FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SCIENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCIENCE
    Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 3:06am
Science alone of all subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation...learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact. I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.

who? _-)
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 11:09am
One of the greatest physicists there has ever been!

“I think i can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics”

Richard Frenman

ASHYTEBUBLExD View Drop Down
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by HanFei

Originally posted by ASHYTEBUBLExD

Originally posted by HanFei

Originally posted by TX2k7

consider everything u see, no matter how close u are to it u are merely seeing the light reflected off that object and with that in mind, u are not truly seeing what u are observing as it exists at that very moment, u are percieving it a fraction of a second after that moment (the time the light takes to reflect off the object and be percieved by u, including the fraction of a second ur brain takes to process the information from ur eyes and send an image back) btw....nice radioactive sybol on the topic syz :D hehehe

Yes, in short, we are always seeing the past.

Over the flat ocean we can see about 150 miles before the curvature of the earth prevents us from seeing further. Since the speed of light in a vacuum is 186,282 miles per second relative to anyone and everything, it takes light from one of the farthest objects you can see on earth ~.0008 secs to reach you. Thus, we are always seeing, as TX2k7 said, the past. Expand this to distances between us and the closest star, Proxima Centauri; and, the difference in time between when the event (light emission) happened and we see it becomes 4.2 light years.

For practical purposes In everyday life, these statement of reality is not particularly helpful - only insightful.
But then I could argue that im being less affected by time that you are, if we say time is relative, i can say im moving faster through time than you are therfore I WIN...

Yes, both our statements are true. If you increase velocity or gravitational strength on some object A, passage of time slows for A relative to some third party observer, B. However, for the observer in A or B, time appears to pass normally, as we are now. Yet, regaurdless of discrepancies in "the present," both A and B view events who's origins are in the past, as we covered earlier.    

I still win =D
Ha! We've got guns!, No what you have are bullets and the hope that by time you've fired im not still standing because if I am, you'll be dead befor you've reloaded
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 2:14pm
There are Seven Arguments to the way our Verse came to be;
  1. The absurd universe
    Our universe just happens to be the way it is.
  2. The unique universe
    There is a deep underlying unity in physics which necessitates the universe being the way it is. Some theory of everything will explain why the various features of the Universe must have exactly the values that we see.
  3. The multiverse
    Multiple Universes exist, having all possible combinations of characteristics, and we inevitably find ourselves within a Universe that allows us to exist.
  4. Creationism
    A creator designed the Universe with the purpose of supporting complexity and the emergence of Intelligence.
  5. The life principle
    There is an underlying principle that constrains the universe to evolve towards life and mind.
  6. The self-explaining universe
    A closed explanatory or causal loop: "perhaps only universes with a capacity for consciousness can exist." This is wheeler's Participatory Anthropic Principle (PAP).
  7. The fake universe
    We live inside a virtual reality simulation.
DISCUSS =]
We can almost rule out 1 & 7
Ha! We've got guns!, No what you have are bullets and the hope that by time you've fired im not still standing because if I am, you'll be dead befor you've reloaded
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 3:17pm
multiverse is the correct one...
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by TuNA FISh

is that with super string theory?
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 3:25pm
How can you rule out 7 ?
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by -DaGoN-

How can you rule out 7 ?

Cogito ergo mundus talis est

-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 5:04pm
Is that latin ? idk
Not of any help, never had latin in school.

I'm just saying it could be number 7. How would we ever know ? Of course it doesn't matter to us, cause we still live in it, even if this is all fake to us it's not.

Well I agree I don't think it's 7. ;)
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 5:12pm
just copy it over n google it
Heavenly_tRiNiTy View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
TEA TIME!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Heavenly_tRiNiTy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 6:14pm
I vote 4 4  ShockedThumbs Up
Cos I'm Wonderman...I'll take that knife and shove it up your a$$!
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 6:15pm
I Think Therfore I am. This states some very complicated philosophical ideas that, in short, disproves 7. Look up, "i think therfore i am" and then loook up the Anthropic principle, WIKI has a very good section on it. You need to look into it in detail though... 
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

I vote 4 4  ShockedThumbs Up

This is the most logical one and the hardest one to flaw...
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Blackfang

Originally posted by TuNA FISh

is that with super string theory?

