Forum Home Forum Home > ANNOUNCEMENTS > General Annoucements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

NAT type 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAT type 2
    Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 12:22pm
I been talking a little about this in the ACB tread but i want to put it up here for everyone one to see. Hopefully some people might have done theirs and will be able to help some others set up theres. Ok so if you have been having some connecting issues or hosting issues this is prob were your prob is. When you run a connection test on your PS3/Xbox and get a NAT type 3 you should get a msg somewhere on your screen saying this type is limited and you may have trouble connecting, chatting and (something else i believe) in some games. I think the most recent would be ACB and Black Ops. You need to have NAT type 2. This is an open NAT and always request from your PS3/Xbox to pass back and forth to others and the network without being blocked by your router or modem firewall. So if you have any questions on yours or any help for people please post here.

* for all you tech people who know what your doing please don't bash my explanation of this stuff. I know some stuff but not a lot. So this is some of the stuff i found as i was looking around, but please feel free to make a better explanation if you want or correct anything i have. Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully we can help some others.
Milly View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 12:34pm
So the first thing you should check is make sure your UPnP is enabled on your PS3, router and modem. This is usually just a check box in your settings. After changing this setting make sure you power cycle your router and modem. I heard this should works for 99% of people, but im not sure how accurate that is.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:32pm
Glossary
  • DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)
    Short for demilitarized zone, a computer or small subnetwork that sits between a trusted internal network, such as a corporate private LAN, and an untrusted external network, such as the public Internet.
  • MAC Address (Media Access Control Address)
    Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network medium. Consequently, each different type of network medium requires a different MAC layer.
  • NAT (Network Address Translation)
    Short for Network Address Translation, an Internet standard that enables a local-area network (LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set of addresses for external traffic. A NAT box located where the LAN meets the Internet makes all necessary IP address translations.
  • Port
    In TCP/IP and UDP networks, an endpoint to a logical connection. The port number identifies what type of port it is. For example, port 80 is used for HTTP traffic.
  • Port Range Forward
    An interface on a computer to which you can connect a device. Personal computers have various types of ports. Internally, there are several ports for connecting disk drives, display screens, and keyboards. Externally, personal computers have ports for connecting modems, printers, mice, and other peripheral devices.
  • Static IP
    Generally refers to elements of the Internet or computer programming that are fixed and not capable of action or change. The opposite of static is dynamic.
  • TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
    Abbreviation of Transmission Control Protocol, and pronounced as separate letters. TCP is one of the main protocols in TCP/IP networks. Whereas the IP protocol deals only with packets, TCP enables two hosts to establish a connection and exchange streams of data. TCP guarantees delivery of data and also guarantees that packets will be delivered in the same order in which they were sent.
  • UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
    Abbreviated UDP, a connectionless protocol that, like TCP, runs on top of IP networks. Unlike TCP/IP, UDP/IP provides very few error recovery services, offering instead a direct way to send and receive datagrams over an IP network. It's used primarily for broadcasting messages over a network.
  • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)
    Short for Universal Plug and Play, a networking architecture that provides compatibility among networking equipment, software and peripherals of the 400+ vendors that are part of the Universal Plug and Play Forum.
Different PS3 NAT Types and Meanings (Generalized)
  • NAT Type 1
    You are either NOT behind a router/firewall OR you have already DMZ enabled your PS3. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
  • NAT Type 2
    Your PS3 is connected to a router. Your PS3 is connected properly and you shouldn't run into any issues.
  • NAT Type 3
    You are behind a router/firewall. While your PS3 may be able to connect to the PSN and perform downloads/updates other functions may not work as intended.
How to find out your NAT Type

To find out your PS3s NAT Type simply go to:
Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Test
You'll be disconnected from the PSN while you perform your test. Once complete you'll know which NAT Type your PS3 is.
Milly View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Milly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 3:06pm
For some people you may need to put your modem in bridge mode. In some cases your modem may actually be a modem/router even tho it only has one output. So when you put your modem in bridge mode you are bypassing the router part of your modem and making it just a modem and letting your router do its job as the router. After putting your modem in bridge mode make sure you have all your security and firewall setting correct and on, on your router and anything connected to your router. 
 Post Reply Post Reply