Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > I'm So Smart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

SCIENCE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Team KmA
Team KmA

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCIENCE
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 7:22pm
Tiawian's health care system is at 9% of GDP and covers everyone, while the US is at 16% and does not.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89651916

There was a really cool TED talk about consciousness and the connectome today.
http://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_seung.html
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by HanFei

Tiawian's health care system is at 9% of GDP and covers everyone, while the US is at 16% and does not. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89651916 There was a really cool TED talk about consciousness and the connectome today. http://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_seung.html

yea but try'n to say that republicans are against healthcare reform is false. i'll check out the second one 4 sure.
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:44am
Speaking of science, I'm fascinated by Quantum Entanglement / nonlocality. Amazing and recently proven.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:55am
Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

Tiawian's health care system is at 9% of GDP and covers everyone, while the US is at 16% and does not. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89651916 There was a really cool TED talk about consciousness and the connectome today. http://www.ted.com/talks/sebastian_seung.html

yea but try'n to say that republicans are against healthcare reform is false. i'll check out the second one 4 sure.

I'm not a republican and I think "healthcare" reform is horrible. First off, it's not healthcare reform, it's insurance reform. This has nothing to do with the healthcare itself. Second, the Government is fully leveraged financially for the law alone. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Simple principles most of us live with on a daily basis.

HanFei, as far as Taiwan is concerned, comparing apples to oranges doesn't persuade me. The standard of living in the US far exceeds the standards in Taiwan. Our poor are considered rich by international standards. I'm all for people having luxuries, i.e., health insurance, but not at all costs, which is what is happening now. I personally don't believe that health insurance is a fundamental right, which is how it is presented in law. Fundamental rights include only the following:

Right to equal protection under the law
Right to Freedom of Thought
Right to Free Speech and Press
Right to Freedom of Association
Right to Freedom of Movement
Right to Marry
Right to Privacy
Right to Procreate
Right to Vote in General Elections
Right to Direct your own Child's Upbringing
Right to Property
Right to Bear Arms
Right to Contract

Please tell me how insurance fits on this list. Our Constitution, Bill of Rights and all other laws are based on these fundamental right. Under this law, it is not even a "Right" to own insurance. It's mandatory to own insurance. That is fundamentally against our consitution and I expect the Supreme Court is going to declare this law unconsitutional on that ground alone. Also, this is the first time in America that the Federal Government is forcing someone to purchase a consumer product. Most have compared it to car insurance, which is also madatory if you drive, however, under car insurance, you have a choice not to drive, thus it not being an entitlement or a forced consumer purchase. We don't have the choice to not live (since that is also illegal). Thererfore, health insurance is a mandate to purchase a consurmer product, not a right or entitlment.

The US strives on capitalism and simple economics. That has been the winning formula for over two hundred years. Yes, under a free market system, there are some idiots that cause problems, i.e. Bernard Madhoff, but they are far and few in between. The masses are generally prosperous. Hence why we have had the industrial revolution, the internet/technology boom, etc. etc. etc. in our country and not in anyone elses. Since our economic system rewards the individual, and it has worked for this long, I am beyond reluctant to change it to peanut butter everything over every individual in this country.

Lastly, I am not a fan of Fox News or news in general, but MSNBC is far worse than Fox News. Under this "new" socialized domocratic view, Wall Street, Big Business, Big Insurance, etc. etc. etc are all evil. Really? Aren't these the industries/companies that are making people rich by growng themselves? They have MADE America. They only HELP America grow. They EMPLOY millions. Knock these companies out and it's doomsday. We are broke. I find it absolutely comical that Democrats nowadays have the balls to even insult big business since they themselves are promoters of big business. I.e., unions. Without MASSIVE businesses, you have no employement for unions. Therefore they have no choice but to promote big business. This, my friend, is called hypocrisy. On a side note, why do we still need unions? Don't we have a robust system of laws which protects the employee? Yes we do. It's called Employment Law. It's a field on its own. The days of needing a Union are over. Unions are not doing anything to protect the workers. The laws are. So what is the benefit of spending billions a year for unions?

