| | | | | |  

Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic Forums > Fists of Fury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

State of the Union Address

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Will Obama be disrespected during his speech?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [33.33%]
3 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote LunarBlackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: State of the Union Address
    Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 1:45am

Interested to know what you guys think. Remember he was called a liar during his Health Care speech in 2009.

"Don't cross a Blackcat."
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:11am
I doubt anyone will have the nuts to do that again.  It was a surprisingly bold and shameful display.  One of those "peek through your fingers" moments that you couldn't believe happened, but you just had to watch over again.

Presidents and all other politicians come and go.  I think we should respect the "Office" of our elected officials in formal settings.  Outside those settings, I say go for it.

Let's not forget that he himself broke with over 200 years of tradition when he decided to berate and shame the Supreme Court in his last State of The Union Address.  Also shameful and a disgrace to the Office.  His and theirs.  From what I have read, several of the Justices will not be attending because of his disrespect.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 8:41am

He lied and was called out (although noone actually heard Chief Justive Roberts' comments, it was reading his lips that revealed the information). Very simple. Either the President had no clue as to what he was talking about or his speech writters were making a point that doesn't belong at the State of The Union. Obama suffered the consequences (i,e, take a look at the House of Representatives). And to think that this President is an attorney and a Harvard Law School grad makes this even more of a disappointment. Upon graduating and passing the bar, he took an oath to uphold and protect the laws of this country in an objective manner. Neither of which he has done.

I agree with Aqua's post on this one. The fact that he has single handedly destroyed our Constitution by ignoring it and reinterpreting it speaks volumes.
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 10:55am
FWIW - I agree with the guy who yelled "You're a liar!" and I completely agree with Pinnacle.  Was just trying to make a case without showing what color thong I'm wearing.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 2:05pm
there wont be any outbursts this time.. Obama is even making the republicans and democrats sit together which is one of the weirdest things ive ever heard of lol scolding supreme court justices at a state of the union was very arrogant but telling all of the Senators where they haft to sit is almost unbelievable lol sounds like a Jay Leno joke but its acually true :) after trashing republicans and Bush for 2 years and not working with republicans at all he's now going to try to convince the country that he's a center President and he really wants to work with republicans.. but making them sit together at his state of the unoin? thats just such a off the wall thing for a President to do.. were 16 trillion in debt, our economy is still very unstable, 9% unemployment, multiple wars going on and he's worried about the dam seating arrangement for his speach? lol its just weird i tell ya
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
Pinnacle View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pinnacle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

there wont be any outbursts this time.. Obama is even making the republicans and democrats sit together which is one of the weirdest things ive ever heard of lol scolding supreme court justices at a state of the union was very arrogant but telling all of the Senators where they haft to sit is almost unbelievable lol sounds like a Jay Leno joke but its acually true :) after trashing republicans and Bush for 2 years and not working with republicans at all he's now going to try to convince the country that he's a center President and he really wants to work with republicans.. but making them sit together at his state of the unoin? thats just such a off the wall thing for a President to do.. were 16 trillion in debt, our economy is still very unstable, 9% unemployment, multiple wars going on and he's worried about the dam seating arrangement for his speach? lol its just weird i tell ya

As far as I understand, Republican and Democrats are not sitting together. It is one Republican and one Democrat that want to sit next to each other. Another dumb idea that has absolutely no value. It has never been an issue that the parties are divided. The issue is that respectable conversation amongst the parties have turned to all out war on ideology. I'm neither a Democrat or a Repblican. However, I know which direction I'd point my finger for the blame, the direction that promised hope, change, and unity, none of which have become reality. It's BS in my opinion. Maybe the leader of the Executive branch can stop acting, and actually start working. Perhaps that would light the fire under everyone's ass.
ax412 View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM
Duel Champ

Post Options Post Options   Quote ax412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 3:04pm
pendulum, you deleted your post?
YINYANG View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Ho's And Disco's

Post Options Post Options   Quote YINYANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by ax412

pendulum, you deleted your post?

ye its too much of a hassle to post in threads like these, i dont think i would have seen an intelligent debate from it, just nonsensical rambling

SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Pinnacle

Originally posted by uc SYZYGY uc

As far as I understand, Republican and Democrats are not sitting together. It is one Republican and one Democrat that want to sit next to each other. Another dumb idea that has absolutely no value. It has never been an issue that the parties are divided. The issue is that respectable conversation amongst the parties have turned to all out war on ideology. I'm neither a Democrat or a Repblican. However, I know which direction I'd point my finger for the blame, the direction that promised hope, change, and unity, none of which have become reality. It's BS in my opinion. Maybe the leader of the Executive branch can stop acting, and actually start working. Perhaps that would light the fire under everyone's ass.

im an independant so im not tied down to either party's complete agenda either.. i go issue by issue instead of taking any preset party stand on all issues.. the only preset views i have for our Country are i never go against our constitution! and our salvurnty must remain! other then that its pretty much all open for good debate.. progressive means anti America so im totaly against it though! when America is already the greatest country ever, why drasticly change it? and why move towards a world government and give up our salvurnty? answering questions like these two should be simple for any true American.. there's no need for drastic changes and to hell with ever giving up our sulvernty.. were America! if they want to drasticly change a country? go change another one because this one isn't perfect but its still the best Country ever!
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
LunarBlackcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LunarBlackcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 11:14pm
State of the Union takeaways:

1. If you don't have a college degree within the next ten years, your F'd if you want a good job. Better get it or start your own small business.

2. Illegal Immigration - Ready to discuss the issue? This is a joke and illegals will continue to take jobs away from real citizens.

3. China will be the epicenter of new cutting edge technology if we don't act now. Hoping for one million electric cars on road by 2015 as show of environmental leadership.

4. Infrastructure is failing, graded a D. Country will look to high speed rail and increasing ease of access to high speed data. Obama says private investment will fund? Keep in mind country debt at 12 trillion.

5. Lower taxes without increasing debt? It can be done? Simplify tax code, no breaks for millionaires.

6. Global trade talks will increase US jobs, unfair tax burdens will be abolished. Enemies across the globe will be defeated, cites Iraq as a victory, war coming to end. Al-Qaeda "removed from the battlefield". Nuclear material reduction world wide, tough sanctions for Iran and no nukes for North Korea.

7. Heath-care system. Will not go backwards to Ins. company control. Look at Malpractice reform

8. Debt reduction - Gov. spending more than taking in, will reform govt. in attempt to bring into digital age. Discretionary spending freeze for 5 years, federal employees get no raises as well. Bills with earmarks vetoed.

9. Gays in military ok,  Obama asks colleges open doors to armed forces/recruiters.

10. Democracy can me messy, turbulent, but wouldn't trade our govt. system for any other countries. Dreams can still come true in United States. Our destiny remains ours, the state of the union is strong.

Also no disrespect towards the President.

"Don't cross a Blackcat."
Aquaknot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member
Wheres my sock?!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aquaknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 6:00am
I woud say that's a fair recap of what was said.  I have an opinion on a lot of that stuff, but wouldn't want to bore anyone to death.

I will mention that I noticed how many times I heard crickets chirping during his speech.  Speech writers build in a "pause" for reaction or applause.  I counted time after time that he paused and... nothing.

I read last week that our national debt has reached 14 Trillion.  I was hoping for something more in cuts than just $400b.  This just means we're slowing down the growth of national debt, but it's still growing out of control.  No discussion on paying it down-
-- Thomas Jefferson
HanFei View Drop Down
Team KmA
Team KmA

Post Options Post Options   Quote HanFei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 1:54am
Salmon, that is all.
 Post Reply Post Reply