FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Netbook Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Netbook Help
    Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:12am
Hey guys I need some help with a purchase.

I'm debating between a laptop, a netbook, or a tablet Cry

I really don't know what to do.

Laptop I'm looking a the Dell XPZs (I'd dual boot it with Ubuntu 11.04)

A netbook I'm looking at an ASUS 1015XP.

I'm also considering buying the Amazon Kindle Fire and a Netbook. Vs just the XPZ

I do alot of note taking and public speaking.
I don't need an amazing GFX card but I'd prefer a decent one.
I don't want to spend more than $700
I am a college student.
Ubuntu is a must for me Smile (almost considered an inspiron duo but the battery life is trash)

Feedback would be appreciated Tongue
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:30am
Honestly, get a laptop bro.
Tablets are cool, great interface and easy to use.
Good for more multi media and quick web searching.
Laptops u obviously get more power, good but not great portability and many more options for programs versus apps.
Really never understood the netbook thing... Just a poop version of a laptop, lol
If your using it for just note taking, and general web search's, id get a decent tablet. Ipad or a android running 2.2 or higher
But if u need something for school as well, get u a laptop. I have an acer that cost $250
and it runs just as good as my brothers $750 HP. Should
i be looking into ubuntu?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
puertoRICAN View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Luci's Pimp

Post Options Post Options   Quote puertoRICAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:32am
Also, im buying a kindle fire for a family member this x-mas
And maybe myself, all that for $199 is a hell of a deal, and i seen reviews, looks like a great product
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAYGqjcGEE&feature=youtu.be
Watch in 720P....duh
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:39am
Originally posted by puertoRICAN

Honestly, get a laptop bro.
Tablets are cool, great interface and easy to use.
Good for more multi media and quick web searching.
Laptops u obviously get more power, good but not great portability and many more options for programs versus apps.
Really never understood the netbook thing... Just a poop version of a laptop, lol
If your using it for just note taking, and general web search's, id get a decent tablet. Ipad or a android running 2.2 or higher
But if u need something for school as well, get u a laptop. I have an acer that cost $250
and it runs just as good as my brothers $750 HP. Should
i be looking into ubuntu?
Idk depends on you.
You can try it out and if you don't like it dont use it lol
I have both windows 7 and ubuntu.
I only use win 7 for gaming or oovoo haha

I'm probably leaning towards the fire and a cheap laptop. with maybe 3 ram.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:36am
11" MacBook Air - or go bigger/better - like MacBook Pro

Intel dual-core i5
4Gb RAM
SSD (all flash memory = lightning fast boot & loads)
HD Graphics by Intel
Optional external super drive

Add "VMWare Fusion 4" and say goodbye to dual boot forever.  Fusion allows concurrent operating systems and works with over 200 flavors of OS.  You can run OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side and "alt+tab" between the open apps in each OS.  Pretty cool.

I do some heavy lifting with development and graphics, so I traded an 18.4" HP laptop with BlueRay and 1080p for a 15" MacBook Pro with an Intel i7 and 8Gb RAM.  I ordered the matte finish screen.  I'm running Windows 7 for the database development apps I need along side OS X Lion.

I've owned countless personal computers and Laptops since they've existed and can honestly say; this is by far the most superior piece of technology I have ever owned.  I'll never go back to PC. (shhh... don't tell anyone, but I've been a member of the Microsoft Developer Network for 10 years Dead)

If you must stick with PC, I would recommend a laptop over a netbook due to power, speed and future use.  I can also recommend HP over Dell.  We used to buy all Dell products for the business but their quality went in the toilet and we switched to HP products.  Never looked back.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:14am
Get an Alienware and we'll do some real talk Phantaci.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
Crucial Sport 16GB 1866 RAM
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Kit 1M
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Aquaknot

11" MacBook Air - or go bigger/better - like MacBook Pro

Intel dual-core i5
4Gb RAM
SSD (all flash memory = lightning fast boot & loads)
HD Graphics by Intel
Optional external super drive

Add "VMWare Fusion 4" and say goodbye to dual boot forever.  Fusion allows concurrent operating systems and works with over 200 flavors of OS.  You can run OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side and "alt+tab" between the open apps in each OS.  Pretty cool.

I do some heavy lifting with development and graphics, so I traded an 18.4" HP laptop with BlueRay and 1080p for a 15" MacBook Pro with an Intel i7 and 8Gb RAM.  I ordered the matte finish screen.  I'm running Windows 7 for the database development apps I need along side OS X Lion.

