FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Question!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question!
    Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 11:31pm
Will upgrading to 8GB of ram help out Windows 7 or Ubuntu?
Is it worth it?
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:03am
Depends on your needs, upgrading ram is essentially making your computer more capable at running more things at once. It will not however make your games run faster or increase PC speed. If you think you need more ram use the Resource Monitor Tool in windows 7 to see if your computer is lacking in that department. Basically if you do a lot at once and need a lot of applications open while doing things like gaming etc. then it is worth it.

ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:09am
Originally posted by YINYANG

Depends on your needs, upgrading ram is essentially making your computer more capable at running more things at once. It will not however make your games run faster or increase PC speed. If you think you need more ram use the Resource Monitor Tool in windows 7 to see if your computer is lacking in that department. Basically if you do a lot at once and need a lot of applications open while doing things like gaming etc. then it is worth it.
when on windows, my ram is eaten alive... I have 64 bit, so I think I will increase it.
When using the latest 32 bit of ubuntu, my ram is barely touched.
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:10am
Ubuntu = Google
Windows = Yahoo

;)

ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:11am
:o
What does mac equal lol.
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:14am
Who cares about macs, they make enough money off hipsters. NOW LOOK AT MY QUESTION I HAVE IN THE WARFARE THREAD ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEE.

Phenethylamine View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phenethylamine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:21am
Macs=Hipster facebook browsing machine
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:33am

Who cares about macs, they make enough money off hipsters. NOW LOOK AT MY QUESTION I HAVE IN THE WARFARE THREAD ANSWER MEEEEEEEEEE.
penguin normally streams using twitch I think.
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 1:23am
**** i forgot the link to penguins twitch stream, is it pengw1n? All I remember from his channel is that he made me mod and I banned CS like 4 times.

Phenethylamine View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phenethylamine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 1:29am

**** i forgot the link to penguins twitch stream, is it pengw1n? All I remember from his channel is that he made me mod and I banned CS like 4 times.
LOL, that was my livestream acct, but I recently switched to twitch.tv, the link is  http://www.twitch.tv/pengw1n but i also always post when im about to stream  :P
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 1:44am
Something is up with my windows, maybe its because its not genuine? Or maybe I have a virus idk.
But when i run illfonic's version of nexuiz on Low....
I get between 20-120 FPS (windows)
When I run classic Nexuiz on medium I get 230 FPS (ubuntu)
When i run classic nexuiz on high I get (90 FPS)
On ubuntu its stable and if there is any drop its 5 to 10 fps, not 30 fps like windows :/
Does anyone have an idea to help me?

Its the PC I won from the duel tourny...
Duo Core 3.16 Ghz
4GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GTX
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 2:15am
Its simple. 9800GTX is simply not strong enough for Illfonic nexuiz.
MINIMUM SPECS: GeForce 8800GT

The 9800GTX is benchmarked to be 25% stronger as the 8800GT.

Options:
- Recommended specs is the GTX260 or higher. Simple, buy a new videocard in that range.
- Disable "Bloom" !! Illfonic's Nexuiz is known to use this alot. Bloom is a MhZ eater because it enables Fps fading while moving. Also known as post processing.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
Crucial Sport 16GB 1866 RAM
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Kit 1M
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Darkn3ss

Its simple. 9800GTX is simply not strong enough for Illfonic nexuiz.
MINIMUM SPECS: GeForce 8800GT

The 988GTX is benchmarked to be 25% stronger as the 8800GT.

Options:
- Recommended specs is the GTX260 or higher. Simple, buy a new videocard in that range.
- Disable "Bloom" !! Illfonic's Nexuiz is known to use this alot. Bloom is a MhZ eater because it enables Fps fading while moving. Also known as post processing.

How can that be if it runs flawlessly on Ubuntu for him? Sounds like hes making his computer do too many operations while trying to simultaneously play nexuiz.

Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 3:00am
Ubuntu doesnt run as much system processes as Windows does, making it a smoother OS.

