Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cooking UT3 Maps Tutorial for dummies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Team Devil
Team Devil

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooking UT3 Maps Tutorial for dummies
    Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:18pm
Ok, so I got a lot of questions from people how to cook or recook UT3 maps.
You can either look it up on the Epic games forum, or follow my tutorial
Anywayz, Imma show you how its done ;)

What you need at first:
- A Complete and working version of UT3 PC
(Incase you want to know how to open the editor. Copy a link to your desktop, goto Properties and add the following word behind your UT3.exe link: editor. It will turn out to be something like this
C:\Program Files x86\R.G Mechanics\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe editor

Latest UT3 Patch 5
http://gamedaily.newaol.com/pub/UT3Patch5.exe?ru=19&h=6c5c8916412d18f8f11f22f1c56ae74a
(includes Titan pack and glitch fixes) patch this file over your UT3 INSTALL directory

- PS3ModTools (for patching glitches in UT3 and latest Unreal Frontend) patch this file over your UT3 INSTALL directory

PS3 Custom Sound Tools
- http://www.mediafire.com/?lnuienivrtx
(for cooking maps with custom music it in Unreal Frontend) patch this file over your UT3 INSTALL directory

You need ALL 3 files for a succesful cooking mod!

Installing UT3 PC gives you 2 directories:
1. An User friendly directory \Unreal Tournament 3
(probably be saved somehwere in your 'My Documents' directory

which include a(n):
\Autosave directory: for AUTOSAVING YOUR MAP PROGRESS incase something goes wrong
\Screenshots directory: here will all the screenshots be saved that you make INGAME
\Published directory: here will ALL UT3 PC MAPS be saved
\Unpublished directory: You will need to put the maps you want to cook for PS3 in this directory.

- An Install directory from UT3 which include all packages, files, characters etc:
This is made when installing UT3 and will be located in your 'Program Files' (x86 for Windows 7 64 bit) directory

which incude a(n):
\Enviroments directory: here are most of the UT3 packages saved. Think of skydomes, textures, meshes, materials > everything you can possible think of for making a custom UT3 map.
\Maps directory: which include stock maps like CTF-FacingWorlds, CTF-Strident, DM-HeatRay etcetera.
Just open these .ut3 files in the editor for editing or adding things to that map.
\Private directory: Yep, Epic was smart nuff to make another folder which include even more stock maps. I have by gods fn no idea why they did this but it includes some maps like CTF-Reflection, CTF-OmicronDawn, CTF-Vertebrae etcetera.

Ok, so you now know a little about the UT3 folders locations and meanings. Lets head over to the cooking tutorial now. Im going to use my own map DM-Choices as an example for this tutorial.
We will start from the point where your map is finished, saved and ready to be cooked.
1. First make sure the UT3 editor is closed. Unreal Frontend doesnt like it when its openend -_-

-----------------

2. Copy your map file to your User friendly UT3 directory under the folder \Unpublished
This needs to be done in order for the cooking progress. As Unreal Frontend only reads files out of this folder.

You will find 2 more folders below the \Unpublished directory >

\Unpublished\CookedPC\Maps\PUT YOUR MAP HERE

-----------------
3. Now that this is done. Go to your UT3 Install Directory and open the Unreal Frontend.exe application.

IMPORTANT!: You will need to Run the file as "Administrator" !!
Unreal Frontend comes out of an Install directory and will sometimes not obey the cooking progress since its out of an Windows directory -_-

-----------------
4. Ok, hope you can follow it until so far. You have Unreal Frontend ready and opened on your desktop. Ill explain the functions of Unreal Frontend quickly: (forgive me for the crappy numbers in the picture)

1. Platform: you can either choose to cook your map for PC or for PS3. Choosing for PC adds the option:"Run local game after cooking/synching. We will leave this on PS3 for now
2. Game: UTGame. leave this as it is since their is no other option to select.
3. Cooking tab: You will need to have this tab opened in order for the cooking options to appear.
Other options are mostly used for server, scripting and help purposes.
4. Maps: This is important! Unreal Frontend will read out the file that you name here! Put your complete filename in plus codec (DM-CTF-VCTF-WAR) in front of it. That makes for example: DM-Mymapname or CTF-mymapname
5. Packages have changed: You should always have this checked.
6. Full Recook: You can check this if you have an custom sound, materials or other things in your map that needs an up to date cooking. If you cook your map for the first time, its definitly recommended to check this. Ill leave it for now.
7. Mod Type: Select the option that you wish to cook. In
this case we are going to cook a map. So select the option "Map" out of the drop down menu.
8. Cook: This will start the cooking process
9. Language: leave this as it is, since there is no other option to select

If you have all the options filled out as desired, its time for the last step:
Click the Cook button and a new prompt will appear:

Fill in your mapname once more with either without the DM/CTF/VCTF/WAR codec or take it with you. I recommend without. We'll just do without for now.
Click Ok if you've filled out everything and lets start cooking!