I've owned countless personal computers and Laptops since they've existed and can honestly say; this is by far the most superior piece of technology I have ever owned.  I'll never go back to PC. (shhh... don't tell anyone, but I've been a member of the Microsoft Developer Network for 10 years Dead)

If you must stick with PC, I would recommend a laptop over a netbook due to power, speed and future use.  I can also recommend HP over Dell.  We used to buy all Dell products for the business but their quality went in the toilet and we switched to HP products.  Never looked back.
That's what i've been thinking about doing.
Take a lil longer to save but in the meantime I'll have my amazon Kindle.

The mac air is so sexy :(
But I'll probably hit up a mac book Smile
Unless they release  an amazing ultrabook.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:39pm
I think the second generation MacBook Air just came out, or is about to.

The MacBook pro is a powerhouse for sure, but if you plan to use it for a lot of gaming, better stick to the PC.  For some reason the HD Intel Graphics chips for Mac don't handle Direct X very well (even when booted in to Windows).  Must be a PC thing.  If PC games are your intent, I would research this first.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 9:11pm

I think the second generation MacBook Air just came out, or is about to.

The MacBook pro is a powerhouse for sure, but if you plan to use it for a lot of gaming, better stick to the PC.  For some reason the HD Intel Graphics chips for Mac don't handle Direct X very well (even when booted in to Windows).  Must be a PC thing.  If PC games are your intent, I would research this first.

Which PC would you recommend?
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:05pm
I think any i7 in an HP laptop would do.  Most of the mid-level laptops now handle 1080p on screen and have HDMI out.  Just remember that you can't have too much RAM.  I always buy whatever it is configured with and then order the max from newegg.com.  If you can get SSD, that's the way to go.  You can also order an SSD and use the original platter drive as onboard storage for music, vids, etc. or drop it in an external drive case.

As for desktops, HP also makes plenty of i5 and i7 mid-towers at a reasonable price.  If you're not doing 3d animation or heavy graphics, the i5 is plenty.  For gaming, it's really about the video card.  DO NOT get anything with integrated video.

I have a couple of extremely heavy duty video cards laying around, both Dual Link DVI and HDMI support.  I would be happy to send one to you.  One is the ATI 5870.  I can't recall the other, but its also a beast.  They both require their own power connection.  One can run 3 monitors and the other can run up to 30, or a jumbo-tron.

When I started breaking down and scrapping my PCs and going to Mac, I thought I better save a few parts Wink

Edit:  If you do get a desktop, look for something with 500W or greater power supply.  This is so it can handle nexgen graphics cards as they come out.  My last box had 750W, which was plenty.  It usually ran around 116W until I put a game in, then would jump to over 350w as the video cards drew power.

All of the above is the way to do it "on the cheap" and still get great results.  Otherwise, just buy a pre-configured AlienWare and have a blast.

-- Thomas Jefferson
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:12pm

I think any i7 in an HP laptop would do.  Most of the mid-level laptops now handle 1080p on screen and have HDMI out.  Just remember that you can't have too much RAM.  I always buy whatever it is configured with and then order the max from newegg.com.  If you can get SSD, that's the way to go.  You can also order an SSD and use the original platter drive as onboard storage for music, vids, etc. or drop it in an external drive case.

As for desktops, HP also makes plenty of i5 and i7 mid-towers at a reasonable price.  If you're not doing 3d animation or heavy graphics, the i5 is plenty.  For gaming, it's really about the video card.  DO NOT get anything with integrated video.

I have a couple of extremely heavy duty video cards laying around, both Dual Link DVI and HDMI support.  I would be happy to send one to you.  One is the ATI 5870.  I can't recall the other, but its also a beast.  They both require their own power connection.  One can run 3 monitors and the other can run up to 30, or a jumbo-tron.

When I started breaking down and scrapping my PCs and going to Mac, I thought I better save a few parts Wink

Edit:  If you do get a desktop, look for something with 500W or greater power supply.  This is so it can handle nexgen graphics cards as they come out.  My last box had 750W, which was plenty.  It usually ran around 116W until I put a game in, then would jump to over 350w as the video cards drew power.

All of the above is the way to do it "on the cheap" and still get great results.  Otherwise, just buy a pre-configured AlienWare and have a blast.

Dang is the ATI 5870 better than the 9800 GTX i have right now?

And that ATI 5870 is for desktops right?

I don't plan on buying a desktop anytime soon, probably just build upon the one wopr sent. But a laptop I'm all ears when its come to suggestions.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:15am
I think the ATI 5870 is better, but it's been some time since I've compared.  I have a GTX 8800 stuffed in a box around here somewhere as well.

Ok, I did some fresh research on laptops.  This one is probably the most powerful laptop civilians can buy.  Alienware has some close, but this is over the top, as you'll see in the description.  This one is a true desktop replacement.  I used to have an 18.4" HP configured similarly.

This next one is a great alternative.  I got this for my daughter with an i7 processor and 8Gb RM a few weeks ago.  She uses it for Photoshop, online gaming and Skype for her Japanese classes.  She usually has it attached to a 32" LED LCD TV in her room though to watch Blue Ray movies.