I believe in the individual. I came from a poor family. Put myself through university and graduated with two undergraduate degrees, Cum Laude. I put myself through law school. I graduated 8 of 321 in my class. I recieved my MBA after law school. All of my degrees are from top 20 schools. I believe we have the ability to make or break ourselves. I believe in personal accountibility. I wanted luxuries in life, so I devoted my whole life to obtain these luxuries. I work 13-15 hours a day to maintain my lifestyle. I don't believe in a free ride. What has America afforded me? ENDLESS OPPORTUNITY. I'll be damned if someone takes that away after everything I have worked so hard for.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 8:57am
well i couldn't say it any better then that Pinnacle. (The American way) Lets not turn America into some other Country! especially since America is great in so many ways. The founding fathers were so much wiser then any of our current pollititioins lol

Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 10:25am
Nice Pinakul.

You forgot the right to paired socks though.  I smell an amendment in there somewhere.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
-DaGoN- View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
I've got a bucket on me head!!!

Post Options Post Options   Quote -DaGoN- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 2:05pm
What's it with you and your socks ?? It's a bit scary. :'D
;)
B-B-BucKetHe4D !
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Pinnacle

Fundamental rights include only the following:

Right to Marry

Right to Privacy

Right to Procreate

Right to Property

Right to Bear Arms

Right to Contract

Please tell me how insurance fits on this list. Our Constitution, Bill of Rights and all other laws are based on these fundamental right. Under this law, it is not even a "Right" to own insurance. It's mandatory to own insurance. That is fundamentally against our [constitution] and I expect the Supreme Court is going to declare this law [unconstitutional] on that ground alone. Also, this is the first time in America that the Federal Government is forcing someone to purchase a consumer product. Most have compared it to car insurance, which is also [mandatory] if you drive, however, under car insurance, you have a choice not to drive, thus it not being an entitlement or a forced consumer purchase. We don't have the choice to not live (since that is also illegal). [Therefore,] health insurance is a mandate to purchase a [consumer] product, not a right or [entitlement.]

While drinking water is not in that list, we agree it is necessary for life. So too, will we all require medical care.

To clarify, I'm under the strong impression that HR 3590, Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, does not mandate purchasing health insurance. Rather, "If you don’t get health insurance, you’ll have to pay a tax penalty. An insurance-less person would have to pay whichever is greater: $695 for each uninsured family member, up to a maximum of $2,085; or 2.5 percent of household income. There are exceptions. Certain people with religious objections would not have to get health insurance. Nor would American Indians, illegal immigrants, or people in prison." - via csmonitor

Since the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act of 1986 requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency treatment (regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay) AND 55% of emergency care goes uncompensated, those who have insurance and/or pay their hospital bills are indirectly financing treatment of uncompensated emergency care. The degree to which this happens in the "pre-health insurance reform" system to be in conflict with the meritocratic paragraph at the end of the above quote.

I believe greater contribution, via HR 3590, to a system we will all use and restrictions on select cost-reducing practices the market created (like the ones below) create a more just health care system.
- lifetime and annual limits
- ending rescissions - dropping coverage of the sick
- not covering those with preexisting conditions

Sources:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0319/Health-care-reform-bill-101-Who-must-buy-insurance
http://www.acep.org/patients.aspx?id=25932
http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/healthcare-overview#healthcare-menu
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/22/health-reform-bill-summary_n_508315.html#s75159
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 3:40pm
whitehouse? lol

huffington post? lmao the #1 progressive outlet in the country!

methhead care is 864 million a year in the US

methhead crime is 4 billion a year in the US

1 in 3 people arrested in California test positive for meth

most meth comes across the border from Mexico

properly secure the border and save close to 4 billion 864 million dollars a year just on meth not counting other drugs.

properly secure the border and the cost of taking care of new illegals goes away.

properly secure the border and US citizens being kidnaped, killed or both by Mexican drug cartels goes away.

properly secure the border and the threat of terrorists comming across the border with a deadly agent or dirty bomb pretty much goes away.

Securing our border is a no brainer! Yet they still wont do it? WHY? Because there a bunch of greedy, power hungry, corrupt, BAS-TARDS thats why!                                         

Health care for everyone is something i believe in, but you have to have the money. government prduces 0 product! government produces 0 money! Yet government employee's get paid better then the the average American? It must be nice to be able to vote yourself a raise. The total amount paid to government employee's is a fortune! The social programs are a fortune! The political payouts are a fortune!