Yes but this has many flaws, for example, if the Verses are along each string then string theory suggest's that the strings should smash together and probabilty suggest that our verse should be going bang every like 5 mins, <--- I think so anyway, but i know there are big flaws in the multiverse theory.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 9:09pm
“I didn't arrive at my understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe through my rational mind”

Albert Einstein

“Reality is merely an illusion albeit a very persistent one”

Albert Einstein

like i said, were all dillusional to a degree! we decieve ourselves on a regular basis.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 10:14pm
"God does not play dice."

-Albert Einstein

To Einstein, things had an order.  He made thi statement while expressing frustration with the randomness of Quantum Mechanics.  Which of course, is far from his well ordered view of the universe in adhering to a set group of laws.  He tried to reconcile Quantum Mechanics and Relativity until the day he died.  Today, Hawking is working on this same problem.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 11:12pm
yea i know all that Aqua lol BUT Einstein realised a lot about what i call, the human condition.

i believe we create our own thought patterns to a certain degree, therefore we all have vary'ing amounts of trouble in adding our own mental realization or lack there of as being part of the problem.

i see it something like writers block. you can think and think and your thoughts still seem to be a little clouded and then, for whatever reason? it just becomes clearer. which makes me wonder weather logic or enlightenment rules the day?

and its a lot harder to convey an exact point in writing then i ever imagined it to be lol

Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 7:05am
I had hoped this topic would stay on science.  There's so much fascinating information available today.  Most of which is just a few keystrokes away.  I particularly like HanFei's approach.  He never makes a post without doing his homework (no B.S. posts lacking back-up) and always provides links that I lose myself in for hours at a time.

I guess when the purpose of the thread doesn't match the title, this is what you get.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Aquaknot

I had hoped this topic would stay on science.  There's so much fascinating information available today.  Most of which is just a few keystrokes away.  I particularly like HanFei's approach.  He never makes a post without doing his homework (no B.S. posts lacking back-up) and always provides links that I lose myself in for hours at a time.
I guess when the purpose of the thread doesn't match the title, this is what you get.

wow? trashing both threads ay?

Han Fei does know his sh1t about certain science, but im telling you the that were more fascinating then anything out there in space!

study's on the human brain are much more helpful and interesting to me then dark energy or blackholes.

a good example would be your view of this thread. lol

learning the secrets of the universe on a gaming site over a cup of coffee would be nice Aqua, but i think your just asking a little too much of us gamers my man _-)
Team ICN
Team ICN
Shyting on CHAVS

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASHYTEBUBLExD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

Han Fei does know his sh1t about certain science, but im telling you the that were more fascinating then anything out there in space!

study's on the human brain are much more helpful and interesting to me then dark energy or blackholes.

learning the secrets of the universe on a gaming site over a cup of coffee would be nice Aqua, but i think your just asking a little too much of us gamers my man _-)

WRONG, physics & Philosophy together discuss THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS in the universe, If we understand every level of partical physics, strings for example, we wouldn't need to know about the brain when we know why everything forms ( IE ) atoms form the way they do.
String theory suggest that the vibration of the string changes what the Quark will do and therfore the atom, knowing this we could create our own atoms and mass manufacture cells and body patrs IE the brain, this is of course when we get instruments powerfull anough to interact or even see the strings. And we don't actualy have proof that the strings / membranes even exsist, we only think they do due to the equation behind it.
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 12:49pm

A believer always views the world around the human being, kinda selfish actually. An atheist usually accepted the fact that we're just one small thing in the entire universe, still extremely fascinating but compared to the whole universe, were nothing.
Studied on the human brain are interesting, yes, helpful, definately yes, but should we ever find the solution to some of the great scientific qestions, partly considering space phenomenons, the use of those studies could be HUGE. As in (for example) humans could spread around the entire universe HUGE (not reaching lightspeed, it's impossible, but wormholes; bending space-time). I think it's stupid to put on thing over the other when it's 2 completely different subjects in science.

