| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Duel Guide for Beginners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mephisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duel Guide for Beginners
    Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 11:52am
I.  Setting up
    In this first section I'll talk about which settings you need to change and which ones are just preference.  If there's a setting that I don't mention, then just a**ume that it should be left default.

INPUT

Sensitivity - Obviously this is just a matter of preference.  I use 13 when I'm playing 1v1 and 15 during team games.

Turn Acceleration - This option doesn't really affect the "acceleration", it's just the  sensitivity of the X axis.  In most console shooters, the X axis moves faster than the Y axis, so if you're comfortable with Halo or Call of Duty or something like that, you should set this anywhere from 8 to 10.  I use 10.

Look Centering (walking) - Turn this off

Buttons - *press triangle to bring up the button mapping.

Jumping - The general consensus is that jumping by pressing the left thumbstick is the best way to jump.  I've tried setting jump to L1 and I think it's better to have it on the Left Stick.  Of course, this could just be a matter of preference but I think Left Stick is the way to go.

Weapon Picker - In the console version of UT3 there's a nifty little feature that allows you to quickly switch between all 9 weapons without cycling through.  Basically you hold down a certain button and it brings up a menu that lets you flick the right stick in the direction of whichever weapon you want.  Theoretically this should be better than pressing a button to cycle through the whole list, but the only problem with weapon picker is that you lose control of your character temporarily;  Meaning, you cant turn or look around while you're picking a weapon.  When I first started playing I used weapon picker, then I switched to button cycling, then I switched again to weapon picker.  After all that, I concluded that cycling is the best way to go.  Right now I'm doing a hybrid of both where I set L1 and R1 to cycle and triangle to weapon picker.  That way if I really need to use weapon picker I can bring my right index finger down to triangle (aka Clawing) and pick my weapon that way.

My current button scheme:
L1 - Previous Weapon
L2 - Alt-Fire
L3 - Jump
R1 - Next Weapon
R2 - Fire
R3 - Best Weapon
Triangle - Weapon Picker
Square - Use/Hoverboard
Circle - Toggle Melee

WEAPONS

Crosshair Type - You can change the cursor to "Simple" if you want to, this will give you a generic cross for a cursor, some people think that using "Simple" is better but I think this option is just preference.  I use simple crosshairs.

Weapon switch on pickup - Turn this off

Weapon hand - Turn this to "Hidden". This option will hide the weapon models from the screen so you can have a better field of view.

Weapon Priority - * press triangle to bring up the weapon priority list
When you're playing a game and you have multiple weapons on hand, you can press the "Best Weapon" button and it will switch strait to whatever weapon you have that is highest on this list.  This might be a matter of preference, but I think the Shock Rifle should be first because it fires the quickest off the draw.  Then from there, I would put all the long range weapons next because there will be times when your opponent will run away and you need to bring out a long range weapon so you can hopefully hit them with at least one shot before they get away. I have mine set up like this  :

Shock Rifle
Sniper Rile
Minigun
Link gun
Flak Cannon
Rocket Launcher
Bio Rifle
Enforcer
Redeemer
Longbow Avril

HUD - Turn on "Show Clock" and turn everything else off.

VIDEO - Turn "Brightness" all the way up so you can see better when there's dark corners on a map, and use "Intense" Processing so you can see your opponent(s) more clearly.

AUDIO - You definitely want to turn off "Voice Volume" and "Ambiance Volume".  I would also turn off "Announcer Volume" and enable "Mute Voice".   

PLAYER - Turn "Allow Custom Characters" to "No"

II.  Miscellaneous Info
    Just a bunch of random info you need to know before you start playing online.

Unwritten Rules
    No U-Damage or Redeemer when playing Duel.  U-Damage is the little purple powerup that  makes a loud buzzing sound when you get near it.  Redeemer is a nuclear missile launcher  that may be hard to identify if you're new to the game.  Don't worry about it if you  accidentally pick one of these up and someone gets mad at you.  Those people probably have  anger issues that need to be resolved.  I just think it's funny when people pick them up and  most people wont get mad.  Now, when you start to get better at dueling and you're playing  serious matches then obviously you shouldn't pick them up, for the sake of a good game.   NOTE- During team games, you can pick up whatever you want.

Glitches
    The only glitch that's really do-able in an actual game is the taunt glitch.  Basically,  you just spam the taunt feature, and every once in a while your opponent's audio will cut out, enabling you to move around freely without them hearing you for a few seconds, then their audio turns back on.  The majority of the community thinks that this is cheap so nobody does it.  I personally don't think it's cheap but the only reason I don't do it is because it's ridiculously hard to do, and it's totally random, so you could spend the whole match spamming taunt and never see the glitch.  So to me it's just not worth it.