A bankrupt fk'n Country can't afford anything! fk big government!
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by -DaGoN-

;)

LOL - it all started at the beginning of this school year.  My wife teaches the kids (Home School) and I pick up all the household chores, grocery shopping, cooking and laundry during the week.

This is the first year I've been free to actually do all of it and was shocked at the state of the socks in my family.  I found an entire basket full of mismatched socks.  I've looked everywhere for the mates, even pulled out the washer and dryer.  They're gone. It's a true mystery.
-- Thomas Jefferson
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Aquaknot

Originally posted by -DaGoN-

;)
LOL - it all started at the beginning of this school year.  My wife teaches the kids and I pick up all the household chores, grocery shopping, cooking and laundry during the week.
This is the first year I've been free to actually do all of it and was shocked at the state of the socks in my family.  I found an entire basket full of mismatched socks.  I've looked everywhere for the mates, even pulled out the washer and dryer.  They're gone. It's a true mystery.

dude thats fk'n hillarious Aqua I know exactly what your talking about lol It is fk'n crazy
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Pinnacle

Fundamental rights include only the following:

Right to Marry

Right to Privacy

Right to Procreate

Right to Property

Right to Bear Arms

Right to Contract

Please tell me how insurance fits on this list. Our Constitution, Bill of Rights and all other laws are based on these fundamental right. Under this law, it is not even a "Right" to own insurance. It's mandatory to own insurance. That is fundamentally against our [constitution] and I expect the Supreme Court is going to declare this law [unconstitutional] on that ground alone. Also, this is the first time in America that the Federal Government is forcing someone to purchase a consumer product. Most have compared it to car insurance, which is also [mandatory] if you drive, however, under car insurance, you have a choice not to drive, thus it not being an entitlement or a forced consumer purchase. We don't have the choice to not live (since that is also illegal). [Therefore,] health insurance is a mandate to purchase a [consumer] product, not a right or [entitlement.]

While drinking water is not in that list, we agree it is necessary for life. So too, will we all require medical care.

To clarify, I'm under the strong impression that HR 3590, Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, does not mandate purchasing health insurance. Rather, "If you don’t get health insurance, you’ll have to pay a tax penalty. An insurance-less person would have to pay whichever is greater: $695 for each uninsured family member, up to a maximum of $2,085; or 2.5 percent of household income. There are exceptions. Certain people with religious objections would not have to get health insurance. Nor would American Indians, illegal immigrants, or people in prison." - via csmonitor

Since the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act of 1986 requires hospitals and ambulance services to provide care to anyone needing emergency treatment (regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay) AND 55% of emergency care goes uncompensated, those who have insurance and/or pay their hospital bills are indirectly financing treatment of uncompensated emergency care. The degree to which this happens in the "pre-health insurance reform" system to be in conflict with the meritocratic paragraph at the end of the above quote.

I believe greater contribution, via HR 3590, to a system we will all use and restrictions on select cost-reducing practices the market created (like the ones below) create a more just health care system.
- lifetime and annual limits
- ending rescissions - dropping coverage of the sick
- not covering those with preexisting conditions

Sources:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0319/Health-care-reform-bill-101-Who-must-buy-insurance
http://www.acep.org/patients.aspx?id=25932
http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/healthcare-overview#healthcare-menu
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/22/health-reform-bill-summary_n_508315.html#s75159

HanFei, I always appreciate your intellectual responses, but I have to thoroughly disagree with you. You are equating a consitutionally defined term, "fundamental right", with a necessity to live. If you are claiming that health insurance is equal to fundamental rights, which you've stated are equal to water, a necessity to life, we are off the beaten' path. If all boils down to two fundamental issues:

1. Our Federal Government does not currently have the monetary means to support the new "heathcare reform" law.

2. In order to pay for this, the Federal Government is going to have to take money, i.e., taxes, from the people who have enough money to pay for taxes. Then they are going to use that money to provide a product to those that can't afford it. That, my firend, is called redistribution of wealth, which is unconsitutional.

I understand that being a young democrat is very popular nowadays, primarily because it seems to be hip. But the simple fact in all of this, WE CANNOT AFFORD THIS LAW. Although it would be great that everyone is taken care of, it is an impossible and hopeless dream. It will never happen. Classes will always exist and some people will always have more than others. This is not selfish, it's fact. I give my fair portion to charity, causes, etc. However I do not ever want someone telling me where I have to spend my money.