I think its just the compability between Nexuiz and Ubuntu. Or just a lack of a good Graphics card ;p
Ubuntu does not start a game the same way as Windows does, (it leaves out certain render features and GL improvements, because of the lack of System processes)

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 3:09am
And for your first question:

That 8GB (RAM, Work) Memory will only help if you run "heavy" applications or "many" applications at the same time. It does not help the amount of FPS running. 

F.E: You want to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Reader, and multiple sessions of Google Chrome/Firefox at the same time. 8GB might do the trick for smoothing out the amount of memory that is divided between applications. So you dont experiences sudden freezes when you are viewing a (288MB) browser window from Google Chrome, and you need to switch back to your Photoshop session, which is larger depending on the document size as well (lets take 2017MB). With lower memory, you should experiences more freezes and dips in those switches then when you have a larger amount of memory.

Thats why gaming pc's often have 16GB or 32GB of memory. To let you run multiple games at once without the freezings when switching between them. But it does not help in the game itself. Thats where the videocard comes in.

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:10am
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3274&game=Nexuiz&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+2+Duo+E8500+3.16GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+9800+GTX%2B&ram=4&laptop=0&checkSubmit=

Are you sure? The test says I should be able to run it with medium settings :/

Also I have the 9800 GTX+
Which is about 20% faster than the 8800 which is the min requirement.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:26am
Dont you have dual boot? Try and install it on Windows instead.
See what comes out of that.

Perhaps Ubuntu just struggles sending FPS from hardware to games. Like I said, Ubuntu boots games different then Windows because it leaves out certain System Processes that make Ubuntu the smarter and more smooth OS :) while Windows can perhaps run things Ubuntu can't, making it more flexible.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:31am

Dont you have dual boot? Try and install it on Windows instead.
See what comes out of that.

Perhaps Ubuntu just struggles sending FPS from hardware to games. Like I said, Ubuntu boots games different then Windows because it leaves out certain System Processes that make Ubuntu the smarter and more smooth OS :) while Windows can perhaps run things Ubuntu can't, making it more flexible.

Remember, when comparing the different Nexuizes. I was comparing Illfonic's Nexuiz to the Classic Nexuiz.

ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:36am
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers and when running Illfonic's Nexuiz on "Low" I get about 100 FPS.
I will be buying a new mouse on Friday. I may put a new HDD for my ps3 on hold, and just borrow my bro's ps3. I will also renew my XBL.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:01am
6 gig is plenty... buying the top grfx card is the way to go for gaming, if you already have plenty of processing speed     
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:16pm
lol Nvidia GTX560 (or its slightly cheaper brother Zotac GTX560 with 12MhZ less) will do fine. It should be about $149,- phant, then you have the same Graphics card as I do. You can run everything on Ultra settings, even Skyrim.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 12:18pm
Btw Phant, make sure you run the latest DirectX on your OS ;o
That could definitely be one of the causes here.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 1:12pm

lol Nvidia GTX560 (or its slightly cheaper brother Zotac GTX560 with 12MhZ less) will do fine. It should be about $149,- phant, then you have the same Graphics card as I do. You can run everything on Ultra settings, even Skyrim.
Definitely a future purchase...
I found the culprit regarding my ram getting owned. Some garbage windows media player shareable crap was killing my ram/processes. I disabled it, and no illfonic nexuiz runs fine :)
I run it low so I can get 100 fps.
SP61gTSupra View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Splash with me!

Post Options Post Options   Quote SP61gTSupra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 2:55pm
Thank you Phant for the reminder why I gave up PC gaming.  
Pepsi puppies get more puppy pussy.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ax412

Definitely a future purchase...
I found the culprit regarding my ram getting owned. Some garbage windows media player shareable crap was killing my ram/processes. I disabled it, and no illfonic nexuiz runs fine :)
I run it low so I can get 100 fps.

Nice finding that out ;o
Windows Media Player.......................... another source for Waste Management..................
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>