Forum Home Forum Home > Other Video Games > Killzone 3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews, Previews and other Goodies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews, Previews and other Goodies
    Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:39pm

HANDS ON: KILLZONE 3 BETA by Tuffcub

I will be the first to admit that I am generally a bit naff at shooters, in particular the Call of Duty series which to me just does not ‘feel’ right as you skip and float across the landscape like you have helium heels. Killzone 2 was too skewed the other way and felt too heavy, as if you were wearing iron amour, but the first thing I noticed about Killzone 3 is that the character’s weight has been tweaked further, making your fighter slightly lighter and nimble but still weighty enough to feel like a real person.

So, the beta: it looks fantastic, the sound has been jammed up to 11 and everything you know and love from Killzone 2 is there but with two year’s worth of extra polish. Join me as we become cheeky schoolboys and lift the skirt of this Killzone 3 multiplayer taster and have a peak at her panties. Or something.

kz3_1

The New Classes:
There have been some minor tweaks to the old Killzone 2 favourites; The Engineer no longer has the shotgun, that now belongs to the Infiltrator (A.K.A. Saboteur) and the Medic now has his own medic-drone.

Each class now has three levels per perk rather than Killzone 2’s single perk. For example the Engineer can now make turrets, then construct turrets with rockets with the final upgrade granting an ability to hack enemy turrets and turn them against their owners. Other tweaks include a fully perked Marksman now having an infinite cloak and suprisingly, the Tactician has lost the ability to drop spawn points.

Kill streaks, XP and Badges:
The XP is system is the biggest change from Killzone 2. You no longer score one point for a kill you score one hundred points, score fifty for a turret kill, twenty-five for an assisted kill, repairs and healing grant you fifty. On top of this Killzone now has kill streaks but getting five kills in a row does not grant you the ability to launch a stupidly powerful nuke at the enemy, it simply increase the score you get for a kill.

Badges are no longer awarded at the end of a match but now pop up during the game with the added benefit of becoming mini perks. One is “Silent Steps” which gives your Helghan warrior a pair of invisible pink fluffy bunny slippers so he can creep up behind an enemy without being heard.

At the end of the match the game summary will list your achievements and you will gain extra XP for having the most kills, the most headshots etc. Your total XP is then added up and as you score moves up so does your rank.

In Killzone 2 you had to reach a certain rank to unlock a character – for example you had to rack up a good few hours playtime before you could unlock the Saboteur. In the Beta all classes are unlocked but their default perks are pretty weak. As you progress through the ranks you gain unlock points and you can spend these on any of the classes and unlock the abilities in the order you chose. You can also unlock new weapons and secondary weapons.

kz3_2

The New Maps:
One thing that has always annoyed me about most multi player games – Killzone 2 included – is that the maps are pretty much symmetrical. This is obviously done so no team has the upper hand. The Killzone 3 maps are not, they are massive, multi layered sprawling terrains with hundreds or places you to creep up behind the enemy and stab them in the head. The Beta multi player map is set on a dam and you can run about on the decking, on the frozen seas or inside the building itself.

Sound:
Like everything else this has had a few tweaks. The guns are now louder and punchy and the sound is occluded perfectly – in other words if you are outside a building and someone is inside then you hear muffled shots. There replacement Helghast commander sounds rather generic compared to Visari’s menacing voice but that may be a place holder actor.

When standing next to the sea the waves crash and the wind howls across the landscape setting the scene perfectly. Making a welcome return is the familiar “Tweeki!” noise when you score a kill and the drones and turrets sound the same as ever.

2010-08-19_corinth-highway_08

Graphics:
Killzone 3 will be joining Gran Turismo 5 and Uncharted 2 in the fight for ‘best looking PS3 game ever’. The dam level features constantly swirling snow and it looks like snow – not white dots or squares. Massive waves crash upon the sea shore and you leave footprints across the drifts. All the classes have been redesigned and the new melee kill animations are wonderful – nothing like creeping up behind someone and stabbing them in the eye!