I have yet to see anyone that supports this bill provide a valid means of financing this law without actually bankrupting the government or the public. And, no, taxing the rich is not a solution. Take that from a tax attorney.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:14pm
edit-delete, I'm not getting into this
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by JPINATOR

so the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer?
this is a bit off topic.
but in some cases poverty is first and foremost a mindstate.
you can give some poor people a million dollars and they will be back to skidrow in a few weeks.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:59pm
spending more then your taking in means broke. There's been plenty of tax dollars already so why is this country in debt? Very bad decisions by politicions thats why! go right ahead and spend more tax dollars on more government programs, our kids and grandkids will just pick up the bill.

government spending has to stop.
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by JPINATOR

edit-delete, I'm not getting into this

I saw your original comment and the answer is yes and no. The rich will get richer, by working at getting richer. The poorer will get poorer by not doing anythin about it. Mind you, I am excluding those that are not capable, i.e. disabled, etc. That class will always be taken care of by the public and I agree that they should. The truth is that rich only get richer because they generally are putting in the effort to get richer. It is not as though we have a country of rich people stealing all of the poor people's money. This misconception that rich people are evil is absolutely absurd. Granted some people have inhereited the money, but at some point in time, generally, that money was earned. One question I have for most people that complain that rich are getting richer is this: If you were rich, and you earned it, would it be acceptable to you that people think you don't deserve getting richer by your hard work? The rich getting richer is absolutely fantastic in my eyes. The problem is the few instances of jerkoff's like B. Madhoff that have gotten rich by stealing from others. A vast majority of Americans put in an honest day's work and are compensated accordingly.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:31pm
+1 for Pinnacle.  I'm writing you in on the Ballot in 2012.  We'll have to lie about your age though.

I've been poor and I've been rich (as in plenty to eat and a few toys).  Rich is better.  I've been so broke d1ck poor in my lifetime that if strangers hadn't left groceries on our porch, we wouldn't have anything to eat.

There's a handful of greedy and crooked rich who deserve to be in jail.  However, all rich people get painted with the ugly brush because of these few.

The rich folks are the ones who create jobs.  I've heard every augment to the contrary, but honestly I've never been hired by a poor person.

The government wants to tax the rich more and more, but the annual income level of who is  "rich" has been a moving target lately, the number is moving down.

The President said in response to letting the rich keep and spend their money in the economy; "guess what? They're not spending it so we're going to tax it".  Ok, great.  He is going to take the money from the rich, but in the next breath says he's going to make it easier for the rich to get other people's money with his Small Business tax initiatives.  Common sense says, if they aren't going to spend their own money, they aren't going to spend someone else's either.

There are those of us who have worked very hard to be successful.  We have created something useful, created jobs and created opportunity for others.  I don't like the attitude that the more successful I become, the more the government or others feel they have a right to participate in my success.  I took the risk.  I invested the capital.  I worked countless hours.  I went without or took on debt so I could save jobs and my staff could be paid.  I spent my 401k to create something new and better.  Yeah, I owe someone something for that- grrrr...

Riddle me this... if the top 2% of tax payers in America pay over 70% of all taxes collected, how much should they pay?  I already pay six figures in income tax.  How much is enough?
-- Thomas Jefferson
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 7:45pm
As far as spending habits mentioned above, you can't stand center stage telling people they need to be responsible with their debt and to not spend beyond their means and then drive the national debt from an already enormous 1.3 Trillion dollars to a massive 13.8 Trillion dollars in a period of just 24 months.  In other words, don't take your inherited problem and multiply it by 10.  That's just stupid.

Do the math.  1,000,000,000,000 dollars is enough money to give every human being who has lived and died in the past 2,000 years and check for $1,000.  So, the sweet baby Jesus get's a check for $1,000 and so does everyone else right up to the newborn baby at your local hospital.   How many trillion will it be next year?  That's a lot of cheese.

Simple math seems to be the problem lately.  Someone needs to sharpen their pencil.
-- Thomas Jefferson
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:20pm
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:26pm
Very cool graphic, I'm going to have to display it on the projector tomorrow and take a look at the whole picture.

