventually! i could write all day on “so called” scientific facts that have been proven wrong? so “scientific facts” being proven wrong, seems to be the most constant occurance there is xD

SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 7:26am

Coming from a dude who has multiple errors in grammar and spelling in almost every post; and who is over forty years of age, while telling a guy who is more than half your elder, who's talking to you in a second language,stupid!!!  Who also makes pretty good points (they agree with mine, of course their good)!
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 10:29am
Haha of course they are, good one. :D

And yeah I always thought it's a shame how I speak about religion, science, personal feelings and other complex topics in a second language and he doesn't even recognize it, instead calls me stupid, an idiot, retarded and blablabla.

Pure ignorance. -.-

Oh and sizzle your whole last post can be transfered onto religion.
I remember the church even used to claim that the planet earth is the middle of the universe ? And it's flat ? Coming from the church, yes.
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:37pm

syzygy, what you don't realize is that we know more about religion than you do... you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to physics.. you watch a couple of documentaries and you think you know the "truth"

The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by -DaGoN-

Haha of course they are, good one. :D

And yeah I always thought it's a shame how I speak about religion, science, personal feelings and other complex topics in a second language and he doesn't even recognize it, instead calls me stupid, an idiot, retarded and blablabla.

Pure ignorance. -.-

Oh and sizzle your whole last post can be transfered onto religion.
I remember the church even used to claim that the planet earth is the middle of the universe ? And it's flat ? Coming from the church, yes.
thats because the church felt threatened by the new power base - scientific knowledge. They thought it was in direct contradiction of what it stood for so they persecuted them as heretics. Kinda dumb really but thats what ultimate power does for ya. maybe Galileo should of borrowed the poe his telescope so he could see for himself?
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>