Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

who got the slim, tell us about them...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who got the slim, tell us about them...
    Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:13am
just wanting to know how good these are and what they are all about. killing spree got his last night, but he hasnt had the time to play it yet. is there anyone out there that can brag or con about it first hand?

sympathy one gets for nothing,
EnVy must be earned"
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:18am
I just recieved it and it's pretty cool. Not as sexy as the shiny black, but it's much smaller than before. The case is now textured instead of smooth, and the controller is the same way (textured). However, the controller (Dual Shock) does not feel any different. The hardrive is mounted in the front for ease of swapping. Also, the power consumption is 50% less, based on Sony's claim. Are than specific questions you have? Works just the same as before.
_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:24am
just want to know how the "in game" feels, and if the faster processor actually helps the speed of the game. ive done a little research and they are saying that it should increase response time and over all speed during online play vrs the older models. your actually supposed to feel a difference and was just wondering if this was true to you guys..

EnVy must be earned"
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:31am
Honestly, I only played 2 maps on a EU host today so it didn't notice any difference, but I'll look out for it. The PS3 does start a bit smoother and shuts down much smoother. But I don't know if it's because it's brand new and my others are launch consoles, or because there is something special about the new one. I'll keep an eye on the whole response time thing. I'll jump on it rght now an mess around.

As for the PS Store (browsing/downloading), Internet Browser, Home, etc. There is no response time difference. I just checked all of them while I'm writing this and no noticable difference to me. If others are experiencing something different, do share.

However, Envy, I will say that you will be pleased with the system. It still feels like it's built like a tank and it's significantly smaller than the original. Much more streamlined and the width is at least an inch or two shorter.

[Edit]  The fan noise (if there was any on the original) is absolutely non-existent. I know my other ones make a super faint sound when the fan turns on. This one makes absolutely no noise.
krzys773 View Drop Down
AdReNaLiNe RuSh
AdReNaLiNe RuSh

Massacre Monster

Post Options Post Options   Quote krzys773 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:33am
I heard that the ps3 slim blu-ray player is cheaper than the original and that it overheats way to fast.Anyone know if its true?
Nissan SiLViA
Nissan 300zx
Yamaha Yzf R6
    <3
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 10:39am
Originally posted by xXchris_cXx

I heard that the ps3 slim blu-ray player is cheaper than the original and that it overheats way to fast.Anyone know if its true?

I've been running mine for about 2 hours and the system from the top is pretty cool. The air vent is hot, but cooler than my launch console. The bottom is a bit hot like the launch.

However, I just realized that the load times on BR discs are a bit faster. I popped in Pirates OFTC: Dead Man's Chest and it loads noticeably faster than the launch console. Some forums are reporting that the laod times are slower on the slim, but it appears faster to me.
_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by xXchris_cXx

i hope not..

EnVy must be earned"
Deadaim View Drop Down
[qM]
[qM]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deadaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 3:38pm
theres been some chatter about the blu ray drive due to the sony mole guy.. he didnt mention anything about overheating and his comments were acctually kinda hard to understand because he said something about the manufacturer having a previous incident with having the drives fail in a previous product but that he expected the problem was fixed this time around.

so it did sound like they are using cheaper blu ray players, but they will run @ 2x like the rest and the ps3 supposedly runs very cool.

idk i should have mine soon waiting for the fedex truck
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 3:52pm
The slim is not backward compatible. Keep your ps2 on hand.
Ether404 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
The Jackhammer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ether404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 5:09pm
am i the only one that has a backwards compatible PS3 anymore?
If Gravity is a "P" and the Sun is an "H", it makes a FFFFFFF.
COKKENBALLS View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote COKKENBALLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 5:24pm
I have a 60g that is backwards compatible.
_EnVy_ View Drop Down
Team Deep Ground
Team Deep Ground

Post Options Post Options   Quote _EnVy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Ether404

i had it, it blew up =[

but yeah i just want to know from others what unit is the better buy.

is it the older one, or the slim?

they are saying the processor is faster and will increase your online response time. just wondering if this was true..

EnVy must be earned"
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by _EnVy_

Originally posted by Ether404

i had it, it blew up =[

but yeah i just want to know from others what unit is the better buy.

is it the older one, or the slim?

they are saying the processor is faster and will increase your online response time. just wondering if this was true..

Response time is one thing. Online response time is a whole different ballgame. As we all know, online play is dependant upon your connection, router, ISP, how far the server is, etc. There is nothing the cell is going to do that will help that out. The cell was fast enough the first go around to compute kbs of information being sent between the PS3 and the servers. I highly doubt there will be any noticable difference during the online experience. I've played mine all morning and don't see any difference at all.
Danjel8 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Danjel8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 6:44pm
I guess no one is really gonna know how well this handles for at least 2-3 months when some problems might start shining thru.
Deadaim View Drop Down
[qM]
[qM]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deadaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 8:03pm
ran mine for a few hours tonight... worked great

just barely got slightly warm, nothing even in the same ballpark of the heat my old 60 gig was giving off
 Post Reply Post Reply