The UT3 Cooking process is now in progress!
Lets continue finalizing the rest.

As you can see at the yellow line it gives out a 'Warning' for an issue in the map or cooking process.
The warning features an option in my map with a Static Mesh called "MatineeCam" which allows
the map to be viewed from spectating at a certain point in my map. This mesh is only supported on PC and will therefore not be cooked in my map for PS3 version. Its not a big deal and we can continue saving our map.

Be alert when you receive an 'Error' though. This will most likely STOP the cooking process until the error is fixed. So remind yourself about the differences in these two.

Its Succesfully done cooking in 8.95 seconds (in my case)
We are now prompted to either:
- Review the .ini file that is created (lets do nothing with that for now)

- Save our map. Ill just save it locally under C:\

If we go to our C:\ directory we will find that an USERDATA.JAM file is created which we will need to import to our PS3 in order for it to work. (Search another tutorial for that if you don't know how thats done)

NOTES:
- If your USERDATA.JAM is 33kb after cooking. The cooking most likely failed. Even if its said that it succedeed.
- Smaller maps and maps with little meshes will be around the 7 to 15 MB. More bigger maps like Warfare could be around the 20 to 40 MB.

- If the cooking process is done for PC. It will generate 2 files which can be found in the \Published directory in your User friendly UT3 directory. In my case, that would be a:
DM-Choices.ut3 file
and a:
DM-Choices_LOC_int.upk file
Which are [if correctly still placed in this folder] will automatically be shown in your Map Selection screen on UT3 PC.
Also, these maps can be used to put on dedicated servers for some online action.

Eur, did I forget something? I don't think so ^^
I hope you guys are a bit more educated about cooking maps.
If you have any questions regarding cooking maps or building maps! Hit me up!
PSN: Darkn3ss_is_QnL

Happy cooking and happy fragdays!

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
Crucial Sport 16GB 1866 RAM
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Kit 1M
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:27pm
Nice, I'll probably try Spirito tomorrow or sometime
depends on laziness
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Iuckshot

Nice, I'll probably try Spirito tomorrow or sometime
depends on laziness

Oh you can pass me the file as well if you want.
I was just in da mood.. xD
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:33pm
Well I was just gonna recook Spirito from the PC version here
link
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:42pm
Oh sure man. You give it a go first? (:
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:56pm
Yeah I'll do it sometime next week if you don't ;o
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:58pm

Yeah I'll do it sometime next week if you don't ;o

Haha surely im willing to cook it if you can't get it working ofc.
Im just curious how far you will get :P

After that, the question is, will I do get it working?
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:26pm
UnrealFrontEnd, Y U NO WORK?

I keep getting 33kb files, 0 errors and 0 warnings.
lDEATHl-MACHINE View Drop Down
Team iAM
Team iAM

Post Options Post Options   Quote lDEATHl-MACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:43pm
so wait, you just published cooking for dummies yet deflection is not cookd, or kargo?  hmmmm sounds like your the dummy lol jk
I am an Exit!psn KuPcAKeDESTR0YER.NoTh1nG__FaCe.Y1NsSeVeRiTy.SuM_RANDOMN008. Portal sits deep within the eye. The eye of Y1NsSeVeRiTy rewards understanding.XBLgametag lDEATHl MACHINE
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:13am
Its not like there are not finished.
They are both readyto be played. I just keep
on running into the same glitch when cooking the map for PS3
I let somebody else cook em for me.

@Dro: You get any errors after cooking?
Make sure you run the Unreal Frontend as 'Administrator'
Also make sure the file is loaded up and saved from the \unpublished folder
in the user friendly UT3 directory.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Iuckshot View Drop Down
Godlike Member
Godlike Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iuckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:17am
yeah at those 3 points lol (well, no @ errors one)
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 2:33am

yeah at those 3 points lol (well, no @ errors one)

I'll look into it tonight Dro.

1. Try opening the file in the Unreal Editor.
See if it even opens in there. If its not, might be that you accidently are trying to cook the wrong file.

2. Last but not least, go into your \Unpublished directory and see if the .ut3 is the ONLY file in there. Don't save any LOC_int.upk files there.

