Forum Home Forum Home > Unreal Tournament 3 > Unreal Tournament 3 > Tutorials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Duel Guide by PhysX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Noob
Noob

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PhysX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duel Guide by PhysX
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 4:14pm
Hello this is mouzldaddy also known as PhysX. Although many of you know i’m not that great of a player, I understand the fundamentals of dueling. We will begin with the game settings. Before you read this there will be no flaming and hating, if you have an opposition of something you read in my guide then please just tell me. I can edit and fix, also please give suggestions.

Settings:[\B]

*Ok, first off set all volume besides “Sound Effects” to 0 and the effects to 10

*Hide your weapon (if you use small weapon that is ok although it is best to start getting used to hidden, it will save you a lot of trouble. Also with small wep, the projectiles will move a couple pixels to the left or right (depending which side you have set the weapon to)

*Set crosshair to simple or hidden (you may think i’m crazy to suggest hidden but its not that hard to get used to) Normal is not recommended as I have noticed the shock rifle crosshair is not great for precision, and that some of the crosshairs are a couple pixels off (read it and saw proof somewhere online).

*Turn off custom characters as that can increase your ping and some people play as females on purpose as they are thinner (the hitbox is the same but the player appears a bit smaller).

*Use whatever input device you want (controller, mouse, etc:) all of them require skill so please don’t go on telling me “mouse is cheap” blah blah blah. Sure on a good day it can seem as if i’m an aim bot but it really comes into practice and emotion. If you go get a mouse (and it doesn't have to be a hundred dollar razer, I use a cheap wireless key and mouse combo and it's fine) you won’t just start hitting combos all day and never miss a snipe. Most of the time I go into instant action (since there's hardly anyone playing) and practice there. It isn’t like plug in and go on a massacre. Sorry for trying to make a point or something but they really all need skill and practice.

*Set post processing and brightness to max.

Now you have your settings down lets go on to map control (one of the most important parts of dueling)

Map Control:[\B]

Map control is when key items on the map are taken as they spawn. In UT3 some of these items are Belt, Vest and rocket. Yes weapons can be timed as well.

Spawn Time- (approximate, spawn times are rounded to full seconds)

*Shield Belt- 59 Seconds
*Any other armor- 27 seconds
*Weapons- 27 seconds

Warning- long example, summary under it but it is best to be read.
So you spawn by the thigh pads on deck.To get full advantage of your spawn take the pads, hop down to shock, then rocket. You will now have “the three” (the 3 weapons that are most efficient :D) Go through the teleport and check for the vest. Most likely the other person may have taken it since the spawn system tries to spawn people as far away as possible (with some other factors). But just in case it is best to check. If already taken go and stack on vials. Now soon the thigh will spawn again but since vest provides a better advantage at this point, it will be better to run around taking weapons for about 15 seconds (until vest re spawns) and come back. After the items respawn take vest, boots. Then the belt should spawn. Now you can use boots to shock, then to thigh (most people will try getting the belt so the thigh will be left over. Now before taking the belt make sure to hammer yourself so you can pick up vest and thigh again. Of course you are not the only person running around map trying to control the map. There is your opponent as well, for the most part ignore them. The frags will come by themselves while you are trying to control (they really do, it’s hard to explain but it just happens :D).

Great so you read a long example of controlling the map.The same things can be applied to any other map and spawn. Get the nearest weapon, and head for the nearest armor while taking the vials. Simple and easy, just re stack after they respawn. Also don’t forget to hammer yourself before taking belt if your armor is still not damaged so you can re stack on it.

Proper Weapon Selection:[\B]

This is simple but i'll just refresh it for some people.

First i’ll give each weapon, the damage, and what it should be used for (skip if you already know this information)

Rocket Launcher-

Primary: 100 dmg
Secondary: up to 300 dmg

Ahh, everyone's favorite choice. At least it should be. This is the most versatile weapon in any arena FPS, and in UT it can’t get any more versatile. From spirals to grenades, and a plain old classic dumbfire. To shoot a spiral Hold secondary for as many rockets you want to spiral (up to 3) and press primary fire once. For grenades same thing, up to three but this time press primary fire twice. For the most part stick to a simple one shot rocket, if you know the enemy is going to be somewhere charge up one or two for a chance at more damage. It is best to charge up a triple when going for belt because most of the time the other person will want to get it well. Grenades are good for when you think or someone will be somewhere but can’t get in because it may be dangerous to do so. Also if you are running away (great for ctf).