Best Maps
    Duel - Deck, Shangri-La, and Sentinel.  You can also use Diesel and Heatray, but they're  slightly unbalanced.
    Custom Duel Maps - see this thread

Match Settings
    Change "Time Limit" to "10 Minutes" and leave everything else on default.  If you want to, you can put the "Kill Limit" to 10, that way if a really good player is demolishing a bad player, you won't have to wait the whole ten minutes until the next match.

Item Spawn Times
    Shield Belt - 60 seconds
    Jump Boots - 30 seconds
    Body Armor - 30 seconds
    Helmet - 30 seconds
    Health Vials - 30 seconds
    Health Bubbles - 30 seconds
    All weapons/ammo - 30 seconds

Section II will be coming soon.  In it I will talk about how to train yourself to move around quickly and learn which weapons to use in which situations.  As well as other things that will help you become a decent player.
ThAtSmAtT View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA
Buffalo Bill

Post Options Post Options   Quote ThAtSmAtT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 12:09pm
decent guide but i dont see why another duel guide has to be made since there is alreeady one done, but still, nice
Ewokk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ewokk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:46pm
Nice guide.

I wanna know how the hell terry15z could CONSTANTLY taunt all the while beasting on anyone and everyone. I don't understand how one can do that and concentrate on the duel?!
Dear CTF,

I know I have been spending a lot of time dueling lately, but you will always be my first love.
Mephisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mephisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by ThAtSmAtT

decent guide but i dont see why another duel guide has to be made since there is alreeady one done, but still, nice

this one's going to be a lot more comprehensive than the others, once im finished

Originally posted by Ewokk

Nice guide.

I wanna know how the hell terry15z could CONSTANTLY taunt all the while beasting on anyone and everyone. I don't understand how one can do that and concentrate on the duel?!

yea i dueled him a lot back when i first started.  we used to taunt the whole match non stop.  if you set voice menu to down on the d-pad, then you can just press down, down, x.  i think that's the easiest way- im not sure tho
Black_star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black_star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 4:03pm
It's great that you're doing a guide but a lot of these are opinions or preferences. No point in having them in the guide. Best maps and match settings section for example. 
DVirus_R View Drop Down
Team Phoenyx
Team Phoenyx
Scavenger Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Quote DVirus_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 4:28pm
can i try it?
lol
great guide man!

☢ Phyx_ThunderBird
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 4:59pm
nice, every guide covers something else.
InHuMaNe_KiLLa View Drop Down
Team GOML
Team GOML

Post Options Post Options   Quote InHuMaNe_KiLLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 10:08pm
moved to UT3 tutorials and we have 3 now?? LoL :P
PSN Tags - InHuMaN_KiLLa_v2 (for everything but UT3), InHuMaNe_KiLLa, KiLLa_is_QnL, GOML_-ScRuBz-
XBL - iMPuLs3 zV
wOa site created by me - woagaming.enjin.com
WOPR-1 View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote WOPR-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 11:59pm
Yeah it's never bad to have more guides even on the same topic though...sometimes at least with me I'll have 2-3 people tell me basically the same thing but it may not be till the third person says it in a different way that the light bulb finally clicks on....it could be just that I'm slow though LOL!
None of you seem to understand...I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME!!--Rorschach
INCReMENTAL View Drop Down
Team VAG
Team VAG
pus i tap - i tap pus

Post Options Post Options   Quote INCReMENTAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 12:36am
Wopr your just slow bro. Lol. Jk.
Currently playing MAG nightly with Wopr, we be owning on SVER n the EF CLAN. UT3 got boring, no competition, nothing else to prove, qM got dat **** on lock.
Mephisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mephisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 1:36pm
nobody's gonna see it here :(
InHuMaNe_KiLLa View Drop Down
Team GOML
Team GOML

Post Options Post Options   Quote InHuMaNe_KiLLa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 1:45pm
LoL trust me they will.
PSN Tags - InHuMaN_KiLLa_v2 (for everything but UT3), InHuMaNe_KiLLa, KiLLa_is_QnL, GOML_-ScRuBz-
XBL - iMPuLs3 zV
wOa site created by me - woagaming.enjin.com
TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 6:57pm
great guide mephisto!
The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

TuNA FISh View Drop Down
Team QnL
Team QnL
QnL Captain

Post Options Post Options   Quote TuNA FISh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Black_star

It's great that you're doing a guide but a lot of these are opinions or preferences. No point in having them in the guide. Best maps and match settings section for example. 

for a beginner, i think they would want to know about these things. weapons hidden, simple cross hair, sensitivity, etc. these are all things a beginner would want to know. and i agree 100% with what he said about the maps.

The sun was high and so was I
- Best Coast

psn: HardhatTuna
XBL: Tuna is QnL

Post Reply Post Reply