FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Users - CHEATERS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Deep
Team Deep
Mmmmm Beefy

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NecroBeestiality Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Users - CHEATERS
    Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 1:16pm
Not really, I just wanted to generate some views.

My real question is, are they hokey pieces of junk or are they actually an improvement over the controller? I saw someone mention in another thread they are a major advantage and I just wanted to hear more about that.

On Engadget they have a $599 one, I know there are others for half or less.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/thrustmaster-t500rs-the-official-gran-turismo-5-wheel-unboxed/

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!
House Music All Night Long

"Insted of peaple coming on this website were peaple are b**ing about peaple behind each uthers backs" - QuickRC
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 1:52pm
hahaha, I was ready to slap a necro for creating a troll thread.

I had a cheap wheel and pedals for my PC car game and it took me awhile to get used to it but once I did, I never went back to the controller. The pedals were the hardest but then again I wasn't using a 600$ piece of equipment either.
Deadaim View Drop Down
[qM]
[qM]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deadaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 2:06pm
bah.. idk.. imo i think if you are going to play a game on a console it should be with a controller.

steering wheels are for pc nerds
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 3:23pm
I know a few people that use "wheels" and they say it is better than using a controller. But I like to kick back in my recliner and relax when I play games so you'll never see me hunched over one of those things.
Deadaim View Drop Down
[qM]
[qM]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deadaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 4:17pm

this isnt directed at you bain personally, but a bunch of people on here.I love how everyone claims they are the "im laid back 170 degrees when i play on my couch with my controller" ultra laid back dude.. first off.. playing a game with a controller in your hand is far more uncomfortable then a driving a car, which is what it simulates... people drive trucks for 10 hours a day straight.. if i sat infront of my tv on my couch holding my control for 10 hours i would seriously be ready to die from uncomfort.

ALSO i really doubt all the people who claim they are the laying down superchillaxing really do it.. most of you are super competetive and are probably playing in an ultra slouch torwards the tv in a computer chair with your tv 3 feet from your head.

none of you ultralaxers are going to beable to use the new playstation move, or the playstation sharpshooter. and ****.. gt5 is designed as a driving simulator, couldnt imagine a funner more "home arcade" type situation then having a badass game with a steering wheel.. i guess sitting on your couch viding it up all day is how some of you do it. but i personally love ps move, love lightguns, arcade fighting joysticks, kbm, etc etc.

heres the short synopsis:  people on here stop acting like your cool for sitting on a couch with a controller.. its nothing special.
danjel3+5 View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote danjel3+5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Deadaim

bah.. idk.. imo i think if you are going to play a game on a console it should be with a controller.

Like KB/M?

BTW - Like the thread title :) I'd rather use a controller, I don't really want my mates walking in on me pretending to be Michael Schumacher.
Click Me :)

iAMgaming... where unimportant people come to feel important.
Deadaim View Drop Down
[qM]
[qM]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deadaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by danjel3+5

Like KB/M?

BTW - Like the thread title :) I'd rather use a controller, I don't really want my mates walking in on me pretending to be Michael Schumacher.

you realize i wasnt serious right?

at one of my old houses we built a cardboard car to go around 4 kitchen chairs.. had doors and windows and **** was utterly badass.. anyhow we would play racing games and pretend we were passengers lol with the driver using the wheel. yes it sounds corny but it was always funny as hell and we would drink and pass around a blunt so it was just like real driving

and for you simpletons who are going to think "oh wow he built a whole car out of cardboard that must of been hard.." no.. their is something called a Gaylord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_(container) and all you need to do is flip it over and cut out a window and some doors with a blade. takes about 5 minutes.
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 6:12pm

Originally posted by danjel3+5

Like KB/M?
<FONT> 
<FONT>you realize i wasnt serious right?
<FONT> 
<FONT>at one of my old houses we built a cardboard car to go around 4 kitchen chairs.. had doors and windows and **** was utterly badass.. anyhow we would play racing games and pretend we were passengers lol with the driver using the wheel. yes it sounds corny but it was always funny as hell and we would drink and pass around a blunt so it was just like real driving

and for you simpletons who are going to think "oh wow he built a whole car out of cardboard that must of been hard.." no.. their is something called a Gaylord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_(container) and all you need to do is flip it over and cut out a window and some doors with a blade. takes about 5 minutes.

roflmao awe sh1t Deadaim thats fk'n hillarious.. thats what guys will do for fun.. no wonder women think were fk'n crazy sometimes lol i made a cardboard devider for Golden Eye so we couldn't see eachothers screen.. it changed the game big time too.. no booz or blunts though.. Cheech and Chong would be proud of you guys :) still laughing xD
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 6:58pm
yeaaaah so anyone currently use a wheel/pedal for racing games? If so answer this guys question so we can get this back on topic.
aceoblivion View Drop Down
Team TRU
Team TRU

Post Options Post Options   Quote aceoblivion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:47pm
I have a wheel for my ps3 and the 360. I currently don't use either. To much trouble mounting them to a table and sitting up to drive them, but they do make a huge difference, I would shave several seconds off of lap times with a wheel, especially on oval tracks where you have to hold the wheel in one direction around corners at a certain angle to keep the car on the bottom of the track. I could never do that with a controller, you have to keep jerking the car with the joystick to keep going around the curve, but I just find games more fun while laid back on my couch. Yes, Deadaim, I actually play every game while lying on my couch, never cared how much better I might be if I actually set up and played in a chair. Not that I could ever be good at a game to begin with, so why bother. I'm 41 years old and still enjoy video games for fun. I've actually laughed so hard in clan matches that I couldn't even see to play, ask Lunchy, I had him laughing during a clan match one time and he's laughing and shouting shut up Ace the whole game.
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:17am
not cool, just comfortable
F.u.k-shaker View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

raptor pilot

Post Options Post Options   Quote F.u.k-shaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 5:59pm
Logitechs gt wheel is awesome.  Everything is easyer. Force feedbck... But i dont bother setting my shait up. Change gear on r1 r2 use both analog. rearw. L1 handbr. L2... When you know what gear you must have in the corners, you will turn faster. auto. is **** cos when you got a certain amount of rev it will change gear.
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 10:03pm
Well for me personally I have always used a standard PS controller for racing games. I've always thought people buying wheels or silly ass looking controllers were ridiculous. For the longest time stuff like Racing Wheel's having been mainly for the Arcade-like feel when racing. But now that you have Online in its abundance I see why people buy these ridiculously expensive items.