The downside of buying a laptop to accomodate high resolution games is that you need to be around 17" for it to make sense.  Go to BestBuy and compare a 1080p 15" and 17" laptop side-by-side.  Both are high resolution, but the 15" text, etc. will be very tiny.

Next problems are size, weight and heat.  High performance laptops are simply big, heavy and hot bricks to carry around.  If you actually use a high performance laptop in your lap, generally the processor will burn a hole in your favorite jeans.  Another issue is that the higher performance machines require more power, which means a larger power block in the cord.

The best way for you to determine what to get is to go to the shops and compare them in person.  Once you've done that, research actual user reviews on sites like epinion or similar.

Good luck!
-- Thomas Jefferson
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 9:10am
Thanks man, I'll probably end up getting the envy.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:48am

I think the ATI 5870 is better, but it's been some time since I've compared.  I have a GTX 8800 stuffed in a box around here somewhere as well.

Ok, I did some fresh research on laptops.  This one is probably the most powerful laptop civilians can buy.  Alienware has some close, but this is over the top, as you'll see in the description.  This one is a true desktop replacement.  I used to have an 18.4" HP configured similarly.

This next one is a great alternative.  I got this for my daughter with an i7 processor and 8Gb RM a few weeks ago.  She uses it for Photoshop, online gaming and Skype for her Japanese classes.  She usually has it attached to a 32" LED LCD TV in her room though to watch Blue Ray movies.

The downside of buying a laptop to accomodate high resolution games is that you need to be around 17" for it to make sense.  Go to BestBuy and compare a 1080p 15" and 17" laptop side-by-side.  Both are high resolution, but the 15" text, etc. will be very tiny.

Next problems are size, weight and heat.  High performance laptops are simply big, heavy and hot bricks to carry around.  If you actually use a high performance laptop in your lap, generally the processor will burn a hole in your favorite jeans.  Another issue is that the higher performance machines require more power, which means a larger power block in the cord.

The best way for you to determine what to get is to go to the shops and compare them in person.  Once you've done that, research actual user reviews on sites like epinion or similar.

Good luck!

That Eon17 beated the crap out of that X51 from Alienware in ANY possible way :O
Holy crackemoly, up to 24GB DDR3? Dude, who has that xD?
Very good laptop. There should be up to now anything it cannot run :O
Dual Nvidia SLI is always a killer. I would personally go for 1 videocard though.
ATI Radeon 9900 is the best now imo. Two of those would mean unstoppable gaming power. :O

The heated up processor can be fixed by replacing the CPU-fan. Np. There are fans with more power and cool better then the standard ones.
Or have a foldable laptop-cooler around, like I have as well. Fixes another heat issue.

The power chord could be the only issue I see so far.

Anywayz, good laptop, good price as well :O Its a little more expensive then the most tho.
But still. Good shiat.

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 11:09am
Yeah, that's a beast for sure.  Problem is heat and weight.  Not to mention cost.
-- Thomas Jefferson
-CYAN1DE- View Drop Down
Team NbK
Team NbK

Post Options Post Options   Quote -CYAN1DE- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 7:55am
A laptop, netbook or tablet. Hmmmm, it depends on what you want to do, really..
Gaming, webbrowsing, media..
If i where you, i would have bought a $1000 "gaming" laptop such as Asus G70-80 i7/HD6870 (new updated versions) if your budget allows it ofcourse.. that way you got the power of a desktop with the space of a laptop, and hardware based these laptops will do for another 2-3 years and definatley do not perform less than a dell-X or an alienware and not spending 2000+ for one.
All with all it comes down to my first sentence.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by -CYAN1DE-

A laptop, netbook or tablet. Hmmmm, it depends on what you want to do, really..
Gaming, webbrowsing, media..
If i where you, i would have bought a $1000 "gaming" laptop such as Asus G70-80 i7/HD6870 (new updated versions) if your budget allows it ofcourse.. that way you got the power of a desktop with the space of a laptop, and hardware based these laptops will do for another 2-3 years and definatley do not perform less than a dell-X or an alienware and not spending 2000+ for one.
All with all it comes down to my first sentence.

If I had a $1000,- I would NOT buy an Asus. I would NOT buy a Dell. I would not NOT buy a HP.
I would even NOT buy any stock laptop. If your smart with computers you would build your own custom one. Starting Alienware or Origin. Regardless of if its a laptop or a desktop. 
Advantages: More warranty, more discount, more personalty, even a chance of getting free peripherals with your custom :3 Disadvantages: None. 
You cannot fail in a bad build. Every smart hardware manufacturer will let it know when a custom build pc is not compatible with the chosen hardware.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
 Post Reply Post Reply