Other then that:
I haven't really digged into the process that you can recook an already published PC version of the map. (one of the 2 files you get from publishing a map for PC and servers: .ut3 and LOC_int.upk

I think you are trying to cook an ALREADY published UT3 file (like for instance the CTF-Spirito.ut3 file that was published for server use) ?

Perhaps, what Rico might have done for Incinerator is RESAVE and REBUILD the whole map in the editor, then save it on another name: Incinerator-LE. Which automically makes it an blank file i think.

Im wonderin if you need the untouched file or that it IS possible to recook an ALREADY cooked PC version...
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
TheVoid34 View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheVoid34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 3:41pm
Quick question: I've cooked my map for PS3, it has generated a few files, and also the USERDATA.JAM file. Do I just need to share the USERDATA.JAM file? Or any of the other files it generated? Do I rename the file, or just zip it and upload it?
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:23pm
No, dont rename the file. PS3 only reads that specific file name.

I suggest you put your USERDATA.JAM in a folder called DM-xxxxx or CTF-xxxxx etc. 
Then zip it up and distribute it so that people can download it.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
pr0b4b1l1ty5 View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote pr0b4b1l1ty5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 11:18pm
   Thank you for the tutorial Dark.... One last question, how do you do it on Ubuntu 12.04? LOL
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 12:22pm
Derp, no. I never used Ubuntu. I could help you with Linux, but Ubuntu is out of my mind.

You can just apply the procedure above but think the folders as Ubuntu way.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote pr0b4b1l1ty5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 11:58pm
I forgot to ask Dark, do you think you can cook Healpod3, RM-Barricade, and Woot CTF? Those are classic maps I am sure the community would love to have for Duel, TDM, and CTF. Just a thought. Getting a new computer soon, so I'll be sure to contribute once I do. Thanks again for the tutorial for us all.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:21am
I want to, but my cooking software is probably outdated or not in the right version.
My PS3 cooks in CTF glitch everywhere, like a big black box glitch on top of the flagstand, and cuts out pieces of kismet of the map.

Your better off laying this question on the Epic Forums. Besides, by the rules of Epic software nobody is allowed to re-cook any map unless the permission given by the author.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote pr0b4b1l1ty5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:00am
 I will have to start writing all these people for permisson then.... Wonder how many people will download Bunny Trails if I cook it?
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:16am
The probability is most likely 3%
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
hjason View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote hjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:47am
Hey darkness, Do you know how to create a mod?
i have been trying to to it all night long...
I am taking an old map and converting it.. but i think the converter is buggy..
it only gives me certain files and leaves the textures ect out...

plus the udk and ued is crashing everytime i try to build the map...
i hope you or someone can help me i wanna play this map in ut3 on the ps3 and pc..

Thanks
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 2:20am
Originally posted by hjason

i hope you or someone can help me i wanna play this map in ut3 on the ps3 and pc..

Thanks

How to create a mod? I have no idea. I think you misunderstand the difference between the cooking process of a level/map, or an actual mod. Or you can't describe it properly.

The missing textures are there because you dont have the unpublished author file which holds the .upk that the author created to hold all the texture, so simply said: Its because you are trying to build a map that has already been build and cooked because you have the cooked version of it. You would need the uncooked version / author file for that.

Solution: contact the author to have any issues fixed with the map.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
hjason View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote hjason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Darkn3ss

Thanks

How to create a mod? I have no idea. I think you misunderstand the difference between the cooking process of a level/map, or an actual mod. Or you can't describe it properly.

The missing textures are there because you dont have the unpublished author file which holds the .upk that the author created to hold all the texture, so simply said: Its because you are trying to build a map that has already been build and cooked because you have the cooked version of it. You would need the uncooked version / author file for that.

Actually it is modding the map. That is why when you install it, it goes into the mod browser...
At any rate i have been trying to "cook" this one map but it will not do it right.. i have to use unreal editor and stuff is missing when i convert it.. it is driving me insane...
Is there anyway you could help me with it?
thanks
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:46am

Originally posted by Darkn3ss

Thanks

Actually it is modding the map. That is why when you install it, it goes into the mod browser...
At any rate i have been trying to "cook" this one map but it will not do it right.. i have to use unreal editor and stuff is missing when i convert it.. it is driving me insane...
Is there anyway you could help me with it?
thanks

What help do you need?
If you are trying to re-cook a map from an existing author you should definitely ask his permission first! I wont agree on helping you if you are trying to do this.

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
 Post Reply Post Reply