I never like adjusting current or future dollars against the past for inflation.  Todays dollars are todays dollars.  Looking back to compare what todays dollars would have been in the past is interesting though.  Maybe as a percent of total tax revenue for each period would make more sense or at least be more meaningful to the lay person.

As a business person, I like to compare debt to income on a real time cash basis.  Zero base accounting and budgeting is the best form IMO.  You justify the dollars collected before they are spent.  Keeps you out of trouble.

*Heavily edited
-- Thomas Jefferson
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:36pm
The great thing is people are starting to wake up and realise whats really going on. I don't trust either party at this point because of the Bush/Cheany spending. We need a guy like Tim Pawlenty! Minnasota is still doing real good even in this economy. Why is that? because Its governed by someone who can acually govern thats why! I watch every program Tim Pawlenty goes on. He turned down government money because it had preconditions. His response was “Minnasota can do it better”

The only way Tim Pawlenty wont be our next president is if people really are Homer Simpsons like the progressives say they are.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 9:38pm

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic. http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg

whats your point Han Fei? if its Bush/Cheaney spending and increasing the debt? were in agreement there. BUT John Mcain tried to stop the housing and banking crises that led to the stimulious package! and Bush warned about it but didn't stop it. corrupt democrats like Chris Dddd and Barney Frank were acually a part of it though.

Obama has already spent more then anyone else, and he wants to spend a whole lot more!
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 10:44pm

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic.
http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg
whats your point Han Fei? if its Bush/Cheaney spending and increasing the debt? were in agreement there. BUT John Mcain tried to stop the housing and banking crises that led to the stimulious package! and Bush warned about it but didn't stop it. corrupt democrats like Chris Dddd and Barney Frank were acually a part of it though. Obama has already spent more then anyone else, and he wants to spend a whole lot more!

No direction, just wanted to add data to the discussion. Our senators and representatives create the budget, The president just signs it. Once we realized the Subprime housing lending and massive CDOs were going on, there is little to be done, since sooooo many loans had already been made.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 11:11pm

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic. http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg
whats your point Han Fei? if its Bush/Cheaney spending and increasing the debt? were in agreement there. BUT John Mcain tried to stop the housing and banking crises that led to the stimulious package! and Bush warned about it but didn't stop it. corrupt democrats like Chris Dddd and Barney Frank were acually a part of it though. Obama has already spent more then anyone else, and he wants to spend a whole lot more!
No direction, just wanted to add data to the discussion. Our senators and representatives create the budget, The president just signs it. Once we realized the Subprime housing lending and massive CDOs were going on, there is little to be done, since sooooo many loans had already been made.

neither point is correct. the president works with his party leaders and advisers and decides on his annual budget. he then submits it to congress.

Mcain was on to the developing crises long before it acually became a crises! he argued in the senate that something has to be done, but Barney Frank argued that Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were fine. i seen the senate tape.

Barney Frank was litteraly sleeping with a guy who worked at Fannie Mai, Chris Dodd was chairman of the banking commitee. They both recieved a lot of campaign money from both company's. Biggest scam in history and no one got in trouble?

When those two are out of the senate i bet they get some very high paying jobs lol
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:02am

Below, is a cool, albeit too large infographic.
http://photos.webridestv.com/datastore/images/user/db191f25c36fd2dee1b6555a6e91cfe0/Death_and_Taxes_USA_Federal_Budget_64262_20080424.jpg

For reference, subprime lending began in the Carter administration when Carter urged Congress to pass a law which relaxed bank loaning practices. Reagan suffered the repercussion of this when the Savings and Loan banks all collapsed due to strict competition from national banks.. We've known this for over 30 years. Now it becomes an issue? The reason noone made an issue about this in the past three decades is because banks began to profit like never before. That equated to more government inccome through business taxes. What did the government do to alleviate this mess? They raised taxes on business to reap the benefit of the higher profits. What is the first thing Reagan do to fix this problem? He lowered taxes on businesses to ease the burden they were carrying, which led to one of the biggest decades of growth with extremely low unemployment numbers. Mr. Clinton came in and eased the bank regulations even more. What did he do? He raised taxes to reap the benefits. What happens next? The banks started suffering, unemployment rose and the housing bubble burst. Sound familiar?

By the way, none of my posts are directed at you HanFei. You are a very smart guy and have valid views. I'm just responding in the alternate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>