The Corinth Highway map that can be played as a single player vs. Bots game is drenched in oranges and yellows and in the distance a massive mechanical quadruped can be seem stomping a city to dust. Jet craft streak overhead bringing the map to life. Remember when playing Uncharted 2 you sometimes just stopped and gazed at the gorgeous view? You will do that in Killzone 3.

One thing Killzone 3 does is show up just how old and creaky the Unreal engine has become. I booted up ‘Transformers: War For Cybertron’ after playing Killzone 3 and it looks terrible in comparison.

Summary
All the improvements are actual improvements and not change for change sake. It looks stunning, sounds brilliant and as quite of lot of you are about to find out, plays like a dream.

Do remember this is a Beta and there are one or two bugs all of which have been reported back to Guerrilla who are busy fixing them. These are minor glitches and will be fixed before release, Killzone 3 will not contain moonwalking dogs or twisty-headed devil men.

Personally I cannot wait until February when the full game comes out, Killzone 3 is an absolute day one purchase for me and as I said at the top, I really can’t stand shooters.

See you on Helghan

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:47pm

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:53pm
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 3:55pm
Feel free to add content to this thread. Let's help make KZ3 the most anticipated game of 2011!!!!
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 3:14pm
Hey Bain, I got a friend of mine on my list who is a hardcore Killzone fanatic. He actually got to talk to one of the developers himself. So if anything big gets changes or patched with the beta Ill send you a message about it or post it here.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 4:02pm
nice Helscream!
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 9:31am
Yeah, sounds good just as long as it's not news that the game is being delayed to June or something, lol.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 2:43pm
no, that would be Gran Tourismo lol
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 12:17pm
Just got my public beta invite. I'll try to post a review when I get done playing.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 2:57am
Well it looks like KZ3 is going to be one hell of a game. The beta is nice!!! Awesome graphics, really cool melee attacks, redesigned skill point interface and even some giant robot attack machines. Haven't got to use the jet pack yet, maybe tomorrow. If you liked KZ2 I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Do_Or_Die_420 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 3:01am

I was too addicted too UT3 too give K2 a chance...Handled the campaign but only played it online for like 35 mins...One thing i didnt like was the controls for the game..Definately will be pickin up K3...Graphics look disgusting!

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 3:09am

You will be able to fully customize the controls in KZ3 just like UT3. Great clan support also. Check the Killzone website. It's got some great features. You can even watch replays of all the games you've played.

Do_Or_Die_420 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
Rocket Scientist

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do_Or_Die_420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 3:15am

Good $h!t...Bein able to change the controls around is a good look...Part of the reason why i didnt get into the online multiplayer...

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:24pm
There's a new game mode in the beta called "Operations". Your team has to perform certain tasks and if you're one of the top scorers for that task you get featured in the cut scenes that are shown between the tasks. 
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:20pm

This looks like it's from single player mode but you can do these same melee attacks in multiplayer.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:25pm
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:28pm
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:44pm

Helghast Pre-order Edition!!!

On February 22, 2011, Killzone 3 will storm US store shelves in more ways than one. Killzone 3 will be available in a limited Helghast Edition as well as the standard edition.

The Killzone 3 Helghast Edition ($129.99) is a must-have for the fans. This one-of-a-kind set features a collectible replica of a Helghast Helmet containing an art book, Super Voucher and the Killzone 3 game with bonus content. Also included is an exclusive Cloaking Helghast Marksman action figure created by DC Unlimited, that will not be sold anywhere else.

Features
  • Authentic Helghast Helmet replica opens to reveal art book, Super Voucher and Killzone 3 game.
  • Exclusive Cloaking Helghast Marksman action figure is 6.5” tall with multiple articulation points and will not be sold at retail
  • Includes bonus video content giving you a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the game.
  • Exclusive art book featuring imagery from the Killzone universe
  • Super Voucher includes
    • Killzone 3 soundtrack & PS3 dynamic theme
    • Retro Map Pack featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2
    • Double XP for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay
    • Full access to all weapons and abilities for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay

Download packs are also available separately if you’d rather pre-order the standard edition Killzone 3 at one of the proceeding retailers.

