| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Custom Content
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

CTF-Bleak - Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Devil
Team Devil

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CTF-Bleak - Review
    Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 5:33am
Just wanna give a shoutout and a review to Rico for this map.
Had lots of fun yesterday with Veda, Rico and Blues, although I gotta start playing more to shake that rust off. I'm strongly recommending anybody who has not played this map yet to start playing it!

Here's an objective review on Bleak. Hope it helps you Rico.
Bleak review:

Layout
++ Obvious is obvious, the layout is very well thought of. What first noticed me is the location of the flag. It resides on a small hanging walkthrough in the back of the base. This creates a good risk and reward, since, when inside the base on the lower level, it takes another 5 seconds to reach the flag. This creates excitement because it takes another 5 seconds for a dead enemy to respawn and reach the enemy base to grab the flag. Rico made use of 3 primary heightlayers which are cut off by 2 walls in the middle section, which is a smart move since that creates options for defending.
- Both small lifts dont stop directly at the second height layer, but just a small inch between it, having me fall of from them 8/10 times. Speed is correct, but also would fit better if its size was upscaled more to fit the boundry its in.

Pickups:
Relatively good placements. Some things are a bit annoying. Nothing big :)
+ Udamage is well placed. That corridor adds another risk of killing an enemy before he has a chance to even leave that corridor and start using it.
- The placement of the rockets kind of fall out the flow since this layout is fast paced and you would wanna pick up every weapon you encouter when leaving the base.
- The very small incest in the wall where the 20 helmet resides is a bit too small for me. I often need to use a double translocate from down under to reach it.

Texturizing/Materials:
I know Rico did not invest time to spice up the map with nice textures, thats ok, but a shame as well because a mix of good textures can also provide a better view of the layout itself and how it plays.
+ Trimming is there, but it doesnt pop out since its specular is as dark as the floor texture. For good trimming you need a good mix of a floor texture and trim texture. Same counts for walls. For the stairs, Rico did make use of small stairtrims on both sides creating the fact that it otherwise would look like the stairs was floating and attached to nothing.
- Wall texture is too upscaled using U/V 0.3 which create material popping and texture dimness. For good wall scaling, never use anything bigger then 0.5.

A great map which is easy to learn and flows great. All I can say is good job on this map, always watch for Rico's shock combo's when playing against him on this map :O:O and hope to see more from you Rico :)

Cheers, Dark

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
Crucial Sport 16GB 1866 RAM
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Kit 1M
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
 Post Reply Post Reply