Shock rifle:

Primary- 45 dmg
Secondary- 50 dmg
Combo- up to 250 dmg

My personal favorite, and great for any distance. When up close spam shock cores (careful as you may damage yourself as well). In mid distance primary and combos are best, and in long range primary or cores for prediction purposes. Moving combos aren’t that important, it’s one thing to hit a moving combo, it’s another thing to get a frag with that combo. Stick to standing ones, they are most effective.

Sniper Rifle:

Primary- 70 dmg
Secondary- (scope)
Head- 140 dmg (no it’s not one hit, it does dmg, but most of the time it is)

Great for mid to long distance. It’s one of those “raw weapons”. No matter what, if you hit you will do 70 dmg. (sometimes 0 or 140, but for the most part you will just hit for 70). Nothing much that can be said for this weapon other than if you hear the enemy do a loud yell/groan then take out your mini and finish them off (now I have noticed some people fire a sniper and take out mini thinking i’m done when im almost full stacked on armor, it is nice to see that they know how to use it but its annoying since mini is a bit overpowered. If you don’t have a mini then take out your enforcer.

I will not explain the other weapons since I don't use them very much (kind of cheap) but you can find them in the weapon guide here.

Unpredictable

Being unpredictable is hard thing to explain. If you're in combat don’t just dodge left and right, instead you must think about the situation. Dodge left, left again, then right to confuse the opponent. If you're in deck and and low on health,don’t go straight in for the bubbles by the lifts, as you are a sitting duck there, vulnerable and weak. Instead tap the lifts so the other person thinks you are going up, take the bubbles and run way. That way you will have sometimes to ignore the enemy rather than getting comboed easily. I wish I could explain more but this also depends on your opponent and your experience.

Movement:     
In UT we have the ability to dodge, wall jump, jump, and double jump. We can also do Impact hammer jumps (mmmm my favorite :D), AVRiL dodge jumps in Vctf (don’t underestimate), and shock core jumps (very hard to time). We will begin with dodging. To dodge you need to press either left or right, then tap jump. To wall jump simply jump by a wall and do a dodge. To double jump obviously just tap jump twice. Best thing to do is to learn how to dodge consistently and effectively to move around the maps faster, when by a wall wall jumps can help go a bit faster as well. To hammer jump, I notice a lot of people charge their hammers and in duel there is no point as you just waste health, become easily known of your location, and overall it takes more time as well. Simply tap fire and jump like a millisecond after, if you jump first a millisecond after you will fail XD (really I always mess up that way). For a Shock Core jump before and then fire quickly afterwards, there is a high chance of messing up so don’t expect to get it that easily and it isn’t as effective as a hammer jump since it requires more health. For AVRiL, in Vctf fire and dodge at the same time. Best to be done with jump boots and requires some practice. In sandstorm, go up the lift, use boots. Then fire, dodge quickly afterwards, and use boots to the backward alleyway area. It takes about the same amount of health as a hammer jump and requires no downtime for charging, but it is not as versatile as a hammer jump.

Thanks for reading this guide. I understand that there are some things missing but this is just a raw start. I might add some more later on. Thanks good luck, and see you in the arenas!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:32pm
Stop telling them what I tell you noob :)
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:20pm
You are kind of 3y too late with that stuff.
Nothing against u, but I didnt read it.
Imho, You cant write a tut if you havent played the best around here.
Read Phantaci's duel thread. It has steps which even describe how many shots you can survive and how many damage each weapon does.