Guerrilla Pack (available by pre-ordering from GameStop)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a GameStop Exclusive PSN code unlocking all multiplayer weapons and abilities for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay giving you a temporary edge in the online battlefield. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2.

Fast Starter Pack (available by pre-ordering from Best Buy)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive a BestBuy Exclusive PSN code allowing you to rank up faster, as you earn XP at double the normal rate for the first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

Unlock and Load Pack (available by pre-ordering from Amazon)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an Amazon.com Exclusive PSN code and get instant access to 3 Unlock Points to use on the weapon or ability of your choice such as the Marksman’s Sniper Rifle and get the early edge in Killzone 3 Multiplayer. Also includes the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack.

Retro Map Pack (available by pre-ordering from other participating retailers)
Pre-order Killzone 3 and receive an exclusive PSN code giving you the Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack, featuring two of the most popular maps from Killzone 2. Also receive an exclusive PlayStation 3 Dynamic Theme.

Killzone 3 will be available in the US on February 22, 2011 for $59.99 and the Helghast Edition will be available on the same date for $129.99.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:45pm
For our European Friends:

When we announced that the US would get a standard and a Helghast Edition of Killzone 3, the question we received the most was “Will Europe get a Helghast Edition as well?” We’re happy to confirm that this will indeed be the case – in fact, Europe will have three Killzone 3 editions to choose from!

Aside from the Standard Edition, there will also be a Collector’s Edition in “SteelBook” packaging. It includes a PlayStation Network voucher code that can be redeemed for a downloadable copy of the Killzone 3 soundtrack and the dynamic XMB theme, as well as a Retro Map Pack that brings two battlefields from Killzone 2 back into the fight.

And that’s not all! If you pre-order the Collector’s Edition through participating retailers, you will receive an additional voucher code for one of the following pre-order bonus packs. (We’ll update our pre-order page with retailers and pre-order offers as they become available, so check back often.)

• Guerrilla Pack
    Unlocks all weapons and abilities for your first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay.

• Fast Starter Pack
    Lets you rise through the ranks faster by earning experience points at twice the normal rate for your first 24 hours of multiplayer gameplay.

• Unlock & Load Pack
    Gives you 3 unlock points to use on any weapon or ability you want.

Not bad, eh? Of course, the true pièce de résistance is the Helghast Edition, which comes in a hand-decorated Helghast helmet and includes everything from the “SteelBook” Collector’s Edition, as well as a 100-page hardbound art book, an exclusive “cloaking” marksman action figure from DC Unlimited and all of the aforementioned pre-order bonus packs. We have one of these bad boys in our office right now, and it looks even better than we’d hoped.

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 2:37pm
Bally_Man View Drop Down
Ultra Member
Ultra Member

i duck clan matches

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bally_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 9:12pm
sniper class is amazing n i like medic aswell! feels so much better than the last one! my only moan is there dosent seem to be any new guns??
EU warfare is DEAD! buster killed it on my account with 1hand real talk
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:37pm
Yeah, I've been doing Tactician mostly. I like to be able to "mark" the enemies. Some of the handguns seem new. I like having the ability to carry two rifles if you want.
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:38am
Originally posted by BAIN

I freaking swear to God, if that is the homo voice in multiplayer I will f***ing loose it. That is call of doody ****, I will obliterate everyone i swear it.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 1:33am
LOL. No, I think that's the voice of the player whose point of view we were seeing. They had basically the same command voices in multiplyer as in KZ2.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:41pm
Remember to Pre-Order from Gamestop, Best Buy or Amazon to get the Retro Map Pack and codes to level up faster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>