Well I came across this on the internet a while back (bout a month ago).

I read a lot of reviews about it, and it seemed like people were digging it. And I was really considering buying one, but I didn't want to spend the money. Well, I was able to find a place in New Jersey and bought it for about $25 in December. Its was tough to readjust but once I did. I can say the controller is excellent. And allows me to make minor adjustments. It also allows me to control the throttle a lot easier. So I now when taking long high speed turns I can maintain a steady pace of speed without over/under steer.

Not to jump ahead of myself, but I feel like I can keep up with those using wheels now. Not to say im a Pro. But it feels nice to outrun people in Racing Modified cars with my Stingray.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 3:46am
that is the craziest looking controller, can you explain how you use that? what button or scroll button does what activity for you?

Someone I know would love something like this! a nice alternative to the wheel.
Sephiroth_V7 View Drop Down
Team Deep
Team Deep
qM's Cheerleader

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sephiroth_V7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:49am
controller looks useful, but would rather have a reg one... like being able to pull back for break, and all u got to do for throttle control is work the stick in a circle instead of tryin to be gentle with it going straight up and down, works well for me.... do kinda want to try that bad ass lookin thing out tho lol

aka - priebe69, DEEP_BrokeBack, GOW_AftaBirth
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:22am
Originally posted by JPINATOR

that is the craziest looking controller, can you explain how you use that? what button or scroll button does what activity for you?

Someone I know would love something like this! a nice alternative to the wheel.

Well where the D-PAD is on a standard controller is basically your steering wheel. It looks funny, but when you think of it. You only turn left and right. And with it being slanted at a 45 degree angle. When you put the controller in your hand, that wheel is already aligned with the natural placement of your thumb. Its weird at first, but you realize the placement of it and angle works great. Because all you simply have to do is move your thumb up or down.

To the right where you X, Square, Triangle, Circle. X is accelerate and square is brake. Circle is E brake and Triangle is reverse. Which honestly unless your messing around, if you run into a situation where you need to use the E brake or Reverse, your already f***ed. The best part is being able to make a nice crescendo when accelerating or braking. For example, if I am taking a high speed turn at 110 MPH and i need to drop down to only 100 MPH. I can gently push on the brake to make that slight altercation. Because with a standard controller hitting the square button with mostly result in full use of braking power. So I would be dropping too much speed when I don't need to. Another example when using the throttle. Lets Say there is a High speed turn that is a complete 180 turn from start to finish and I can only go with a maximum of 95 MPH without veering off into a wall. Then once I find the appropriate gear I can just gently press down on the throttle to obtain the perfect amount of gas I am using so I stay at the steady 95 MPH.

The thing you have to understand in GT5 is when it comes to throttle or braking. You have a meter that tells you have much you are implementing. So you can literally apply 20% of your braking power or 40% of your throttle power. Because you will always come into a situation where you can only go so fast in a turn without wrecking. But you want to be able to go as fast as you can in the turn, even if its only 40 MPH.

Another example is at Daytona Speedway. Only those long oval turns. I can apply the exact amount of steering I need when turning. So there is no ''whoa to much, whoa not enough*. Or having to steering back and forth to keep from veering left to right. so once I find that sweet spot I just have to keep that thumb down at that turning angle and it will be smooth. Because the least steering you doing the higher MPH you can keep.

But really you would have to play GT5 to understand where I am coming from. This isn't Burnout where I can just turn into a wall and keep going 150 MPH. Its a very punishing yet rewarding game. All I can say is, if your looking for a cheaper alternative from a wheel. Than this is the controller for you.

Edit: Almost forgot, where you see that red number 98. That tells you how much pressure your applying to X/[] button. From 0-100%
BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:02am
WOW!!!! That's fvcking cool as ****. I'm definitely going to look into one of these.
Helscream View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote Helscream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 1:37pm
Well if you do decide to buy it let me know when you have it. You kinda have to tweak it to activate that 100% sensitivity. Its complicated, but I basically had to switch my gas/brake to R2/L2 then flip the switch on the back of the controller that exchanges X/[] for R2/L2. Its sounds wierd, but thats I was able to achieve full sensitivity.
Deadaim View Drop Down
[qM]
[qM]

Post Options Post Options   Quote Deadaim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 1:44pm

probably because the triggers are designed to be more pressure sensitive then the buttons.

and that controller does look badass.. makes me want to buy gt5
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:05pm
That's amazing Helscream, that was my friends complaint that when you brake.. you lock brake and so seeing you can now adjust that by this controller I think he's going to go crazy for it. I'll be copying your post in an email to him, thanks Helscream!

BAIN View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote BAIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:33pm
checked it out on Amazon. $36.95. but it's not wireless, it has a 10' cable. I need 12' to 15'. it didn't mention any vibration function, does it have it?
 Post Reply Post Reply