iAM duel guide for beginners

iAM duel guide made by a duel monster
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
Crucial Sport 16GB 1866 RAM
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Kit 1M
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:23pm
Why baggin on him if he wanted to make this on his spare time he can. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a life? hahaha :o
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:24pm
Do you have a life besides posting links to the other NO lifes that made those? or are they too kool and have lifes ?
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:29pm
I edited my post mikey. Stop actin all holy and sh1t. I was just tryin to make a point.
Nothing against him though.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
PhysX View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhysX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:29pm
I do have a life lol, this wasn't made in one sitting :P just wrote a little here and there and eventually completed it. @Mikey, lol don't remember you telling me much of this :P mostly stuff I learned on xbox. Yea I was just bored is all
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:34pm
I didnt meant it that way, anyway good job.
btw, dodging left, left and right again is called strafing.
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
PhysX View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhysX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:36pm
Oh about three years too late :P, these ideas/concepts can be applied to any game as well, be it Nexuiz, Quake, or even Halo.
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 6:48pm
It could, but what you just said does not apply for your post. Those are UT3 specific settings.

For  your post,
- It could need to be more specific. You scrapped out half of all the weapons at the weapons explanation? why? There are no such thing as proper weapons. I have seen the best duelers running around with a Bio rifle as their favourite weapon. Explain some more about those weapons too. Why is it good to use Flak up close or use the Bio rifle when you opponent has 250 armor/health?

- Give some more feedback on how to think what opponents might do and what you can do to prevent that:
1. You mention unpredictable, but thats just a small aspect of the part of an unexpected kill on an opponent. In a sirious duel, when you go heads to heads, you dont worry about getting a beautiful kill. If you would hit your opponent with one rocket and leave him with 20health, you would quickly switch to your enforcer/stinger to QUICKLY get the easy kill. that might be useful for beginner duelers.
2. Figure out what your opponents favourite weapon is and try to take that away from him/her as there is a respawn timelimit to weapon spawns in duel.
Etcetera.

Your information is good, but it needs more organistation and detail.
Still, good work and keep it up.

PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by PhysX

I do have a life lol, this wasn't made in one sitting :P just wrote a little here and there and eventually completed it. @Mikey, lol don't remember you telling me much of this :P mostly stuff I learned on xbox. Yea I was just bored is all

HA just kidding bro. lb/m ftw ? LOl. :D
PhysX View Drop Down
Noob
Noob

Post Options Post Options   Quote PhysX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 7:11pm
Thanks for the feedback! Yea, should have taken a little more time with this, but yes ill see if I have time later on to improve it (lol took long enough just to do this :P). About weapons, I didn't feel like there was a point in explaining them when I myself don't use them, I see what you mean about your opponent being stacked and all. Will try adding those later (will try using them in later duels). I had a question for you but didn't know how to ask, could you cook the character "Damarus" for ps3? Not really sure about what can be done in return for you but would appreciate it! :D
Looking to duel, add mouzldaddy
SIZZLE View Drop Down
Team oOPS
Team oOPS

I'm your huckle berry

Post Options Post Options   Quote SIZZLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:11am
Paw Weezy's tips>all
sHoCkD_Yo_aSs is a novice bot
Darkn3ss View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote Darkn3ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:17am
Originally posted by PhysX

Thanks for the feedback! Yea, should have taken a little more time with this, but yes ill see if I have time later on to improve it (lol took long enough just to do this :P). About weapons, I didn't feel like there was a point in explaining them when I myself don't use them, I see what you mean about your opponent being stacked and all. Will try adding those later (will try using them in later duels). I had a question for you but didn't know how to ask, could you cook the character "Damarus" for ps3? Not really sure about what can be done in return for you but would appreciate it! :D

I can't, I dont have the original file. You should ask a buddy of mine: Euchreplayer32 from the Epic Forums if he can help ya out with that question ;)
PC Specs:

Intel i5-4960K 3.4GHz
GeForce GTX970 4GB VRAM
Antec 1100 Tower Case
2x 2TB Seagate HDD
2x 256GB Samsung SSD
ColossusSlayer View Drop Down
Team Devil
Team Devil

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColossusSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 6:37am
Dark has a point, its a few years late but good attempt for sure.

Had a few duels with Weaponized yesterday, if ya read this bro then ggs it was intense.
 Post Reply Post Reply