HanFei knows this sh1t, I don't think he even has to do any homework for his amazing posts, I can clearly understand his interest. This "certain science" can be so interesting, if I had more time I would SO read more into it, learn more about space-time, quantum mechanics and whatsoever.

EDIT: For example, I always wanted to read into string theory. :)
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 1:15pm
“Todays scientists have substituted mathmatics for experiments, and they wander off equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation with reality.”

Nikola Telsa

reality is an individuals belief in what is real. we each have to determine what is real and what isn't, try'n to prove something is real to yourself requires total honesty, 0 bias and 100% rational thought, try'n to prove something is real to someone else requires the same, but is pointless unless they have simular knowledge and understanding of the subject.

there's nothing wrong with theory's as long as there treated as just that “theory's”, but when theory's are taken as fact without proper proof, bias is always the case. honesty, rationality and reality are always missing in those situations. but some people do take theory as fact until its disproven. and those people or situations are the ones i laugh at.

Science isn't a bad thing but it can be a very dangeruos thing! thermal nukes and deadly agents are the best example of that.

HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 1:22pm

[Studies] on the human brain are much more helpful and interesting to me [than] dark energy or blackholes. A good example would be your view of this thread. lollearning the secrets of the universe on a gaming site over a cup of coffee would be nice Aqua, but i think your just asking a little too much of us gamers my man _-)

If you like the mind, this is one of my favorite lectures on phantom limbs! Imagine sensations from a missing limb!!! Some women even have phantom Uterine cramps, WTF?

edit: Thanks for all of your kind posts.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by ASHYTEBUBLExD

wow? trashing both threads ay? Han Fei does know his sh1t about certain science, but im telling you the that were more fascinating then anything out there in space!study's on the human brain are much more helpful and interesting to me then dark energy or blackholes.a good example would be your view of this thread. lollearning the secrets of the universe on a gaming site over a cup of coffee would be nice Aqua, but i think your just asking a little too much of us gamers my man _-)
WRONG, physics & Philosophy together discuss THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS in the universe, If we understand every level of partical physics, strings for example, we wouldn't need to know about the brain when we know why everything forms ( IE ) atoms form the way they do.String theory suggest that the vibration of the string changes what the Quark will do and therfore the atom, knowing this we could create our own atoms and mass manufacture cells and body patrs IE the brain, this is of course when we get instruments powerfull anough to interact or even see the strings. And we don't actualy have proof that the strings / membranes even exsist, we only think they do due to the equation behind it.

WRONG? lmfao!

#1 “IF” can never be used to prove anything!
#2 string theory is just a theory therefore its mute until proven!
#3 philosofhy has nothing to do with the natural workings of the brain!
#4 is a black whole or dark energy aware of its own existance? is it possible for a black whole or dark matter to figure out what i am?
#5 you acually just helped me prove my point lol

THERE'S NOTHING KNOWN IN EXISTANCE THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THE HUMAN BRAIN! EXCEPT GOD
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2010 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Heavenly_tRiNiTy

1) ...not all animals are as socially adept (tigers live an almost solitary existence) but they evolve too.
2) If evolution is responsible for all the good things you posted then is it also responsible for the bad ones too?
3) If there is no real reason for love then are u saying that evolution introduces things without any real reason?
4) I think everything is science is proven to have a purpose. Laws and processes do [have purpose.]

1) Biological evolution does not require social groups. Populations of organisms without brains, having neural nets or no neurons, exhibit evolution over time.

2) Evolution is:
      "any change in the frequency of alleles within a gene pool from one generation to the next.” Helena Curtis and N. Sue Barnes, Biology, 5th ed. 1989.
-AND-
      “Biological evolution ...is change in the properties of populations of organisms that transcend the lifetime of a single individual.” Douglas J. Futuyma in Evolutionary Biology, 1986.
      Evolution is simply the change in a genetic system both now and over time with respect to the properties of those systems. Whether these traits are good/bad is contingent on the perspective of the viewer.

3) I don't understand.

4) If by purpose, you mean reason for being, see "causal systems." If by purpose, you mean ramification, then of course; everyone is in agreement.
[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_system[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>